ROFR Thread April - June 2017 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
But that's no fun... for me. ;) Complain away, by all means.

Truthfully, once you do get the contracts you want, this will all be a fun memory to be discussed poolside at your favorite villa. Then you can come back here and enjoy watching everyone else suffer through the process :D

I am just so angry with Disney about this. I have a finance degree, so I get the math, but it is still so frustrating when you are the one they keep exercising ROFR on. I know they are just a big evil corporation that hides behind the mouse, but I literally cannot get them to take my money. I know they wouldn't get the $ on the sale, but they would get the MF's and all the money we spend at Disney if we went more often which is what I'm trying to do.

The hunt is half the fun.......

I agreed, until I got to contract number 5 which seems to be in the process of being taken. I will confess that the most annoying thing is that my husband told me to be done with it after contract #4 didn't work out, but I convinced him to give it one more go because I am hard-headed. He's actually been nice about it, and said to just throw in the towel. Oh, and one of our air conditioners started blowing hot air yesterday, and no one can come out until Monday because of the bad storms here today. The heat index yesterday: 110 degrees. That part of the house was literally 97 degrees. That will also explain my anger. When it rains, it pours. >:(

We just put a bid in on a OCT UY contracts at VGF....... only to find out after all the negotiations on price and received the contract to sign to find out that it was really a June UY contract and the brokers website posted the contract wrong. Grrrr, and no apology from the broker either. I can only wonder how the phone call to the seller went after agreeing to a final price.

I am just so angry with Disney about this. I have a finance degree, so I get the math, but it is still so frustrating when you are the one they keep exercising ROFR on. I know they are just a big evil corporation that hides behind the mouse, but I literally cannot get them to take my money. I know they wouldn't get the $ on the sale, but they would get the MF's and all the money we spend at Disney if we went more often which is what I'm trying to do.

Disney is actually a set of a whole bunch of corporations and businesses. Thus, when you say "they" will not take your money, it's actually a private seller who you are trying to give the money to. "They", meaning DVD (Disney Vacation Development) does not make any money on your resale. "They", the resorts, vendors, theme parks, etc., will make money, but "them", DVD, will not. Make sense?

P.S. I replaced my HVAC system last year. Can't stop a Trane! (yeah right. lol)

Some of the brokers now add a clause to the contract where the seller will have to pay a certain amount (somewhere around $18-$24) per point that's redeemed after the contract is signed. That's the easiest way to avoid that being an issue. If I ever buy another resale contract (lord help me), I'll make sure that's in there. This seems to be a more and more popular scam, but attaching a price to redeeming available points easily avoids that situation.

To be clear, technically they don't "pay"; the title company simply deducts it from the seller's disbursement and refunds it to the buyer.
I'll remember to have that in my next contract!

So just a ROFR question from a non-owner (so far)- Just for giggles I bid on a DVC 250 point at OKW on Ebay. Yes, I know, stop yelling & laughing!
I bid, lost at the last minute (literally) but I didn't up my bid for the simple fact that it was selling for ~$30 a point! I'm surprised to see OKW passing in the 60's, but I know there's a snowball's chance in hell that a 30-35/point OKW wouldn't pass OKW. I didn't want to go through the headaches of all of that just to have it taken. Even though it'd be refunded (I asked) I'd still have some un-refunded out of pocket costs.
Still trying to find the right deal that will pass!

So just a ROFR question from a non-owner (so far)- Just for giggles I bid on a DVC 250 point at OKW on Ebay. Yes, I know, stop yelling & laughing!
I bid, lost at the last minute (literally) but I didn't up my bid for the simple fact that it was selling for ~$30 a point! I'm surprised to see OKW passing in the 60's, but I know there's a snowball's chance in hell that a 30-35/point OKW wouldn't pass OKW. I didn't want to go through the headaches of all of that just to have it taken. Even though it'd be refunded (I asked) I'd still have some un-refunded out of pocket costs.
Still trying to find the right deal that will pass!
First there is no hard and fast rule about what is taken back in ROFR. While extremely low price per point may get get bought quicker, but probably not only rule simply because of restrictions for buying back points. I believe there is a max percentage DVCcan hold on fully declared resorts.

As for buying eBay, I would be very leary buying from a nonbroker. Too much work from getting through ROFR, estoppel, closing, deed recording; I would be worried to get all the pieces right through a private sale.

The broker you are using....I looked at their site a few times when looking for another resale. Their prices are extremely low when compared to other sites I've used (and never had a contract ROFR'd). And this is the one of the ones DVC recommends. I wonder what percentage of their contracts are ROFR'd as compared to other brokers. If DVC has a buyer looking for BLT, they will of course snatch up a contract at BLT that is only $100/pt because they will resell it to someone for $150/pt or whatever their list price is now. Or they will take their time with ROFR while they contact the people on their waiting list to see if they are interested....maybe the person wants a different use year and need to think about it for a week, or need to get their finances ready or something. If find it strange that they were only asking $80/pt originally for the contract. It is almost as if Vacatia WANTED DVC to take it.

I totally understand someone not wanting to pay more for something than they are willing to. I'm like that myself, except when it comes to buying DVC resale. We have offered asking price for all of our contracts except one (because there were many contracts similar to this one). I also checked out my most recent broker's website where they list the percentage of their contracts that have been "taken" and was pretty comfortable with them.

BLT is a great resort, especially with the different view categories. But depending on what time of year you want to go, availability is pretty good especially for lake view. have you considered buying at a less expensive resort that DVC is not really interested in and then do the 7 month switch?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you on this. And sorry about your A/C.[/QUOTE]

First there is no hard and fast rule about what is taken back in ROFR. While extremely low price per point may get get bought quicker, but probably not only rule simply because of restrictions for buying back points. I believe there is a max percentage DVCcan hold on fully declared resorts.

As for buying eBay, I would be very leary buying from a nonbroker. Too much work from getting through ROFR, estoppel, closing, deed recording; I would be worried to get all the pieces right through a private sale.
I would also be leary of purchasing resale without a broker. Too many scammers out there. If you do decide to buy that way however, you can obtain the service of a closing company on your own to handle those other details. On a side note, seasoned e-bayers have the computer at the ready and wait until the last possible second to submit their final bid. Sort of like trying for BCV at the 7 month window during food and wine!

I've found the cure for addonitis...it's ROFR! While this one hasn't been taken yet, we know it is coming. I swore off buying BLT after my last two were taken, but we saw this deal and figured we would give it a try. Others that submitted after us are hearing back, and we are hearing nothing. I'm not going to pay more than I want to spend just to make it go through. I am getting off the emails lists, stopped checking the sites, etc. Once this one is taken, Disney will have to find someone else to negotiate their deals. BTW, this was Round 5. 2 were taken by ROFR, and 2 had sellers that kept using their points after being submitted to ROFR. My VGF points will have to be enough. 8-) There's got to be a reason none of them have worked out, so I am going to stop fighting it and move on. :drive:

TexasChick123---$100-$20700-200-BLT-Jun-0/17, 214/18, 200/19- sent 6/9

Just can't catch a break, huh? I have seen a few that have gone 3 weeks or more before getting good news, but understand why you wouldn't get your hopes up.

I've found the cure for addonitis...it's ROFR! While this one hasn't been taken yet, we know it is coming. I swore off buying BLT after my last two were taken, but we saw this deal and figured we would give it a try. Others that submitted after us are hearing back, and we are hearing nothing. I'm not going to pay more than I want to spend just to make it go through. I am getting off the emails lists, stopped checking the sites, etc. Once this one is taken, Disney will have to find someone else to negotiate their deals. BTW, this was Round 5. 2 were taken by ROFR, and 2 had sellers that kept using their points after being submitted to ROFR. My VGF points will have to be enough. 8-) There's got to be a reason none of them have worked out, so I am going to stop fighting it and move on. :drive:

TexasChick123---$100-$20700-200-BLT-Jun-0/17, 214/18, 200/19- sent 6/9

I am so sorry. This is horrible and frustrating. I can't believe the sellers used their points. Horrible people.

CoensFamily2009---$72-$18738-250-OKW-Mar-250/16, 250/17, 250/18- sent 6/11 (we thought it was sent the 4th, but it didn't reach ROFR till the 11!)

I want to scream it to the rooftops!! We found out yesterday (yes on a Saturday!!) WE PASSED!!!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

6 days! That must be some sort of record!? lol

Onto Estoppel!! They are optimistic we should be closed by the end of July!!
YAYYY!!! Congrats :flower:

ITGirl50---$83-$20458-220-BRV@WL-Aug-220/16, 440/17, 220/18- sent 6/7, passed 6/19

So excited to get the points. We tried buying BCV a couple of months ago and Disney took it. They let us have this one!
The 220 2016 points are banked from 2015, so they will expire at the end of July 2017. We are excited to get the new points!!
SO glad this one passed :teeth::teeth::teeth:!!!

LSCHROW---$89-$29864-306-BWV-Dec-0/15, 0/16, 306/17, 306/18- sent 6/14
delayed closing to occur on/around 12/1 (due to expiring points)

I was really looking for about 125-150 BWV pts, with a UY to match our April or August contracts, but this contract had enough points to make another UY easier (since there would be no need to transfer, bank, borrow). If (when :goodvibes) this one passes, I think we'll be done with 856 points (only 696 BWV :lovestruc, 2 ppl going for about a month annually)
Best of luck :)! Great price!

So... this kinda caught me off guard.
I'm selling a 140 pt AKV contract. Disney just ROFR'd it:

grimgrinnin---$94-$14878-140-AKV-Sep-0/15, 13/16, 140/17, 140/18- sent 6/6, taken 6/20

Feel bad for the buyers.
Interesting.

I read on a blog that they took THREE September UY AKV contracts at over $80/pt just last month. I think that's their target right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter