RIP Le Cellier, we'll miss you!

Over the years, I've continually read comments from folks about how the best thing that could happen for some of their preferred restaurants was to be taken off of the Dining Plan, but I suspect that making a restaurant 2TS (at least for dinner) would serve as foundation for their optimism that that will improve that restaurant (at least for dinner).

I wonder if they're going to actually change the meal substantially (reflected in a more-than-inflationary increase in the regular menu prices), or just make small changes (leaving regular menu prices pretty-much reflecting only a Disney-standard inflationary increase, year-over-year, on par with the increase at other restaurants). I suspect the latter - the increase to 2TS therefore just being a means of effectively addressing what they consider excessive demand. It did work for CRT. It is now possible to get ADRs there, without a big hassle, yet the restaurant seems to be more than full-enough for the credit increase to be a net-gain for the restaurant overall.

Amen ! Now that all the people who only go because of free dining will stay away and those of us who actually pay for our meals can get a ressie !

There was no cause for this comment. It's always hard to get ADRs for Le Cellier no matter what time of the year it is. Free dining has nothing to do with it. I go to WDW several times a year. I've always been lucky enough to get Le Cellier every trip, as it has always been a must do for us (again I have two ADRs there for my upcoming Dec trip and also had two ADRs there for my trip last fall). With it going to two credits, we can also expect the prices to go WAY UP. No way is it worth those prices (nor is it worth two dining credits--whether we paid for our dining or got it free). Just FYI: I am an AP holder. I have the DDP for my Oct trip and the DxDDP for my Dec trip. Both trips I'm paying for the DDPs, not getting it for free either time. For that matter I paid for my DDP last fall, even though it was during the free dining period, because the AP discount beat the free dining deals.

I'm not sure when you are going to WDW, but again I go several times a year and have never paid rack rates, except the times we've chosen to go with free dining. I usually use the AP rates, but have also used the buy 4/get 3 nights free, book % off bouncebacks, used the Disney Visa offers, etc).

I think we should hold off making any judgments about Le Cellier until we see exactly what they are going to do about the menu and food quality.

It seems to me like lunch will remain pretty much the same, but perhaps the change to signature status for dinner will come along with a significantly revised menu.

Originally Posted by Swmhc
Amen ! Now that all the people who only go because of free dining will stay away and those of us who actually pay for our meals can get a ressie !

I bet the opposite actually. I am a DVC owner and will not get free dining, but if I did, I would use it at 2 TS restaurants and pay OOP for a 1 TS.

It will be interesting to see what happens now. I would guess that LeCellier increased the TS credit because the could. For some reason (and I personally don't get the whole "LeCellier thing) it is a restaurant that for several years now has been in much demand. EVERYONE wants an ADR at LeCellier! The inability to "score" a ressie is the cause of much disappointment ... I did read one post where the poster suggested that it was going to ruin her trip ... and "scoring" a ressie was a cause for great celebration. I'm not sure that this will really settle things down ... those who truly love LeCellier will likely "pay" the two cedits without complaint, unless the thrill of an ADR at LeCellier is more about "scoring" something that is very hard to get than it is about the qulaity of the food and experience. :confused3

I think the 2credit move will make it easier for those who are not on any dining plan to get an ADR for dinner there. Not just during free dining time period.

It will be interesting to see whether the prices rise drastically though.

LOL, I knew somebody would get on here and make a snarky remark like that! :confused3

IMO, people going to Disney during free dining and paying rack rate for everything else are no different than people who get a room discount and pay for their meals.

And ITA, DonaldTDuck! If I get free dining while I'm paying rack rate for a deluxe resort because no other discounts are available, why does that make me a bad person? Trust me, I would much rather get 25-40% off my room and pay for my dining out of pocket without the DDP!!

Yeah, I agree. I don't understand why some people get so bent out of shape about people taking advantage of free dining. It is Disney who created this, not the guest.

Quite honestly, I wish Disney would do away with free dining and stick to offering room discounts, but not because of the guests, only the restaurant availability.

I guess it just goes to show that there are some ugly-hearted, bitter people in this world. I don't see how you can get your tail in a twist over something like Disney. :confused3

What time does LeCellier switch from lunch to dinner? I wonder what'll happen if you have an ADR during the lunch hours, arrive early to be sure you're seated on time, but due to waiting times get seated after the switch to dinner.

What is the difference between Lunch and Dinner @ Le Cellier? Do you still get the yummy bread at Lunch? Is the portion smaller, or is the menu completely different?

The real question is how will lunch and dinner differ after March.

Boy am I glad I was able to get an ADR for this trip!!!! :woohoo:

This will be our first time dining at Le Cellier and, unfortunately, most likely our last.

We enjoy LeCellier, my kids and DH favorite. I was able to get two reservations for our December trip, and now I am really glad I did. Although this will be our last trip of using the DDP, so maybe I will still go there depending on what they do to their prices. If it doesn't change much, I guess it won't make a difference for us. It will be very interesting to see how things change, if at all. popcorn::

Gotta say that I'm happy about it.
We don't use DDP so I'm hopeful that this will mean it is easier to get a Le Cellier dinner reservation (especially during free dining periods)

Emacek

The real question is how will lunch and dinner differ after March.

I suspect it could be very different...I'd guess the lunch menu will lean more towards soups/salads/sandwiches. You'd think they would want to make a substantial difference between the two. But I'm wondering if they may change the menu for lunch before March?

Hope not, we have lunch reservations in mid-January and hoping for a "final" favorite meal there...

I’m not sure I understand the huge difference between a 1TS and a 2TS meal. We pay out of pocket, because it’s way cheaper, but I’d really like to understand this. If something is a 2TS meal, why can’t you just pay OOP on a different night for dinner, maybe at a CS restaurant? Table service already takes up so much time (says the girl who has FOUR table service reservations for her upcoming three and a half day trip), it’s not like everyone has to use their TS credits evenly.

You can pay OOP for any meal you want. However, what we see with the dining plan is that most guests using it do not want to pay OOP for anything as they have already prepaid their meals and want to stick to the budget. Also, using two TS credits for a meal means you're down the opportunity to book two different one-TS restaurants.

Most basic DDP users prefer one-credit restaurants. Deluxe users might book more two TS restaurants. Regarding Le Cellier at this time there is also some resistance to spending 2 credits next year when this year you only have to spend one.

We have never been and our first time will be in Nov. Kinda glad we got an ADR..it took us a while to find a time!

I'm glad we at least get to try it. We've never done anything signature so I doubt we will be back but am happy to get the chance!

It's worth one credit. Not worth the OOP price IMO. Not worth two credits either.

We are going 2/26-3/5. Hoping I can get an ADR for the 26thif not I will try for lunch depending on what's on the menu.

DH lets me pick EVERYTHING for our trip. ADR's, hotel, touring plans, etc. All he asks for is LeCellier and Ohana. Have to give him at least that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter