Rocket launch thread (see first post for updates)

Skyhawk341

DIS Dad #763 | Smart enough to know that I don't k
As promised, guys, I'm keeping you apprised of upcoming rocket launches. I'll include launches scheduled for the Kennedy Space Center (KSC) and Cape Canaveral Air Force Station (CCAFS) in Florida for the WDW area, as well as Vandenberg Air Force Base (VAFB) for those visiting DL in California. If you or your families are into this stuff like I am, you might want to set aside some non-park time to check out the following:

• TBA, CCAFS: SpaceX Falcon 9 carrying the SES-8 telecom satellite. Launch window TBA.

As more launches are scheduled (with firm dates and times), and scheduled launches are rescheduled, I'll update this post as soon as I can.

DISboards - Go!
DIS Dads - Go!
Bacon - Go!
Beer - Go!

We are working no anomalies, Beverly, or peanut butter...we are Go for launch! :thumbsup2

Another full fledged member of this subset of Dis Dads. I have NASA TV bookmarked and follow on twitter numerous feeds including current Space Station residents. Stayed up all night to see Curiosity successfully land on Mars.

The one regret is I never saw a live Shuttle launch. Saw a few of them from Orlando and Gainesville but never on the Cape. Closest I came was when I was on a Disney trip with DD and one of her friends. We extended the vacation to spend the day at Cocoa Beach to see a launch. Damn thing was postponed.

I hear ya. Never got to see a shuttle launch, and only got to see one landing (STS-133 in 2011). Hoping to be able to see that Falcon 9 launch on Monday, though.

The kids are very interested in space right now. They're getting a starter telescope for Christmas. I've also signed up for ISS flyover alerts.

Can this be viewed from WDW? Or is there a good spot to watch it? My kids are into this, but not sure it is worth missing a half day at Wdw. If we go, is there a good free/cheap viewing location? Thanks!

I have seen so many go up. I lived in rockledge (right next to the cape) and my parents took us to vacation to cocoa beach. I enjoyed the manned ones the most... I might be there for the one on Monday.

Hey there, fellow space heads! We got back from WDW on Thanksgiving Day, and I had to work yesterday, so the updates will be more forthcoming. Bummed about the Falcon 9 launch attempts getting scrubbed...but I'll update the first post as I find out more information.

For those interested, a Soyuz carrying three astronauts to the ISS will launch today at 3:57 PM Eastern. I think it is a night launch in Kazakhstan. http://www.nasa.gov

Did not know this thread was out here. I do believe I’ll join in on this one.

I missed the launch this afternoon, but I’m watching along with the docking procedure now. Love stuff like this.
Always bring me back to my youth and the Apollo missions.

Oops. "Buford, it done Blowed Up!"

Here is the link for the failed launch of the Antares rocket to supply the ISS. Spectacular failure that shows space travel is a bit risky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSJ2kcDirEo&feature=youtu.be

For all the space nerds out there (count me in) the press conference that followed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5HaD5zZjeE

Looked for two nights to see the launch, didn't see anything. Well the first night, saw the ISS fly overhead. If it's clear tonight should see it again starting at 6:49 et.

Looked for two nights to see the launch, didn't see anything. Well the first night, saw the ISS fly overhead. If it's clear tonight should see it again starting at 6:49 et.

I get the ISS lookup emails for my area. Saw it a couple of times but the neighborhood lights limit visibility. One of my regrets is not seeing a shuttle launch live. Came close once. We extended a day from a Disney trip to go to Kennedy for a launch but they postponed it.

I didn't know this thread was here either. I'd like to try to catch a live launch.

I didn't know this thread was here either. I'd like to try to catch a live launch.

Rocket launches are not quite the same as the shuttle launches were. I am only 2 hours south of Cape Canaveral. I made the trip up for quite a few of them. From an August 2009 night launch.

Rocket launches are not quite the same as the shuttle launches were. I am only 2 hours south of Cape Canaveral. I made the trip up for quite a few of them. From an August 2009 night launch.

That is an incredible shot. I like the reflection in the water.

The launch of Orion, the new manned space flight vehicle will be Thursday. Anticipated launch time is 7:05 am eastern. I'll post a specific link when I find one.

This is a cool ship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!