Road Trip! (Into the Unknown…) - Mar. 2020 ~ Updated 4/2/21: Complete, One Year Later, Video Epilogue

I’ve always enjoyed your trip reports and missed them, but this one was particularly interesting. You very smart to leave WDW when you did. Nice that you could drive home. We once had to make the decision to come home a week early as DH was sick. Paid for our own airfare but recouped it with travel insurance with our doctor’s advice. DH recovered, but after two doctor visits in Florida with no improvement we knew it was time to head home. So glad that you didn’t have Covid and hopefully you’ve got your vaccines now. We’ve got our first one but it will take awhile for the second one as we are in Canada. On one of your trip reports you talked about a little egg cooker for the microwave. Thanks to you we own two of them and they are so handy. Hope you can go to WDW in August. That house is gorgeous!
Thanks! Yes, the ability to drive home if our plans changed helped us to feel okay about doing this trip, even though we had some concerns about the virus. We may not have gone if we had to fly. So sorry you had to leave early for an illness - no fun, but glad he recovered. Indeed, we did get our vaccines now (except Izzy has to wait), so that is a relief. That would be so hard to wait like that in Canada! Oh, wow, the egg cookers! We actually have two as well and have been using them often for breakfast sandwiches! Glad you got some use out of them too. Izzy and I are super excited about the mom & kids trip and hoping the virus becomes less widespread and things feel safe enough to go then (or if she gets vaccinated).

G

Got to say your pictures are great, especially the one of the male lion. You really look like your having so much fun. We can't wait until we go in November.
Thanks so much! We really did have a fun time for most of this trip! Glad we got this one in - we needed it.

Glad you made it home and came up negative on COVID. You absolutely did the responsible thing leaving when you did. We so enjoyed your trip report and fabulous pictures.
Thanks again! I'm so glad we didn't get COVID and made it to vaccination safely! That drive home is still so anxiety-provoking to think back on. Worth it, since it turned out okay for us, but terrifying at the time. So glad you enjoyed following along - it was so fun reliving this one!

Hi, anyone who's still here! Hope you all are doing well and staying safe and healthy! I've definitely got Disney on the mind lately. We are still planning the moms & kids trip in late August with friends and Izzy and I are chatting about that all the time. (I'm hoping there's less virus spread by then, but we've got a few more months to see that happen.)

And now our family is all hoping to go on the Disney Wish too, once cruising is do-able again. I haven't written about it yet, but back in August 2019, we took a cruise to Alaska on the Disney Wonder (amaaaaaazing!) and booked a plaeholder cruise onboard. Well, we just confirmed the other day that our cruise window for using that is extended to September 2022! The Wish starts cruising Summer 2022. We will definitely be considering our options. Would be so nice!

I can't remember if I mentioned that I've been taking evening/weekend online classes to get an additional degree, but that has been part of the lack of TR time. But, I'm on summer break now (two more semesters to go), so I'm hoping I can write some more this summer on my trip backlog. Haven't decided yet if I'll jump into Izzy's 2019 surprise birthday WDW visit or that Alaskan cruise I mentioned. Both were amazing and memorable and special, so I'd like to do both reports at some point. Kind of inclined to start with the surprise birthday, as it's a much shorter trip. Anyway, I hope to be around here throughout the summer as I can - I love chatting with other Disney lovers! I'll link any new report I start here!

Really enjoyed reading about your trip! Wow, lots of ups and downs. Glad you had some enjoyable days before the world started changing and you eventually recovered from whatever virus you had. We had a Disney trip scheduled for late March 2020 which of course was a no go. We did go this past March and had a great time! Would love to hear about your Alaska cruise! Also, your DD's surprise trip. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences.

Good luck with your last semesters .
I hope you decide to write about one if not both of your trips. Enjoy reading your TRs .
Thank you, I appreciate it! I'm thinking I'll start with the birthday trip - I started going through our pics and it was so fun. Izzy and I have been reminiscing about it a lot lately.

Hi!! So good to see Izzy growing up. She is as cute as ever!
Aw, thanks so much! It really is wild how fast they grow!

Really enjoyed reading about your trip! Wow, lots of ups and downs. Glad you had some enjoyable days before the world started changing and you eventually recovered from whatever virus you had. We had a Disney trip scheduled for late March 2020 which of course was a no go. We did go this past March and had a great time! Would love to hear about your Alaska cruise! Also, your DD's surprise trip. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences.
Thanks! Yes, in retrospect, knowing we didn't have Covid and recovered from mystery virus, I'm so glad we did this trip. We had some really fun times before things started feeling, uh, less magical. We were very lucky that Izzy's Spring Break was apparently a week or two earlier than many and we got in just in time before things closed. So sorry you had to reschedule your trip, but I'm glad you got back and had a blast! I can't wait to relive Alaska - it was a bucket list item for me and I'm so glad we managed to squeeze it into 2019 because who knows when/if we'd get there otherwise. Think I am going to do the birthday trip first, though, since it's shorter (but action packed!) Thanks for reading!

I would love to hear about your Cruise AND your plans for the WISH! We hope to sail in the near future as well!
Thanks, Cindi! Hope we are both cruising soon! I LOVED our Alaskan cruise so much! Right now, our plan is to try to use our placeholder cruise to get on the Wish in late August 2022, before school starts up. Looks like so much fun! Just wish the cruises weren't so short!

We'd also like to hear about your Alaska cruise. A cruise there has been on our radar. We haven't taken one to Alaska yet, because DW has been there twice with me on land trips, and I've also spent two other trips there mountain climbing. I have written two trip reports on our DCL cruises to Northern Europe.

Just found your report. I was there that same week (3/6 - 3/13/20). It was definitely an interesting week to have been there. Kind of crazy with Covid in the back of the mind the first half and then each morning waking up and watching the news to see the next big news story related to Covid. It was getting downright scary by the time I left on 3/13. And I had a 5 hour flight home to worry about. It was kind of scary getting on a plane at that time. A lot of people had clearly cancelled by then as my flight was maybe 2/3 full and had been previously showing fully booked.

And like you, came home to work at home 2 weeks and am still working at home 14.5 months later. And being on pretty tight lockdown. Thankfully my family is vaccinated as is the majority of my extended family in the area. I did sneak back down to WDW this same week of March this year and did have a wonderful vacation that was long overdue (cancelled WDW in September and multiple Disneyland stays (live very close so visit there a lot and do a few staycations a year in their hotels)).

We'd also like to hear about your Alaska cruise. A cruise there has been on our radar. We haven't taken one to Alaska yet, because DW has been there twice with me on land trips, and I've also spent two other trips there mountain climbing. I have written two trip reports on our DCL cruises to Northern Europe.
I really want to write about our Alaskan cruise (was looking at the pics the other day and remembering how amazing it was), but I think I'm going to try to knock out the shorter TR first. I do want to get to writing up the Alaska one sometime, though - I really want to remember that trip! But it's probably going to be a LOT of updates with all those pics. 😆

Just found your report. I was there that same week (3/6 - 3/13/20). It was definitely an interesting week to have been there. Kind of crazy with Covid in the back of the mind the first half and then each morning waking up and watching the news to see the next big news story related to Covid. It was getting downright scary by the time I left on 3/13. And I had a 5 hour flight home to worry about. It was kind of scary getting on a plane at that time. A lot of people had clearly cancelled by then as my flight was maybe 2/3 full and had been previously showing fully booked.

And like you, came home to work at home 2 weeks and am still working at home 14.5 months later. And being on pretty tight lockdown. Thankfully my family is vaccinated as is the majority of my extended family in the area. I did sneak back down to WDW this same week of March this year and did have a wonderful vacation that was long overdue (cancelled WDW in September and multiple Disneyland stays (live very close so visit there a lot and do a few staycations a year in their hotels)).
Oh my gosh, wasn't it a weird week for a trip?! Flying home would have terrified me at that time - I was so glad we drove (first and only time we've driven to Disney). Glad you made it back for a return visit and had a wonderful time! Our plan is to get back down there (well, Izzy and I) on a moms/kids trip with friends in late August. We miss the magic!

I really want to write about our Alaskan cruise (was looking at the pics the other day and remembering how amazing it was), but I think I'm going to try to knock out the shorter TR first. I do want to get to writing up the Alaska one sometime, though - I really want to remember that trip! But it's probably going to be a LOT of updates with all those pics. 😆

Oh my gosh, wasn't it a weird week for a trip?! Flying home would have terrified me at that time - I was so glad we drove (first and only time we've driven to Disney). Glad you made it back for a return visit and had a wonderful time! Our plan is to get back down there (well, Izzy and I) on a moms/kids trip with friends in late August. We miss the magic!
I would love an Alaska report when you can. We are heading back to Alaska (🤞) in May 2022 with a 2 and almost 7 year old so seeing a trip report with Izzy around that age would be awesome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter