Rocket launch viewing advice

Brer Chump

Cousin of the great Zen Philosopher Bosho
There will be an Atlas 5 rocket launch (a Space X launch was originally scheduled but it got pushed back) during our next stay. The time of launch is 7:45 am. Except for going to KSC, where are some good viewing areas? The most important thing is quality of view and l would like to hear, and feel, the launch too.

I know KSC would be the best option but tickets may not be available. Looking at Google Maps, it looks like parking for any of the beaches is minimal. Any advice for parking at a beach would also be helpful.

TIA!

There will be an Atlas 5 rocket launch (a Space X launch was originally scheduled but it got pushed back) during our next stay. The time of launch is 7:45 am. Except for going to KSC, where are some good viewing areas? The most important thing is quality of view and l would like to hear, and feel, the launch too.

I know KSC would be the best option but tickets may not be available. Looking at Google Maps, it looks like parking for any of the beaches is minimal. Any advice for parking at a beach would also be helpful.

TIA!
Here’s a good article:
https://www.floridatoday.com/story/...10-great-places-watch-rocket-launch/99730718/

Jetty Park is your prime location but there is a parking fee of $15 per car. Anyplace on the south side of the port where you can get up to the water is PRIME.

Anywhere on the beach from here south thru the Cocoa Beach area gives an unobstructed view and parking is not as difficult as you might think, especially for an early (or late) launch. If in doubt there is a good bit of parking at the Cocoa Beach Pier and if out on the pier the view is even better ... sand near the pier is excellent viewing spot.

Do note that a SIGNIFICANT number of launches get moved from their scheduled day and this can happen up to 1 second b4 they push the button .... and in that regard last night's launch happened 3 hours after the scheduled time so people on the beach either waited ... or gave up! If waiting and it is summer in Florida ... be equipped with chairs and water and a hat or umbrella and SUNSCREEN!!!! (local news does carry realtime alerts of what's going on so bring your phone)

I saw a post where a couple coming to town for a cruise had booked a 'boat' to view last night's launch. They were to board at 10:30 PM for an 11:30 launch that happened at 2:30 .... wonder how that worked out . . . .

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. The Atlas launch got moved back to July 12 in the morning, I should be in a Southwest 737 taxiing to the runway to leave at the time of launch. Years ago I tried to watch a shuttle launch but it got scrubbed during the T-9 minute hold. The winds were too high. That was disappointing. I really wanted to see the SpaceX launch (and landing) but it was not meant to be. I was hoping an Atlas launch would be a good consolation. Oh well, hopefully down the road I will be able to see a launch live.

Meanwhile I will research options including Jetty Park!

I'm in the Scrub Club, too. Over the years, I've purchased tickets to 2 Shuttle launches and 3 rocket launches. All five of those launches were scrubbed. It is frustrating.

I've only been to two launches up close, thanks to scrubs. Have seen several from the area. We live too far away to risk it unless it's looking really good.
Had planned to go to the last Falcon Heavy launch, but it got moved and the 11:30pm launch ended up being 2:30am. My kids would have been miserable by that time.

First Falcon Heavy got pushed to verrrrry end of the launch window. We had to add a day to our hotel, and we were sweating it out.

Lots of excellent launch view specific message boards/reddits out there. Jetty park is cool for the landings. For my money and sanity, we just watch from beach at hotel on Cocoa Beach. Kids play in the pool or ocean, with no pressure. Bathrooms, beer, food, room for rest breaks... right there. :-)

I've caught a few in Titusville but as PPs have mentioned, launches are routinely scrubbed because of weather, malfunctions, etc. One of those 'feel blessed to see it but never count on it' experiences.

Bumping this thread to relay recent updates to the launch schedule:
  • Nov. 11
    Falcon 9 • Starlink 1
    Launch window: 1451-1502 GMT (9:51-10:02 a.m. EST)
  • Dec. 4
    Falcon 9 • SpaceX CRS 19
    Launch time: 1748 GMT (12:48 p.m. EST)
  • Dec. 15/16
    Falcon 9 • JCSAT 18/Kacific 1
    Launch window: 0010-0138 GMT on 16th (7:10-8:38 p.m. EST on 15th)
There are two other launches that might be scheduled in between those three.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter