ROFR Thread Jan to March 2023 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think the market is going to fall so low that you can get $100 SSR points for $80ish in the next year? If you don’t and don’t need the points right now then it is a great deal.

I’m the original poster about this and am still negotiating it, cause getting it that low is a huge bargain long term.
My problem with stripped contracts is that you are buying a contract for a finite amount of years (if you don't intend on selling it before it expires). By purchasing a stripped SSR, you are taking it from 32 years worth of points to 30 years. You can't get those points back. The current average is $19-20 per point for rental. With 23 and 24 points gone, that is about $40 off the average sale price.

And point rental will go up as dues go up. It might be $22 per point next year

My problem with stripped contracts is that you are buying a contract for a finite amount of years (if you don't intend on selling it before it expires). By purchasing a stripped SSR, you are taking it from 32 years worth of points to 30 years. You can't get those points back. The current average is $19-20 per point for rental. With 23 and 24 points gone, that is about $40 off the average sale price.

And point rental will go up as dues go up. It might be $22 per point next year
Oh, that’s the other thing. I would be negotiating over those 2024 dues. Seller should be paying dues on points they’ve already used IMO. No way of knowing what they are, but at least a credit at the 2023 dues price should be given against the sale price.

It amazed me most that this site offered a threshold tool that the seller chose not to use.... and they still got salty. I totally understand that there are a million different reasons for selling: voluntarily/involuntarily/needing to pay off a loan/etc. They could have instantly declined our offer and I would have thought nothing of it! C'est la vie..... we already submitted another offer on one of the 30+ near-identical contracts we have saved. One will land eventually :)
I think I can guess the broker here. We had a similar experience a few months ago. I’d actually been tracking a contract’s threshold and when it dropped I made an offer and had a similar response. The seller took the contract off the market for a week and then I saw it pop back up again with the same broker at a slightly higher threshold.

Ooh, I think that’s a really good way for them to get burned eventually if that’s what’’s happening. Disney prohibits commercial activity by owners, and while that is generally nebulous, a big resale company buying a ton of contracts routinely and stripping them to rent points definitely falls afoul of that in my opinion.
I recently purchased an Aulani contract that was listed as subsidized dues. None of the paperwork specifically said subsidized dues and the dollar amount for the dues was wrong. I called DVC Member Services and got someone to confirm the original contract purchase date to confirm dues. They would not tell me the current owners name but said they owned a ton of contracts with close to 7,000 points. Being on this site, we all love Disney. But 7,000 points, who can use all of those? And who can pay more than $49,000 in dues every year (using 2022 VGF dues at $7.01 per point)?

The instant sale tool (in my opinion) is horrible for a seller. They pay for EVERYTHING, closing costs, all dues, commissions.... My bet is that the buyer in that case does NOT pay a commission to their own sales team when they resell the property (or at least a much smaller commission). And they sell the contract after stripping the points and renting them out.

It really does depend on the situation. We bought SSR for $75 and the instant sale would have been $118. We would have still made a profit had we accepted it. And, had we not have gotten an offer as quickly as we did, we would have.

Now we sold for $120 and didn’t pay the closing costs which would have with the instant sale, so we ended up with an extra $900.

Of course, it’s a nice deal for the broker but the purpose is to give a seller a sale immediately if they need or want that vs waiting for a buyer. Plenty of contracts out there that don’t get offers quickly so if one needs a sale, at least there is something that can do that.

Ooh, I think that’s a really good way for them to get burned eventually if that’s what’’s happening. Disney prohibits commercial activity by owners, and while that is generally nebulous, a big resale company buying a ton of contracts routinely and stripping them to rent points definitely falls afoul of that in my opinion.

Except the contract still has to go to DVD for ROFR and I bet in many cases, it probably gets taken because that sale is so much lower than what contracts are going for at the time.

So, brokers may not even end up with it but get the commission off it with a quick sale.

Updated!

Sorry that I missed updating last week...we were living it up at Aulani and DL. Now I want (need) Aulani points. And probably toss some VGC in there, in preparation for more that I will want (need) at DHT.

I've decided that I won't buy points unless they go below what we originally bought our contracts for about five years ago. That's a pretty high bar, so for now I am safe.

Now, off to read threads on whether buying $50 VB points as SAP is financial suicide...
I wonder if we were there at the same time! Just got back last Monday from 8 nights. Aulani is great!

We must have been! We were there January 23-30 and if you saw a blonde grownup sniffling sadly on departure on the 30th at the entrance, that was me!

It was our second time there but certainly not our last. Completely magical!

I probably will end up looking back and saying to myself "I paid too much, I could have gotten the same contract for ..."

We recently bought our CC contract at the very height of the prices - we paid $176 a point (150 points ). So, we could look back and regret it since we could now buy it for much less. BUT…the way we are choosing to look at it is that we still paid far less than the direct price We got our Use Year (April - which seems to usually be scarce) too, so we could regret it but don’t really.

Updated!

Sorry that I missed updating last week...we were living it up at Aulani and DL. Now I want (need) Aulani points. And probably toss some VGC in there, in preparation for more that I will want (need) at DHT.

I've decided that I won't buy points unless they go below what we originally bought our contracts for about five years ago. That's a pretty high bar, so for now I am safe.

Now, off to read threads on whether buying $50 VB points as SAP is financial suicide...
Thank you for updating the board. As a soon to be new DVC member, I truly appreciate it. The current and past ROFR threads have helped me so much when making offers. And, go for it, add some Aulani. I am about to sign an AUL contract. Yippee!

Long-time lurker, first-time poster....

We're in the process of making offers for our first DVC contract. Listen to this shenanigans:
We just offered $90pp on an SSR contract (listed at $129pp) through a broker that *did* have an offer threshold tool. The seller countered above asking. Hoping that it was a mistake, we counter-countered with $95..... they countered with $200pp! I reached out to the broker to let them know that while we understood sellers had absolute control over what they were willing to accept, we found the gesture to be juvenile and not a great representation of the brokerage's sellers in a saturated market. The broker then informed us that the seller was so offended by our offer and was so upset that the broker allowed it to be sent, THAT HE PULLED HIS LISTING ENTIRELY.

Stay safe out there, y'all.... it's a wild world.
Let me guess…

https://dvcsales.com/

Thank you for updating the board. As a soon to be new DVC member, I truly appreciate it. The current and past ROFR threads have helped me so much when making offers. And, go for it, add some Aulani. I am about to sign an AUL contract. Yippee!
Noting your Join date, 10 years is tremendous will-power.

Also, an important New Year reminder- please, please, please use the tool on Page 1. I am having to skip/ correct dozens of posts lately- even if you are writing /2023 instead of the tool auto-generating the correct string with /23, it takes a lot of extra time to fix all of these, and when there are 30+ pages to go through, it takes hours. Hours that I could be looking at listings I'm not buying! And nobody wants that 😜.
Mine was a few pages back. I don't see it on the updated list. Must have been hidden among all the banter.

Theplanets14---$87-$4052-40-OKW-Oct-40/22, 40/23, 40/24-Seller pays closing- sent 1/24

Yes, I heard that recently too about how they were so upset they wanted to pull it… I almost feel for the brokers because it’s not their fault that the market is so low right now… Many sellers have unreasonable expectations, and the brokers are stuck between buyers chomping at the bit for an amazing deal and sellers who are determined to get top dollar like how they could have a year ago…
If the broker is not providing an unreasonable seller recent examples of what their contracts are going for then they are not doing anyone any favors. It is clear the market for DVC resale is still dropping and hasn’t found the floor yet. I don’t think it is unreasonable to see resale prices under 2018s. We are heading into uncertainty for a recession and these contracts have 5 less years on them.

We recently bought our CC contract at the very height of the prices - we paid $176 a point (150 points ). So, we could look back and regret it since we could now buy it for much less. BUT…the way we are choosing to look at it is that we still paid far less than the direct price We got our Use Year (April - which seems to usually be scarce) too, so we could regret it but don’t really.
I don't think I will ever regret any of our DVC purchases. Every time we get down to WDW I am at peace. It is therapeutic.

We have Aulani coming up for the first time later this year. Wife and kids can't wait :) Wish us luck

I would love to know the secret of getting these great deals! I have made multiple offers over the last two weeks - all rejected or sold to other buyers. Yes, I have offered low, but watching this thread and not offering lower than what is being currently accepted (somewhere in the middle). I'm also offering over the Instant Sale amount. How many offers are some of you making before you get one that accepts?
We are at ROFR on 2 SSR (Feb UY) contracts.

The first is 110 points. It was listed for $112, we offered $107 and accepted without negotiation.

The second is 150 points. It was listed for $108, we offered $100 and they countered at $103 which we accepted.

Generally wasn’t difficult. The only other contract we offered on was a 120 point which was listed at $112. We offered first $103 and then went to $107 and the seller wouldn’t budge (or even counter) so we left that one.

Would also add that these offers were in within a matter of hours of the contract being loaded to the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter