Room charge dispute-what do you think? Update on page 5

Sounds like the front desk clerk pocketed $20.

I think you're unfortunately going to have to eat the $20 and chalk it up to a lesson learned. Never overpay anything with cash.

I agree with part one but not part 2. If they cannot prove that he underpaid, and signed off that he paid the correct amount, then it is a lesson learned for Disney, not the customer. He is in no way liable for their theft and/Or mistake.

I agree with part one but not part 2. If they cannot prove that he underpaid, and signed off that he paid the correct amount, then it is a lesson learned for Disney, not the customer. He is in no way liable for their theft and/Or mistake.

Yeah, but it's $20. The amount of time it will take to fight this with Disney probably isn't worth it. My time is worth about $20/hr and this will take much longer than that to resolve.

I'd tell this story far and wide though, and never return to that hotel.

Yeah, but it's $20. The amount of time it will take to fight this with Disney probably isn't worth it. My time is worth about $20/hr and this will take much longer than that to resolve.

Yeah the more I thought about it the more I agree. Time = money and it would take more than $20 worth of time to resolve this. Maybe sending an email is the best way, as one would not have to hang out on hold and transfers that way.

When I'm at Home I prefer to pay cash for nearly everything.
When I'm traveling I pay lodging, car rentals, Airline charges, and most bills, except restaurants, with a CC so that if necessary I can dispute spurious bills.

I agree it’s not worth spending a ton of time on. This interaction today was by email and I’ve sent one final email requesting it be escalated to a manager. $20 isn’t a big deal.
I’m more irritated by the fact that they would do business in this manner.

I always pay with my CC for everything. Like every little purchase I make anywhere. I paid cash at Disney because I’m Canadian and had US cash on hand. It was a better choice than paying the foreign currency transaction fees with my CC. Kind of funny that the one time I pay cash something like this happens.

If they charged the 20 on your credit card to get the “missing” money, I would dispute that with the credit card company.

If they charged the 20 on your credit card to get the “missing” money, I would dispute that with the credit card company.
This ...what did they charge the $20 on?

Also, I know Canadian cards are different but maybe find one without international fees? The conversation rates are pretty much always better than exchangeing cash.

OP said upthread that they purposely overpaid the room charges in cash so there would be a balance to use on the last day. They paid $600 cash, but owed a lesser amount. The $20 was deducted from the extra they had pre-paid in cash. So hypothetically (since it was never specified what was owed), they owed $550, but paid $600 so they could charge $50 worth the following day and have it covered. The hotel deducted $20 from that, leaving him with only $30 to spend the next day vs the $50 it should have been. There's no credit card company to lodge a dispute with as it was paid in cash. The receipt however should be all the proof needed. If the hotel made an error counting the money and writing out the receipt, that's on them. There's no way to prove that an error was made at this point, so they have to go off the receipt and should refund the $20.

This is why we have these.

If you have a receipt showing you paid $600, that's the end of it. If the drawer was off at the end of the day, that's not your problem, the receipt says what you did. I'd find a way to scan the receipt into your computer and start making phone calls.

I agree, scan the receipt and send it to them, and ask them where the extra $20 came from.

As far as I’m concerned I have a receipt showing I paid $600.

Then there you go.

I’d love to but they helped themselves to the money. They have it already. I didn’t see it until after they settled the account.

So you didn’t notice it until you were home?

You talk about them charging without your knowledge, but I’m sure you had a receipt from that last day, so you had the ability to notice it while still there.

And to set up charging to your room you *had to* use a card of some sort to begin with. None of this hit that card?

My time is worth about $20/hr and this will take much longer than that to resolve.

Ah, for me an infinite amount of time is worth it to stop an injustice. :)

Kind of funny that the one time I pay cash something like this happens.

Sure. It’s hard to miscount a credit card change. Cash is easy to miscount. There’s no surprise that a miscount on some side of things happened when you used the only method of payment where that can happen.

If that's the case perhaps you would consider sending the original poster the $20.00?? It's easy to say it's not worth it until it happens to you and it's your money.
That's just my opinion.

I'd take 5 minutes to write an email and 5 minutes to take the phone call when guest services follows up. This is something that definitely needs to be addressed by management and, with the proper receipts, restitution needs to be made. This is a failure of Disney Management. I'm sure they saw that receipts were issued to your account. The fact that this was handled this way means that someone is in need of additional training.

~NM

If that's the case perhaps you would consider sending the original poster the $20.00?? It's easy to say it's not worth it until it happens to you and it's your money.
That's just my opinion.

I'd take 5 minutes to write an email and 5 minutes to take the phone call when guest services follows up. This is something that definitely needs to be addressed by management and, with the proper receipts, restitution needs to be made. This is a failure of Disney Management. I'm sure they saw that receipts were issued to your account. The fact that this was handled this way means that someone is in need of additional training.

~NM

I've written off small amounts of money before rather than pursue it. It's just not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. The OP has already communcated with management and hit a dead end. Pursuing it further will require a signifcant effort at this point. I'd do it for a $100+ mistake. Not for $20.

I wouldn't "write it off" like a PP suggested. It's the principal of the thing. If a company charges me any amount of money without my consent, I would pursue it. It's not the dollar value, but completely inappropriate. Just like if you stole a $20 item from the store and Disney caught you, they would expect you to pay. They wouldn't just "write it off". This $20 was an unauthorized charge. Just call your credit card company dispute department. They'll handle it for you. Good luck.

I think I paid $600, the front desk CM applied $600 to my account. They later added a $20 charge and now that I’m questioning it, they are saying I paid $580 not $600 so they had to add a $20 charge to correct. I think this is pretty shady. And I’m surprised by their attitude that they can make a correction like this without talking to me about It. If there was in fact a mistake (seems unlikely we both miscounted), then I think it’s on them to write it off. It’s only $20 but I’m really surprised they think this is an ok business practice. As far as I’m concerned I have a receipt showing I paid $600.

How do they know it was your transaction that the CM messed up? Maybe CM kept the money. Maybe the $20 was short for another guest, where maybe they didn't count out the money. If you have a receipt, CM keyed in they received the full amount from you and it should not appear as shorted. They don't have anything to support what they are doing. Just on principle that I would not let it go. Send copies of the receipt etc to the Manager of the Resort and Corporate, with CC noted so Manager of Resort knows you aren't leaving it just to them to resolve. They need to know this in case they have a "problem" on the front line, or in the deposit process or back room. This may be happening to lots of folks who just let it go.

Every once in awhile I’ll be confused by an amount being charged to my credit card, however, when I investigate the charge I tend to find the charge was for something that I forgot I bought :)
Sometimes charges don’t immediately hit the hotel bill. Thus something bought a few days earlier like at DS or whatever, may not actually be charged until later, even after you’ve settled your bill. To verify that OP did indeed not get the correct amount refunded OP would need to add up every item they purchased (including food & tips) through out the entire stay - not just the last day - and compare that to what they actually were charged.

I agree with don't let it go. Even if you don't push getting the money back...at least speak your mind!
My husband & I are excellent tippers. We would go to this one curbside place in the summer and order the same food every week. We then would mix it up a little by traveling to the same curbside place but in another town. We noticed our meal was like $2.50 more at the other food place. We looked at the menus..same prices....tax percentage....same.

Here the lovely server was tipping herself beforehand & then getting our tip again when we paid the bill!!! Yeah you can say it was only $2.50...but that adds up when you consider other people she is doing this to.
This CM could be doing the same. Plus she could have started out at $2 or $5 and no one batted an eye so she worked her way up. $$:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter