Leahc117

Mouseketeer
Would any of you be tempted to purchase Riviera direct? $25 off per point for 200 pts or more. It amounts to not much more than the SSR contract I was looking at direct. I’ve been pretty certain I would stay away from RIV but the rooms look beautiful in the videos I’ve seen. I know I would have an issue selling down the road...what about renting should we tire of WDW? Would it be popular for renters since most resale members wouldn’t be able to use points there? Thanks for any feedback!!

The consensus seems to be that relying on renting in the next 18 months is going to be challenging.
There is a thread which asked what price would you pay for a RIV contract and this had many polarized views.
The point chart is too high for me and dues are as well but others not put off by it.
Even at $175 it’s not the most economical resort to stay at if that is a consideration.
Have you thought about renting there yourself for now and then just keep an eye on future incentives.

Most DVC members can use points there. Very few won't and long term more and more people will exclusively have to book there which is your bigger potential problem.

If I bought RIV I would have a fixed week as a back up.

Also your MFs are higher so be aware of that. Plus room point charts are higher too.

Pricing is good though so you have to make the choice.

Would any of you be tempted to purchase Riviera direct? $25 off per point for 200 pts or more. It amounts to not much more than the SSR contract I was looking at direct. I’ve been pretty certain I would stay away from RIV but the rooms look beautiful in the videos I’ve seen. I know I would have an issue selling down the road...what about renting should we tire of WDW? Would it be popular for renters since most resale members wouldn’t be able to use points there? Thanks for any feedback!!
I think the question is, do you absolutely love Riviera? I would suggest most people should purchase Saratoga Springs or Old Key West as their direct purchase, but only if they’re happy to stay at one of those resorts. I think Riviera makes a lot of sense though, if you 1) love Riviera, and 2) are pretty confident that you will get something like 20 years use out of it.

I’ve never been to Riviera...or SSR...or OKW. Our last trip we stayed at AKL (and loved it) and would prefer to buy DVC prior to spending any more money on hotel stays. Quite honestly I want to buy DVC so I can try all the resorts (which may be an issue with availability). I know people say buy where you love but I was thinking SSR for buy where you can afford the most points...then I saw RIV was not terribly far from SSR in pricing with 2070 expiration!

I’ve never been to Riviera...or SSR...or OKW. Our last trip we stayed at AKL (and loved it) and would prefer to buy DVC prior to spending any more money on hotel stays. Quite honestly I want to buy DVC so I can try all the resorts (which may be an issue with availability). I know people say buy where you love but I was thinking SSR for buy where you can afford the most points...then I saw RIV was not terribly far from SSR in pricing with 2070 expiration!
Are you old enough to take advantage of that?

Frankly it sounds like you might be a good candidate for buying Animal Kingdom. That has incentives right now as well, and 200 direct points is $178 for new members vs $170 at Riviera. The dues are currently less than Riviera’s as well, although that’s always subject to change. It expires in 2057.

I don't buy the thought of "buy where you want to stay" but rather "buy where you don't mind staying that's the cheapest". But also look at real potential for usage. If you want to sleep around then buy the cheapest and that's SSR. Of course that assumes that buying at all is reasonable. IMO that leaves out HHI & VB because they are not the cheapest long term AND you do not have an 11 month window for WDW.

We bought 150 Riv last Thursday. Earlier this summer we were only planning on purchasing 100 for the blue card, but with the $15 pp savings, it came out that we were paying $150 pp for another 50 points. Since we were planning on buying another 100-150 resale anyhow, we figured that this was in the range of buying those points resale at say a monorail resort, and allowed us a little more flexibility when booking Riv since it does require more points (which we fully acknowledge as a drawback, and we fully accept). This was all well thought through and pondered over for months, and we are very happy with our purchase. We still plan on buying 100 or so resale points in a year.

I am in the same position as you are, grappling between buying RIV and hearing everyone aversions to the high point chart, maintenance and primarily the resale restrictions had me second guessing myself. But I offered my family the choice of SSR and AKL and they/we prefer the feel of RIV and access to the Skyliner. Essentially it boils down to you and what you want. Everyone’s preferences are different, If you’d prefer to stay at RIV over the other resorts the incentives offered now are pretty good...my issue is will they get even better towards the end of the year☺️

Why buy all 200 direct? Especially Saratoga. Buy 100 direct, then pick up a resale of 100 with same UY.
But the resale points would not be able to be used at RIV or any future resorts, if that matters to the OP.

ETA: Also, there's no incentive for buying 100 direct points whereas there's a $25 per point incentive for buying 200 points.

Last edited:
and more people will exclusively have to book there which is your bigger potential problem.
I never really thought about that until you made that point but dang you are so right... suppose 15 years from now that 20% of all RIV contracts have turned over on the secondary market. That’s 20% of owners that can ONLY book at RIV. That’s going to be an absolute capacity nightmare. I don’t think Disney thought about that policy long term.

I never really thought about that until you made that point but dang you are so right... suppose 15 years from now that 20% of all RIV contracts have turned over on the secondary market. That’s 20% of owners that can ONLY book at RIV. That’s going to be an absolute capacity nightmare. I don’t think Disney thought about that policy long term.
I bet they thought it through and then some. Once they have your money, they want to make your investment not look that good to buyers. They succeeded. If your able to keep it 50 years, reselling isn’t a issue, but booking rooms less than 10 months away will be an issue.

Last edited:
I just purchased today. 300 pts at RIV and I got a $9000 discount. Honestly 300 pts wont be enough for us but my anniversary month is February so I get another 300 pts in 6 months. I plan on paying the contract off before then and I will add another 100-150 pts. Paperwork off to FedEx in the morning!

I just purchased today. 300 pts at RIV and I got a $9000 discount. Honestly 300 pts wont be enough for us but my anniversary month is February so I get another 300 pts in 6 months. I plan on paying the contract off before then and I will add another 100-150 pts. Paperwork off to FedEx in the morning!

Did you get a fixed week? Also did you split the contract so it wasn't a single contract for 300 points?

Just two suggestions.

Congrats on the Riviera home.

Did you get a fixed week? Also did you split the contract so it wasn't a single contract for 300 points?

Just two suggestions.

Congrats on the Riviera home.
I just read my contract. It says use year is Feb 1st. Contract ends Jan 31 2070. I'm new to this so I had no idea about splitting the contracts and I don't know if I would have got the discount if I did so. I don't think I will have an issue with points as we go a lot so I'm sure I will use them up before they expire. Any advice?

You would have to cancel your current contract and have them draw up separate contracts with x number of points in each. Would will have to pay closing costs for each contract. However if you do sell in the future 300 point contract have less interest from buyers than smaller contracts.

We bought Riviera in May 19 for the same price they are now. We bought 200 points over 2 contracts.

I would say that Riviera standard studio availability is limited and becomes patchy even at 10 months out. I think this will get worse as they sell more contracts, as currently they’ve released more rooms than proportion of contracts sold.

We bought 150 Riv last Thursday. Earlier this summer we were only planning on purchasing 100 for the blue card, but with the $15 pp savings, it came out that we were paying $150 pp for another 50 points. Since we were planning on buying another 100-150 resale anyhow, we figured that this was in the range of buying those points resale at say a monorail resort, and allowed us a little more flexibility when booking Riv since it does require more points (which we fully acknowledge as a drawback, and we fully accept). This was all well thought through and pondered over for months, and we are very happy with our purchase. We still plan on buying 100 or so resale points in a year.
It is a gorgeous resort; really was very impressed! Congrats!:cheer2: I'm sure that you will love it!

I just read my contract. It says use year is Feb 1st. Contract ends Jan 31 2070. I'm new to this so I had no idea about splitting the contracts and I don't know if I would have got the discount if I did so. I don't think I will have an issue with points as we go a lot so I'm sure I will use them up before they expire. Any advice?
You will get the discount at the 300pt level even if you split the contracts into 3 100pt contracts.

I'd definitely split up that contract into 2 or 3 smaller contracts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!