Roku ideas

solfan68

DIS Veteran
So talk to me about my new Roku Box. What can I do besides stream Netflix(the main reason that drew me to it initially) ? I want to get some good bang for my buck on this techno wonder. TIA.

So talk to me about my new Roku Box. What can I do besides stream Netflix(the main reason that drew me to it initially) ? I want to get some good bang for my buck on this techno wonder. TIA.

Crackle - Free, older tv shows like Benson & Soap. And some older movies, Davinchi Code was one I remeber seeing. There are commercials, but only 30 seconds.

Hulu Plus _ $7.50/month. Can watch current tv shows, usually the day after live airing. Also older shows. My Roku gave a free 1 month trial, so check your paperwork that came with the box.

Weather channel - free

Crunchy - if you or kids are into Anime

Roku also offers Amazon streaming video - Amazon has much newer releases than Netflix; you just pay per rental (movies and tv shows). Also, if you have Amazon Prime, they offer (I think) 5000+ movie/show rentals included with the Prime membership.

There are new channels added all the time, but Netflix is by far the best! None of the others get much action at my house. We dropped Huluplus and several others after their free trials were over.

We use Hulu Plus more often than Netflix. Love not having to watch our favorite shows on the networks' schedules. Also, big fans of Pandora here. We also have an MLBtv subscription for the year so we can watch Red Sox games (or any game, just about) out of market all season.

a few weeks ago I went back through a couple of my favorite shows and watched the episodes I missed from years past on Hulu.

So far I have used HuluPlus and Netflix about the same amount. I love them both and see no reason to go back to cable or satellite tv.

I have also purchased things on Amazon and streamed them.

Dawn

Right now we use Netflix but feel it's not such a great selection. Maybe we'll try Hulu and Amazon. Thanks for the tips.

Netflix is better for older TV shows and movies. HuluPlus is better for TV, particularly newer TV. The shows come on the day after they air on TV.

There are still a few network shows I can't get on HuluPlus. The Middle is one. I think Criminal Minds will be another.

Dawn

Right now we use Netflix but feel it's not such a great selection. Maybe we'll try Hulu and Amazon. Thanks for the tips.

I want to see Chuck, Becoming Human, and Supernatural -- but none of those options are on HuluPlus or NetFlix. I wish Roku would act like an internet browser and let me go to the website for those shows to watch them on the TV.

Wow. Thanks for the great feedback on the Roku. I will admit the Hulu Plus does sound intriguing, but between my DVR and already ponying up for Netflix, I can't see shelling out another eight bucks for overlapping content. I am excited because my wife is a Prime member so I am curious to see what is included in the free content there.

There isn't much that overlaps between Hulu Plus and Netflix. Also, if your wife has a regular Amazon Prime account you have access to free instant streaming. If it is the Student Amazon Prime, you won't be eligible for free streaming.

My advice? Try the Hulu Plus free for a month. Seriously.

Wow. Thanks for the great feedback on the Roku. I will admit the Hulu Plus does sound intriguing, but between my DVR and already ponying up for Netflix, I can't see shelling out another eight bucks for overlapping content. I am excited because my wife is a Prime member so I am curious to see what is included in the free content there.

I thought he meant the overlapping between a DVR and HuluPlus.

We are getting rid of our DVR, so HuluPlus is a better option for us.

Dawn

There isn't much that overlaps between Hulu Plus and Netflix. Also, if your wife has a regular Amazon Prime account you have access to free instant streaming. If it is the Student Amazon Prime, you won't be eligible for free streaming.

My advice? Try the Hulu Plus free for a month. Seriously.

xPSG: Yes its a paid, full-featured Prime account.

Dawn: Yeah, I did mean the DVR, moreso than the Netflix account.

Thanks, again, for the feedback and suggestions ! :thumbsup2

When I was checking on them, I thought I read that you can listen to Pandora radio. That was one reason I was considering it, so I could lsiten to music in my bedroom at night w/ more selection than my pitiful clock radio picks up.

you can.

When I was checking on them, I thought I read that you can listen to Pandora radio. That was one reason I was considering it, so I could lsiten to music in my bedroom at night w/ more selection than my pitiful clock radio picks up.

You have to have highspeed internet, with or without wireless. The Roku has a Cat-5 hard wire connection as well as (on some models) wireless to connect to your wireless router.

Do you have to have wireless internet to use Roku with your t.v.?

You have to have highspeed internet, with or without wireless. The Roku has a Cat-5 hard wire connection as well as (on some models) wireless to connect to your wireless router.

Aren't they on all models? We bought the cheapest Roku, because the other models focused on it's great range away from the router. The Roku was going in our bedroom, right next to our wireless router. So we just hooked it up directly to the router.

On our Hulu Plus, I realized tonight that you have to be careful what programs you are watching. There are commercials, and not just the normal commercials on standard TV. For instance, there are condom commercials with diagrams (probably only for certain PG-13 programs and above such as Love Bites, which I was watching).

I wanted to let you guys know.

So far I have used HuluPlus and Netflix about the same amount. I love them both and see no reason to go back to cable or satellite tv.

I have also purchased things on Amazon and streamed them.

Dawn

HIJACK, sorry OP!

Dawn, so glad to hear! I remember recommending it to you here and on LLNOE, and that you were on the fence. I am so glad you love it and got the techy issues worked out. We still love ours and will never go back to cable or DirecTV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter