Room temperature cheesecake ???

Thank you. I thought maybe my utter lack of appreciation for Lindy's was due to my tourist ignorance. Here we were -- at LINDY's (!!) -- and I was so un-awed. I did like the cheesecake from the Little Pie Company. So much better than Lindy's.

I suspect that Lindy's survived in large part due to it's prime location and the large company that backed it. Riese, took over the name of the restaurant after it had been closed for some time but w/o the cooperation or recipes from the original owner. Riese, and it's interaction with Lindy's became a case study in hospitality school's law classes. I haven't tried the Little Pie Company's cheesecake since I can't resist the sour cream apple pie;).

Interesting.
ingredients from the first (obituary) link:
Recipe of a Lifetime: Junior's Cheesecake
1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons sifted cornstarch
30 ounces (3 3/4 large packages) cream cheese, softened
1 large egg
1/2 cup heavy (whipping) cream
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract.

ingredients from the second link:
  • For the Sponge Cake Crust
  • Softened unsalted butter (for buttering the pan)
  • 1⁄3 cup sifted cake flour
  • 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
  • Pinch of table salt
  • 2 extra-large eggs (separated)
  • 1⁄3 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 drops pure lemon extract
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
  • 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • For the Batter
  • 4 (8-ounce) packages Philadelphia cream cheese (use only full fat, at room temperature)
  • 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
  • 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 2 extra-large eggs
  • 3⁄4 cup heavy whipping cream
I guess now I wouldn't trust either recipe. Doesn't matter. My mom made the best New York style cheesecake.

Well, there is one way to find out which recipe is closest to the original and that is to make each one and decide for yourself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter