Room service...what am I missing?

Lillebelle

Luck favors the prepared
We have only sailed a few times, but every time, we think we're going to do room service a bunch, and then have almost never remembered or felt we had a need. Are we missing out? Do you use room service a lot, and if so, when and for what? It just feels like food is so ubiquitous on the ships, very rarely do I find myself hungry and needing more...

We only use room service to get our embarkation day Mickey Bar, that we enjoy on our verandah. We do not snack or eat outside of regular meals, so there is absolutely no need for us to use room service. We feel we are always going to a meal or just finished eating while onboard.

We have only done breakfast. We order the night before and have it delivered at 5:30am, we are early risers. Cabanas doesn’t open until 7:00am for continental and 7:30am full buffet. That is to late for us so we do room service for breakfast then go to cabanas for brunch when they are fully open.

Our sail away routine is to order the All Hands on Deck cheese plate. I also order a carafe of coffee each evening. The carafes keep it warm so I do not have to make a trek to the pool deck for my first cup in the morning.

We have only sailed a few times, but every time, we think we're going to do room service a bunch, and then have almost never remembered or felt we had a need. Are we missing out? Do you use room service a lot, and if so, when and for what? It just feels like food is so ubiquitous on the ships, very rarely do I find myself hungry and needing more...
Only time we've used room service was when my husband was quarantined to the room for 24 hours. (Pre-COVID). I wasn't quarantined - go figure - but I didn't want to leave him there by himself.

Like Schmoo, we used it once when my DH got noro and was confined to the room--they even offered to bring him anything from the MDRs to make up for being quarantined, but he was too sick to want anything!

The only room service kind of thing I've done personally is pre-order a bottle of champagne to have in the room on embarkation day. Made unpacking a lot more fun, plus we toasted the sail away from our veranda.

I've heard some people like to do cookies and milk before bedtime. While I think that's a cute idea in theory, in practice that would mean my kids are getting crumbs and chocolate smears all over them (and probably on the beds too) before bed, which just seems gross. Maybe works better for older kids who are less messy eaters.

If I'm hungry outside of mealtimes, I'd rather go up to the pool deck and grab a quick bite from the fast food places (love trying the pizza of the day--there have been some fun ones!) or a soft serve cone to eat while watching the funnel vision. The cafes (cove cafe and the one overlooking the atrium on deck 4 of the dream/fantasy) also have a case full of treats, and the atrium one has the bonus of being able to see characters out and about. We don't spend too much time in the room so I wouldn't want to wait around in my room for someone to deliver a snack. And for mealtimes, I enjoy the ambiance of the MDRs and the views from Cabanas too much to want dinner in my room, and unless we ever stay in a suite (not likely) the room furniture isn't really set up for a sit down meal for a family of 5.

Last edited:
The only time we typically use room service on a DCL cruise is to order "all hands on deck" (cheese & crackers) in the afternoon. We enjoyed having some wine & cheese on our veranda on sea days.

We order coffee every night before we turn in. The carafe keeps it hot until morning, so that we can enjoy coffee on the verandah in our pjs.

(also, room service coffee is the same as what you get in the MDR, and not the awful junk that’s served at Cabanas - so that’s a big plus)

Use room service all the time! Almost every evening for a Mickey bar :) My last cruise (Transatlantic), I got a nasty sinus cold and only left my room for dining room dinner. I ordered breakfast and lunch for pretty much 4 or 5 days, mostly the tomato soup cause my throat was sore but also a fruit plate and that helped too (OMG their grapes were huge!).

Is there a mini fridge in the rooms?
Yes there are :)

We ordered room service every night on our cruise. Sometimes salads and sandwiches or chicken tenders but every night a Mickey ice cream bar and warm chocolate chip cookies to make a cookie Mickey bar sandwich. Gained 5 pounds though. 😂

We do room service breakfast when we have early port adventures...it's both a wake up call and breakfast while we're getting ready to go.... typically once per cruise. (Bunch of pastries, cereal boxes, fruit bowls, pot of coffee, milk etc.) Have also done snacks on the last night of our cruises...all hands on deck cheese plate, mickey ice cream bars and last time we also got a side of fries.

Sometimes you don't want to mess with Deck 9 too. Cesar salad with chicken strips (no fries) and baked Mac & Cheese is a big lunch. Eating it on your verandah makes it a ki!ler lunch.

All Hands on Deck and our hot wings...we love their wings!! Always plan a night in with room service one night. The dining staff was missing us on our 3nt...Palo, dinner in room and then we finally went to MDR...had to at least make an appearance! 😁

We also do all hands on deck when we have a verandah. We also prefer to have breakfast brought to the room than to deal with the crowds in Cabanas so we typically do that unless we have a brunch reservation or want to eat in the dining room on a sea day.

OK I'm definitely feeling like the answer to 'what am I missing' was 'All Hands On Deck cheese plate' haha. I do love me a good cheese plate, and sipping wine with cheese in the afternoon sounds lovely.

I'm curious, for those that have ordered Mickey bars...do you get just Mickey bars? I think I'm having trouble shaking the 'minimum order mentality' of ordering DoorDash.

Thanks for the thoughts all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!