Riviera Sales by the numbers (vs CCV) for 2019 - (December added 1/16/2020)

I don't think having Caribbean Beach nearby is a negative. Caribbean Beach can be fun to look at, and it can even be beautiful, situated around the water. But it clearly is a separate resort.

Pop and AoA are also no problem. So what if those 'low lifes' use the same gondolas that pass right next to Riviera? Keep in mind that in another 10 years or so, the gondolas will probably stretch from every location in Disney World to every location in Disney World. So what if the people from Pop Century get off and go to a restaurant. I mean, really. So what. Don't you think they would do it anyway? Don't you think this is how Disney World has operated forever? It doesn't matter WHERE you stay, you get access to the whole of Disney World.

Instead, if Riviera is deemed 'high class' or 'special' it will have to be based on things that are intrinsic to Riviera itself. Excellent access to Epcot is a good point. A beautiful building with a great view, and wonderful restaurants and 'rich' decor and furnishings are other good points.

I guess we will just have to see how it all shakes out in the end.

As others have previously mentioned, I don’t have an issue with Riviera sharing amenities with value or moderate resorts. I’ve stayed at CBR many times and have no problem with it(except the pirate rooms, they suck) and will be staying at Pop in January with my friends.

What I have a problem with is paying a premium to overlook another resort. Could the view be awesome if you could see the fireworks? Sure. But we really don’t know until it opens.

I would like to stay there and try it out but the studios have been booking really fast at the 7 month mark. Easter was still available but there is no way I’m using 39 points on a studio. I’m hoping for an August or September stay.

The boardwalk view rooms over look both Yacht and Beach and no one seems to mention those resorts. Is it because we know they are "deluxe" resorts? From a pure visual stand point, the yacht/beach are no more or less visually appealing than a lot of moderate resorts. I've stayed at a number of Disney resorts and I never once thought that being able to see any other resort was a negative.

The pictures of the rooms at Riviera look absolutely beautiful... I do want to stay there and try it out. BUT, I understand what others are saying. Paying a premium on points and then topping it off with the high point per night cost of rooms, makes me want REAL luxury for the price. What are you willing to pay a premium for??? That probably differs for everyone. I am willing to pay a premium to be walking distance to a park, in a beautiful resort with nice amenities. Until I stay at Riviera, I can't really know if it's worth the cost. Based on my first impressions... not worth it. Although new and beautiful, it's not close in proximity to the parks. I can stay at Caribbean Beach, AoA or Pop and be the same proximity... I think that's why people are saying being lumped in with those resorts makes it feel less luxurious. BW, BC & YC are all deluxe and all share walking to epcot and boat/walk to HS. CR, GF and Poly are all deluxe and share a monorail to MK and Epcot. That makes them feel like they have added value to many.
I don't have a problem sharing amenities with other resorts, I just think it's over priced.

The boardwalk view rooms over look both Yacht and Beach and no one seems to mention those resorts. Is it because we know they are "deluxe" resorts? From a pure visual stand point, the yacht/beach are no more or less visually appealing than a lot of moderate resorts. I've stayed at a number of Disney resorts and I never once thought that being able to see any other resort was a negative.

Boardwalk preferred view studio magic season = 18/21 points.

Riviera preferred view studio magic season = 26/30 points.

The pictures of the rooms at Riviera look absolutely beautiful... I do want to stay there and try it out. BUT, I understand what others are saying.

The tour rooms over at SSR were AMAZING. I like a lot of different DVC rooms but I have never had a "wow" moment until I toured the rooms at RIV. Hopefully that feeling extends to the resort once it opens.

Boardwalk preferred view studio magic season = 18/21 points.

Riviera preferred view studio magic season = 26/30 points.

The argument is that people don't like the "view" if it includes other resorts, not how many points its gonna cost. The points per night isn't just based on the view, it includes all the amenities the resort offers plus view. I'd rather have RIV fireworks view with all the resort offerings than a boardwalk view at BWV.

I don't mind the higher point per night cost because I like the fact that RIV will feel more premium than BWV. Don't get me wrong, I got married and stayed at BWV but the fact that I have to leave the actual hotel to find food and other entertainment options isn't something I find very "premium". Over looking yacht/beach had no impact on my impression of the resort, however having to leave the resort when its pouring rain for food/entertainment certainly did impact my impression.

I think this thread is highlighting a key difference between some buyers on the board.

Most conversations are about the value of the savings on resale vs direct, and why RIV won’t be worth it to them, because they can stay for cheaper at CBR and have access to the same amenities like Skyliner.

But there are some buyers who (like me) want a room that feels more upscale.

I was a POR loyalist for years. Never bought DVC because the cost for rooms at POR was always cheap. Roughly 159/night.

Then as I got older, outside of Disney, I started staying at much nicer hotels on business and personal travel.

I’d show up at POR, and kinda hate the room. It often wasn’t clean enough, the bedspread fabric felt cheap, the bathroom finishes were just “fine”. The resort itself, the food options were just... not great. I was tired of chicken nuggets and the restaurant at the time, was only open for dinner.

We were already over at the Poly and CR all the time for food, and resort visits.

And one day I noticed that the toilet paper was actually Angel Soft, at CR vs the cheap bulk at POR. It made an impression.

Devil is in the details.

POR never changed all those years we used the hotel....it’s still POR... it’s still a nice resort... but *I* changed.

If I was willing to pay more when traveling elsewhere for a boutique hotel, so I could have a well appointed room and service, in order to be happy, then the same needed to apply to Disney.

So when it came time for us to buy DVC, RIV works for us, the cost per night, for points + dues is something like $355/night..... which is about what POR is running for a royal room. I know this because we are staying 2 nights at POR the Dec by request of my daughter for nostalgia sake while we are in the area to visit my parents.

So that’s why, to me, at a personal level, I’m fine with the points per night cost. It holds the RIV room at the cost of the POR room for the next 50 years. The other resorts near EPCOT that might fit my “room finish” needs, simply end too soon.

I think this thread is highlighting a key difference between some buyers on the board.

Most conversations are about the value of the savings on resale vs direct, and why RIV won’t be worth it to them, because they can stay for cheaper at CBR and have access to the same amenities like Skyliner.

But there are some buyers who (like me) want a room that feels more upscale.

I was a POR loyalist for years. Never bought DVC because the cost for rooms at POR was always cheap. Roughly 159/night.

Then as I got older, outside of Disney, I started staying at much nicer hotels on business and personal travel.

I’d show up at POR, and kinda hate the room. It often wasn’t clean enough, the bedspread fabric felt cheap, the bathroom finishes were just “fine”. The resort itself, the food options were just... not great. I was tired of chicken nuggets and the restaurant at the time, was only open for dinner.

We were already over at the Poly and CR all the time for food, and resort visits.

And one day I noticed that the toilet paper was actually Angel Soft, at CR vs the cheap bulk at POR. It made an impression.

Devil is in the details.

POR never changed all those years we used the hotel....it’s still POR... it’s still a nice resort... but *I* changed.

If I was willing to pay more when traveling elsewhere for a boutique hotel, so I could have a well appointed room and service, in order to be happy, then the same needed to apply to Disney.

So when it came time for us to buy DVC, RIV works for us, the cost per night, for points + dues is something like $355/night..... which is about what POR is running for a royal room. I know this because we are staying 2 nights at POR the Dec by request of my daughter for nostalgia sake while we are in the area to visit my parents.

So that’s why, to me, at a personal level, I’m fine with the points per night cost. It holds the RIV room at the cost of the POR room for the next 50 years. The other resorts near EPCOT that might fit my “room finish” needs, simply end too soon.

Pretty much exactly how I feel. I've stayed at BWV and have been visited the rooms at BCV/Yacht through friends and while certainly nice and better than a hotel room, I was never blown away. I love the location of the resorts but I want my room to feel more premium and that is exactly how I felt with Riviera.

I did consider the BWV/BCV but ultimately they didn't tick enough boxes for me and the killer was the length of time remaining.

The argument is that people don't like the "view" if it includes other resorts, not how many points its gonna cost. The points per night isn't just based on the view, it includes all the amenities the resort offers plus view. I'd rather have RIV fireworks view with all the resort offerings than a boardwalk view at BWV.

I don't mind the higher point per night cost because I like the fact that RIV will feel more premium than BWV. Don't get me wrong, I got married and stayed at BWV but the fact that I have to leave the actual hotel to find food and other entertainment options isn't something I find very "premium". Over looking yacht/beach had no impact on my impression of the resort, however having to leave the resort when its pouring rain for food/entertainment certainly did impact my impression.
How long until they pull those “amenities” for profit? Look at TOTWL... For me it’s not any one thing with Riviera. It’s everything:

◾Cost per point

◾ Points per room

◾ Encouraging resort hopping for other guests via Skyliner (I do NOT like the vibe in the Poly lobby and avoid walking by Cape May during bkfst and dinner- I am concerned about the impact on the BW area as a BCV owner as well)

◾No assurance those beautiful rooms will not be remodeled beyond recognition, and definite assurance that they’ll be looking very rough for years before they finally get refurbished

◾The high MF (seriously, is the operating cost for the skyliner going to be fairly split between the cash resorts & an all DVC resort..?

◾Possible return of 2020 point chart

◾Etc, etc, etc

At least with an L14 resort I know I can offload it without losing my shirt.

How long until they pull those “amenities” for profit? Look at TOTWL... For me it’s not any one thing with Riviera. It’s everything:

◾Cost per point

◾ Points per room

◾ Encouraging resort hopping for other guests via Skyliner (I do NOT like the vibe in the Poly lobby and avoid walking by Cape May during bkfst and dinner- I am concerned about the impact on the BW area as a BCV owner as well)

◾No assurance those beautiful rooms will not be remodeled beyond recognition, and definite assurance that they’ll be looking very rough for years before they finally get refurbished

◾The high MF (seriously, is the operating cost for the skyliner going to be fairly split between the cash resorts & an all DVC resort..?

◾Etc, etc, etc

All valid points. It would have to be so beyond what I already get with DVC for me to even consider purchasing here.

My gf and I toured the RIV model room last week. It’s beautiful. We have 3 kids between us so the option of all 5 of us being able to go and having 2 bathrooms in a studio is a plus. If we were already married we might have pulled the trigger last week, but I gotta buy a ring and we have to do a wedding in the near future. I’ve stayed at BLT and BCV on points and the new rooms blow them away IMHO. The resale thing doesn’t really bother me because I’d be buying it for future vacations, not a future investment.

My gf and I toured the RIV model room last week. It’s beautiful. We have 3 kids between us so the option of all 5 of us being able to go and having 2 bathrooms in a studio is a plus. If we were already married we might have pulled the trigger last week, but I gotta buy a ring and we have to do a wedding in the near future. I’ve stayed at BLT and BCV on points and the new rooms blow them away IMHO. The resale thing doesn’t really bother me because I’d be buying it for future vacations, not a future investment.
I'm not kidding when I say this...forget the ring and the fancy wedding, spend the money on DVC. At least then you have something you can get some use out of. :)

But you don’t know if you’ll even like the food or amenities at Riviera. It all sounds good on paper because they’re trying to sell it. Like I’ve said before, I need to stay there and see why the resort is worth a premium. If it’s unbelievable, I wouldn’t be opposed to getting points there.

◾Cost per point

◾ Points per room

◾Etc, etc, etc

I think this post is exactly what I was talking about earlier. The difference in buyer.

For me:
- Amenities are not like TOTWL - Topolino is more like CG - it’s a signature restaurant. I know upfront the events there (NYE) will be $550/pp
- Cost is a sunk cost and equals what I’d be paying at a moderate.
- remodel risk, sure, but the MF should take into account replacing marble baths etc. I’ve sat on a board for years of a resort area we own a cottage at, we have reports for replacement and lifespan expected for our amenities - that is taken into account with our condo fees of today.
- MF overall - let’s evaluate when the % increase per year has hit over 5 years. That is when you’ll see deprecation and taxes, and how these fit with the other resorts.
-2020 point chart - I’ll give you that one. I bought a fixed week to mitigate some of that risk.
- Resale - again I’ll give that risk and see fixed week (picked week 52), to try and retain value in a life emergency. It should either rent well in an estate setting for cost of carrying because it’s still WDW, or, may sell vs sitting forever.

As far as vibe goes - I love Poly, so that may explain why I’m fine if the resort is busier than, say, OKW.

I now don't think there is that much difference between the RIV rooms and the newly renovated SSR rooms- the RIV rooms are a bit better, but not much. What a good job DVC has done with that SSR upgrade I have to say- credit where it is due, the detailing is wonderful.

I now don't think there is that much difference between the RIV rooms and the newly renovated SSR rooms- the RIV rooms are a bit better, but not much. What a good job DVC has done with that SSR upgrade I have to say- credit where it is due, the detailing is wonderful.
That is a very nice upgraded villa.

facebook twitter