• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rolling coolers - not allowed??

eeyoregon

I have DDD: Disney Destination DISorder
Ok, so I bought a soft sided rolling cooler for our upcoming Western Cruise. I received a welcome information packet in the mail from DCL and in the "what not to bring on board" section, it clearly states: NO outside food, drinks or coolers can be brought on board with the exception for medication storage or special dietary requirements. :confused3

I'm bummed. I'm a single Mom on a MAJOR budget and was hoping to bring my own bottled water and canned soda for use in the room and shore excursions plus I have Crohn's disease and can not possibly risk drinking the beverages in foreign countries! :sad2:

Sorry this is so lengthy, but here is my question: how do others get their coolers on board? Do you leave it folded up and hidden in another suitcase?

Thanks for the help. :thumbsup2

You simply roll it into the terminal, they put it thru the security scan, and you go upstairs to check in. IDK why they keep that part on the website & in the docks because they do NOT enforce it. We pack the soda & beer in the cooler & just roll it along. No need to hide anything.

Everyone's reported success with bringing rolling coolers onboard. Just make sure it doesn't have ice or anything that will leak and it has to fit thru the x-ray machine. Why do you need the rolling cooler? Not trying to get personal but sodas, coffee, hot chocolate, etc are free on deck nine at the beverage station around the clock as well as during meals. There is also a fridge type cooler box in the room. Just wanted to make sure you knew this.

eeyoregon said:
Ok, so I bought a soft sided rolling cooler for our upcoming Western Cruise. I received a welcome information packet in the mail from DCL and in the "what not to bring on board" section, it clearly states: NO outside food, drinks or coolers can be brought on board with the exception for medication storage or special dietary requirements. :confused3

Sorry this is so lengthy, but here is my question: how do others get their coolers on board? Do you leave it folded up and hidden in another suitcase?

Thanks for the help. :thumbsup2

Don't pay it any mind. That paragraph has been there for ages and it just seems to be an escape clause..just do not pack real ice.

Having closed containers that can be taken off the ship in port is a great thing. :) The kids have juice boxes & we take a couple bottles of water or soda for us. Some people don't like Coke products so take their own supply of their favorites for the cruise.

:cool1: Thanks for the info! I will just act like I know what I'm doing :rotfl2: and roll that puppy right on board! I was aware of the cooling boxes in the rooms but was under the impression that they aren't very efficient.

I was mostly concerned because I was counting on using the cooler for our shore excursions so I can pack food but more importantly, sealed beverages. Us folks with Crohn's have enough problems without adding travelers diarrhea to the equation :rotfl:

Thanks again - what would I do without you guys?? :thumbsup2

There is a slight chance a DCL employee will ask you if it's a cooler. Like the others said, it's not like they really care. I was asked about mine outside the port where the luggage handlers are. I replied, "This is part of my carry on luggage." No further questions were asked.

Hey, I just got to thinking...if questioned about contents, I will tell them there is medication inside that must be refridgerated (which would be the truth) - they don't need to know it's typhoid vaccine medication that is the size of a box of tic-tacs :rotfl2:

Oh, and thanks for the juice box idea as I hadn't thought of those. Sport drinks would be nice too or maybe even a few wine coolers for mama! :banana:

Can't believe we only have 23 days until our 1st Disney Cruise! :Pinkbounc

ROFL! No need to lie about it. :) They are going to be able to see what is in the cooler when it goes thru the xray machine. The porters will even offer to have it delivered to your room if there is no glass in it.

well mine looks like a piece of luggage so i am going to pack jusice, water and other items inside. I will just check it in
have a good time.

Our disney rolling cooler had 2 bottles of wine and bottled water in it. The only thing we were asked is if it had ice in it which we replied no. It was no problem.

And the cooler thing in the room doesn't work very well. It wouldn't keep anything cold. Our room steward kept ice in our rolling cooler all week for us.

Just an FYI if you do have the disney one from disneydirect.com and you plan to keep ice in it all the time in your room take some trash bags with you. When the ice starts to melt it makes the outside of the cooler wet. We put the ice down in the bag and then the drinks on top of the ice.

lbgraves said:
The porters will even offer to have it delivered to your room if there is no glass in it.

Is this true? That would be great if when we board the ship and they actually take it and put it in your room so I don't have to lug it around. Good point. I hope that's true. I just got the rolling cooler that was on the boards at Dillards for $10. What a bargain!!! And it looks like luggage.

I bought 2 of the $10 coolers recently (Thanks to HappyLawyer!) and my neighbor/best friend was more than happy to take the other one off my hands. It was such a good buy that I knew that someone would love to have one. I'm planning on using it for our 7 night in June and I'm really hoping that they will take it to the room so I won't have to lug it around. I just keep looking at it wondering how much I can fit into it! :teeth:

:thumbsup2 You guys are the best!! Thanks for calming me down - would hate to get kicked off my first DC for rolling cooler violations :rotfl:

The more I think about it, it look like luggage so I may just pack that puppy full of ??? and check it with the other luggage.

Thanks again guys...oh and stop reminding me of your great $10 bargain as I paid $19.99 for mine :lmao:

LADYnTRAMP said:
I bought 2 of the $10 coolers recently (Thanks to HappyLawyer!) and my neighbor/best friend was more than happy to take the other one off my hands. It was such a good buy that I knew that someone would love to have one. I'm planning on using it for our 7 night in June and I'm really hoping that they will take it to the room so I won't have to lug it around. I just keep looking at it wondering how much I can fit into it! :teeth:
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: Yeah- that's right, i'm bad :banana:

Holds like 52 cans. I wanted a new soft sided rolling one for wrestling season. I also needed one for our trip, as we are doing 11 days at wdw and then a 7 day cruise, and wanted it in the room to keep maybe milk cold for the boys in the morning and if we bring any food back from dinner, like dessert. So since we won't be coming home first we will be bringing it on the ship with us, I'm going to stop and get bottled water first, But I could pack our swim stuff and take it on board, with my laptop and new camera in it. One carry on here we go.

we are about to begin softball season, so i can use my cooler for so much more then just the cruise.

mum of two pirates said:
Holds like 52 cans. I wanted a new soft sided rolling one for wrestling season. I also needed one for our trip, as we are doing 11 days at wdw and then a 7 day cruise, and wanted it in the room to keep maybe milk cold for the boys in the morning and if we bring any food back from dinner, like dessert. So since we won't be coming home first we will be bringing it on the ship with us, I'm going to stop and get bottled water first, But I could pack our swim stuff and take it on board, with my laptop and new camera in it. One carry on here we go.
We must have the same one. I got mine at Sam's. I paid 24.00. I like it. DOes yours have a draw string top on so that you can put things you do not want to keep cold? That is geat also :thumbsup2

Yes, we rolled our Disney cooler right up to the ole security checkpoint. My husband was freaking out the entire time. I kept saying "don't worry"!....We had sodas and a case of beer in it (which we bought at a grocery store near the terminal). The guy said "I guess you have water in here, right?" with a smile on his face. And we said yes. Then we rolled it right up the escalator and got on the ship! We kept ice in it for our drinks because, as others stated earlier, the "cooler" in the room isn't very cool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter