Room ready frustration

k_hase

Mouseketeer
Caveat: I know rooms can officially be ready after 4pm. I do not anticipate pre-4pm rooms.

Here I am, at Beach Club since 9:15AM, at 4:45 without a room. It’s a Saturday. Am I to believe that not one DVC room has been cleaned between 11 and 4? When I called, and then reiterated at the desk, that any one bedroom would be fine, could it be true that none, not even one, is clean 5.5 hours post check out? If it’s a full house/slow day I’m lost. If it’s a massive turn over day I’m still lost.

For reference, I’ve gone to check in person at 9:15, 3:30, and 4:30.

I feel your pain, this happened to us 2 weeks ago at the beach club also. We arrived at 10:30am and our 2 bedroom villa wasn’t ready until after 4pm. They said it was due to it being a larger unit.
Have a great rest of your vacation

Caveat: I know rooms can officially be ready after 4pm. I do not anticipate pre-4pm rooms.

Here I am, at Beach Club since 9:15AM, at 4:45 without a room. It’s a Saturday. Am I to believe that not one DVC room has been cleaned between 11 and 4? When I called, and then reiterated at the desk, that any one bedroom would be fine, could it be true that none, not even one, is clean 5.5 hours post check out? If it’s a full house/slow day I’m lost. If it’s a massive turn over day I’m still lost.

For reference, I’ve gone to check in person at 9:15, 3:30, and 4:30.

A couple years ago we were staying at Copper Creek over Thanksgiving when they first opened. We attempted to check in around 3pm but the room wasn’t ready. The cast member said it wouldn’t be long so we hung out in the lobby with our young kids (we also had a dinner reservation at Whispering Canyon that night). The room ended up being ready around 4:40. The CM was really sweet and comp’d our dinner (for 7 of us) at Whispering Canyon! We never expected it and didn’t even complain, it was just some classic Disney service.

Hopefully the CM you deal with can helps you guys out as well. Not sure if this means anything but the CM who helped us was clearly a veteran, not a CP. They may be more seasoned when it comes to service recovery.

The reason check-out and check-in time is so far apart is because these rooms aren't normal hotel rooms. Housekeeping isn't sitting around doing nothing. These are large rooms with multiple bathrooms, pullout couches, kitchens, dishes, etc. Would you prefer a room that wasn't clean and sanitary? They aren't just changing a couple sheets. These are essentially small homes they need to ready day of for the next guest. I'd prefer to wait a little longer and have rooms in the condition that I have gotten (perfect). If you are getting rooms that aren't clean and up to standards, that's a different conversation.

You get charged for an extra day. And delay someone else getting their room.
Right, and that is fine for charging someone for not leaving early and delaying someone else. But they need to do right on their end as well. Disney should be held to the same standard they hold their guest to. And I guess this doesn't happen that often, right? I mean I guess there are times (rare, I am thinking) that this does happen this late into the day?

No, with DVC rooms, 4 means AFTER 4, but sometimes if you are very lucky before 4. DVC check in is AFTER 4PM, not AT 4PM.
Ok, I really didn't know it meant after 4. That really stack the cards in their favor as to when they get you in your room.

Is this also the case if you booked a BCV room through Disney as a hotel rate with housekeeping? We booked a BCV studio instead of a boardwalk room because we knew it would guarantee us a single bed for our couples trip without kids. We have a super early flight and plan on eating at F&W and then wanting a brief nap. It would be bad if we didn’t get into our room until 5pm.

Is this also the case if you booked a BCV room through Disney as a hotel rate with housekeeping? We booked a BCV studio instead of a boardwalk room because we knew it would guarantee us a single bed for our couples trip without kids. We have a super early flight and plan on eating at F&W and then wanting a brief nap. It would be bad if we didn’t get into our room until 5pm.
For cash reservations at the villas, the check-in time is listed as 4:00pm (not after). Hotel check-in is 3:00pm.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/resorts/check-in/
But I’m not sure if the resort knows the difference and has cash rooms ready first. My guess is yes.

Off the wall question that someone here may know. We rented points for Disney's Hilton Head Resort next weekend. Since it's a DVC resort is check in at 4? I'm just accustomed to the 3 pm check in (we are not DVC) at the world. It doesn't matter as I will adjust the time we head out if it's so.

Off the wall question that someone here may know. We rented points for Disney's Hilton Head Resort next weekend. Since it's a DVC resort is check in at 4? I'm just accustomed to the 3 pm check in (we are not DVC) at the world. It doesn't matter as I will adjust the time we head out if it's so.
If the reservation was made using points (which rentals are), check-in is AFTER 4pm. Could be 4. Could be 6.

I don’t think it is unreasonable to expect your room to be ready by 4pm no matter what leeway they like to give themselves in the fine print. You are paying for a room night and need use of the room at a reasonable time. When we were checking out of VGF the other day, they started knocking on our door at 9:30am to see if we had vacated yet to start cleaning. Not everyone stays until 11 on checkout day. We did a split stay this trip and 2 of our rooms were ready for us by 10:30am and another was ready at 1:30pm.

If the reservation was made using points (which rentals are), check-in is AFTER 4pm. Could be 4. Could be 6.
We were planning on arriving around 4 because I didn't want to show up at 3 and the room not be ready so now we will plan on showing up at 5 to be safe :)

The reason check-out and check-in time is so far apart is because these rooms aren't normal hotel rooms. Housekeeping isn't sitting around doing nothing. These are large rooms with multiple bathrooms, pullout couches, kitchens, dishes, etc. Would you prefer a room that wasn't clean and sanitary? They aren't just changing a couple sheets. These are essentially small homes they need to ready day of for the next guest. I'd prefer to wait a little longer and have rooms in the condition that I have gotten (perfect). If you are getting rooms that aren't clean and up to standards, that's a different conversation.

This doesn’t actually make sense. It’s not like the rooms suddenly got complicated. You staff according to the need. If the individual rooms take longer to clean, you have a larger contingent of cleaning staff to manage it.

An analogy would be an extremely large hotel (eg. Think a Las Vegas hotel with over 4,000 rooms). You wouldn’t say “This isn’t your typical hotel. There are so many rooms, it just takes longer to clean”.

What I think is more likely is the variability of DVC cleaning. For example, a normal hotel cleans every single room daily. So, cleaning time is a known quantity (with people who opt out of housekeeping as a bonus savings).

Whereas, DVC rooms are only cleaned... what... every 5 days, or for new guests. So, the cleaning need is variable and based on when people check in and out. Some days it may be 25% of the resort, and some days it could be 60% of the rooms.

This would be a case of the cleaning staff being overwhelmed. So, perhaps a result of management not planning for the need, or being unable to book the appropriate number of flex staff required.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter