ROFR Thread April to June 2022 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
At what point is Disney buying too much? I feel like we should wait a few months and see what happens

At what point is Disney buying too much? I feel like we should wait a few months and see what happens

There is really no way to know what will happen and it could get better or worse. IMO, the past few years seem like ROFR is more active. I do think you may be seeing some sellers willing to take less right now because of all the contracts.

If, as a buyer, you have the patience to risk ROFR and keep trying, it could be a good time to try and sneak one through. Remember, a seller gets paid regardless of who buys it so if one wants to sell, they might take less, even if its at risk of ROFR. It is why I sold my SSR in March for $120..I was 99% sure it would get taken, but figured, if it didn't my buyer got a great deal!

Come on now, do share the details. :)
I’ve had a couple of… “encounters” recently. One person insisted that the 7 and 11 month booking windows were determined by UY rather than trip date if you own more than one contract.

Today I said something about Disney not exercising ROFR on Poly contracts. A person, just to argue I guess, insisted that they’ve seen DVD buying back Poly contracts since they announced the new tower. Where? I never did find out.

Those are just two… I need to back away before I age 30 years lol.

I’ve had a couple of… “encounters” recently. One person insisted that the 7 and 11 month booking windows were determined by UY rather than trip date if you own more than one contract.

Today I said something about Disney not exercising ROFR on Poly contracts. A person, just to argue I guess, insisted that they’ve seen DVD buying back Poly contracts since they announced the new tower. Where? I never did find out.

Those are just two… I need to back away before I age 30 years lol.
It takes all kinds to make the world go 'round. :)

This was my thought process and why we decided to buy a Poly contract. We got it for a steal at $140 a couple months ago with a delayed closing which should happen at the end of this month. I put in the contract to ROFR 3 days before they announced Poly2 so I’m on team let it be all the same like they did with VGF.
@princesscinderella - Wow that's a great deal for the Poly! Do you mind me asking how many points was the contract?

ROFR is not as anxiety ridden when you're waiting on an Aulani contract. I think the concept of a "low ball" offer is interesting. The economic value of anything is limited to what somebody is willing to pay for it, not what the seller believes it is worth or what they have invested into it. My offer for the Aulani contract ($105) was $20 less per point than listed. Turns out for me that the contract is in a trust (due to owners passing away) and they accepted my offer with no counteroffer after a day of communicating with the family about it. Given the offer was accepted without a counter it's entirely possible that I could have offered less and still had a chance even though I considered this to be a "lowball offer" when I made it. My point is that if you find the right seller at the right time anything can happen. I had 10 or so offers rejected before this one. I knew what I was willing to pay and didn't need the points anytime soon.

ROFR is not as anxiety ridden when you're waiting on an Aulani contract. I think the concept of a "low ball" offer is interesting. The economic value of anything is limited to what somebody is willing to pay for it, not what the seller believes it is worth or what they have invested into it. My offer for the Aulani contract ($105) was $20 less per point than listed. Turns out for me that the contract is in a trust (due to owners passing away) and they accepted my offer with no counteroffer after a day of communicating with the family about it. Given the offer was accepted without a counter it's entirely possible that I could have offered less and still had a chance even though I considered this to be a "lowball offer" when I made it. My point is that if you find the right seller at the right time anything can happen. I had 10 or so offers rejected before this one. I knew what I was willing to pay and didn't need the points anytime soon.
what was the size and UY of your contract if you don't mind me asking?

You are right that buying Aulani is totally different from buying resorts like SSR, OKW, and SSR at the moment, which are being gobbled up like crazy. I don't think buyers of Aulani will ever haveto go through the anxiety of ROFR, probably all the way until contract termination. I too bought my AUL $20 below asking, which I believe should be standard. Current sellers expecting to sell Aulani higher than $120's are disconnected from reality as there are tons on the market with very few buyers looking to own something all the way here in Hawaii.

what was the size and UY of your contract if you don't mind me asking?

You are right that buying Aulani is totally different from buying resorts like SSR, OKW, and SSR at the moment, which are being gobbled up like crazy. I don't think buyers of Aulani will ever haveto go through the anxiety of ROFR, probably all the way until contract termination. I too bought my AUL $20 below asking, which I believe should be standard. Current sellers expecting to sell Aulani higher than $120's are disconnected from reality as there are tons on the market with very few buyers looking to own something all the way here in Hawaii.
It is a 230 point Sept UY with a year of banked points.

I remember waiting on my BCV contract to go through ROFR and it was agonizing. This is so different this time.

I agree with what you're saying about the economic value to a point, but one other consideration is in play with DVC and that is where the ROFR floor is at. For every resort, even ones in active sales, at any given time, DVC has a limit where they'll ROFR. I don't know if anyone has ever hit that number with Aulani, but a number exists, I'm sure. I find it all interesting, especially to go back and look at ROFR threads from several years ago and compare them to now. I look at $105pp for Aulani and don't consider that lowball knowing someone else got through ROFR $70 pp not long ago when the average was in the $80-$95 range. IMO, no one should be paying more than $105 for Aulani bc it'll pass. Maybe a little more for subsidized.

I agree with what you're saying about the economic value to a point, but one other consideration is in play with DVC and that is where the ROFR floor is at. For every resort, even ones in active sales, at any given time, DVC has a limit where they'll ROFR. I don't know if anyone has ever hit that number with Aulani, but a number exists, I'm sure. I find it all interesting, especially to go back and look at ROFR threads from several years ago and compare them to now. I look at $105pp for Aulani and don't consider that lowball knowing someone else got through ROFR $70 pp not long ago when the average was in the $80-$95 range. IMO, no one should be paying more than $105 for Aulani bc it'll pass. Maybe a little more for subsidized.
For sure bidding on a contract for a resort that doesn't exercise ROFR makes it easier to send lower offers. I'd consider it a badge of honor if they ROFRd this Aulani contract since it would be an anomaly haha. But ROFR doesn't change the economic value of a contract for a purposed buyer, just confirms that there is another buyer willing to pay the same price. ROFR definitely affects the market value for those who would rather not risk it. I agree that my offer wasn't a lowball offer as that's what I was willing to pay. But in comparison to other sold contracts and current inventory it is on the lower side of things. Timing is everything.

Last edited:
Junebug2---$132-$28682-200-SSR-Aug-0/21, 400/22, 200/23- sent 5/10, taken 6/7

We’re 0/3 on SSR! Debating whether we try for an international seller, or get less points at poly instead...
We just lost SSR at $138-Our first lost to ROFR and that was the longest month ever and don’t want to play the game. When I sat down with my husband and realized that instead of going $145 to get SSR to pass(maybe), we could bid low on Poly- our favorite resort for only $18 more it was a no brainer. Put the low bid in at $163 with them paying closing and they took it. The international seller contracts are harder to come by and poly is what we have always actually wanted- and it’s expiration is 12 years longer. 🤷🏼‍♀️

It’s a 135 point contract. The details are in the 1/22-3/22 ROFR thread. It was listed at $159 and was sitting for a while so I put in a lowball offer and they accepted 😊
When you say “awhile” what timeframe would you consider constitutes that haha? I’ve had my eyes on a Poly contract that’s been sitting but not sure whether it’s been long enough/“awhile” to warrant the lowball I’d like to make. I need something to substantiate my thought process and give me some courage to roll the dice lol

But doesn’t the fact that you had 10 offers rejected indicate that buyers willing to accept $20 less than listed are not incredibly numerous? I think most of these low priced offer acceptances are a result of so many Aulani contracts being on the market right now. As we all know, it’s currently a buyers’ market, but I don’t think it will last forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter