Rock candy

WDWMom

DIS Veteran
Does any one have a recipe for rock candy??? Would like to make some for a project but I can't seem to find easy directions.

Thanks

Hmm... not sure where it is anymore (Brownie book maybe? which I of course just passed on to a new leader who wanted it for reference). I know we did this when the girls were a LOT younger....but while it wasn't complicated it took forever.

Deb

we always made rock candy growing up ......with or without the string. When my daddy would make any kind of candy, he would drop some into cold water and we could get to sample it before it was some other kind of candy.
One cup of water and two cups of sugar.
* 1 cup water
* 2 cups of granulated sugar
* A few drops of your favorite candy flavoring such as peppermint, cherry or lemon, more drops = stronger flavor (optional)
* A few drops of food coloring, more drops = darker color (optional)

Directions

1. Tie one end of the piece of string around the middle of the stick or pencil. Cut the string, if necessary, so that it is a little shorter than your jar.
2. Moisten the string with a little water and roll it in the sugar. Put the paper clip on the end of the string to help it hang straight down. Lay the stick over the top of the glass jar so that the string hangs down inside the jar. The end of the string should not touch the bottom of the jar.
3. Cook the candy mixture. (Here's where you need an adult to help!)
1. Put the cup of water into the sauce pan and heat until it boils.
2. Add 2 cups of sugar to the boiling water while stirring. Keep stirring until the sugar dissolves. (If you have a candy thermometer the temperature of the sugar water should reach 240 degrees Fahrenheit.)
3. Remove pan from heat. If you want to add flavoring or color, stir it in now.
4. Pour the hot mixture into the jar.
4. Let the sugar water sit for a few days where no one will bother it. The crystals will begin to form along the string in a few hours. Let them grow for 3 to 10 days (or more). There are two things that will make the largest crystals:
1. Making a thick sugar water mixture (Be sure you put in the whole 2 cups of sugar, or even a little more.)
2. Letting them grow for more days
5. When you're ready to eat the rock candy, take the candy-covered string out of the jar. Break the pieces apart and enjoy. Store left-over candy in a covered container. (Some adults like to flavor tea or coffee by putting a piece of rock candy in the cup. Maybe you shouldn't use purple coloring if you want to share your candy with them!)

we would not do the string sometimes. Just pour it into a square greased up good pan and let it sit in the fridge and solidify. then take the pan out and smash it a few times to get the candy to be in pieces.

Thanks Pumba. DS needs to make something for school and I thought this would be easy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter