Riding Splash Mountain

If you wear a poncho, it won’t prevent socks and shoes from getting drenched!!!

Like the others, I’ve never gotten drenched on splash mountain. I’m sure you CAN get drenched on it when they have all the cannons firing, but that’s only on blistering hot summer days.

Not true, unfortunately. We got hit by the water cannon on a blustery December day. We didn't expect it to be on and the non-ponchoed amongst us were miserable (including some in wet jeans for hours).

It's funny, of all the times I've ridden Splash Mountain I can't say I've ever gotten drenched. Wet, absolutely. But not drenched. Even on Kali River Rapids, unless you're in the "right" seat you might not get very wet. It can be really hit or miss.
When I think of drenched I think of the Popeye ride at Universal, lol.

We rode this morning with what I assumed was terrible weight distribution. DD10, DD9 and I we in the front. DH with DS6 in row 2 and only two people (one in each row) behind us. On each of the shorter drops a wave came up various distances on the front of the log. I was sure we were going to get a really nasty bow wave on the main drop and us 3 girls were going to have a lap full of water. Thankfully it didn't happen. DH got hit with the cannon though and did get pretty wet. But typically we don't get drenched. Wet, yes, drenched not really.

Never ridden Kali. It's not worth it at Disney. Too inconvenient to go back to the resort and change. At Uni you can ride all 3 water rides then walk back to the resort. That's the only theme park where I like to go on water rides that drench you.

Good advice--thanks, everyone! We have 2 kids with sensory issues, so we haven't done any of the water rides at Disney. Next trip we may try a few without them. I think we can both handle Splash, but I'll ride with a poncho. DH insists he must ride Kali. When it's time to pick FPs I'll warn him, but he won't listen. At least I'll know not to ride!

We rode this morning with what I assumed was terrible weight distribution. DD10, DD9 and I we in the front. DH with DS6 in row 2 and only two people (one in each row) behind us. On each of the shorter drops a wave came up various distances on the front of the log. I was sure we were going to get a really nasty bow wave on the main drop and us 3 girls were going to have a lap full of water. Thankfully it didn't happen. DH got hit with the cannon though and did get pretty wet. But typically we don't get drenched. Wet, yes, drenched not really.

Never ridden Kali. It's not worth it at Disney. Too inconvenient to go back to the resort and change. At Uni you can ride all 3 water rides then walk back to the resort. That's the only theme park where I like to go on water rides that drench you.

I've never stayed onsite at Universal, and when we day-tripped out there in 2015 in the middle of a WDW trip I learned to bring a full change of clothes--I told myself I just wouldn't ride the water rides, but then I did it anyway and was miserable the rest of the afternoon because I was absolutely soaked to the skin. Totally worth the cost of a locker to have a bag full of dry clothes and a nice dry beach towel for when you're ready to be done being wet. For Kali, my strategy when I was a CM and would go to the park on my days off was always to bring the bottom half of a rain suit in my bag and put ye olde waterproof pants on over my lower half before riding (I always wear sandals that dry out quickly, so shoes aren't an issue). I'm fine with my upper half being wet; keeping the lower half dry means no chafing.

This thread is reminding me of the one and only time I've ridden the Disneyland version of Splash. We had a dinner reservation at Napa Rose so we planned to change into dresses in a restroom before leaving the park anyway, so I talked my housemate into riding Splash Mountain before we changed clothes. We're both hefty people, and they put us in a log with two more hefty adults behind us. Those DL logs sit low in the water to begin with and, well, when we hit the bottom of the big flume there was such a big wave over the bow that it was like I'd jumped in a pool with all my clothes on.

This is our daughter’s favorite ride so we’ve been on it A LOT! I’m convinced there is no seat to stay dry. It seems completely random and we’ve all gotten soaked in different seats.

I’m at the point now where I always where a poncho. I don’t mind being a little bit wet especially when it’s really hot but I’ve gotten SO soaked on that ride before that it’s affected the rest of my day so I don’t risk it now.

Just get a cheap 99 cent poncho and throw it out when you are done.

I attached our recent picture on the ride and my husband and son look so funny in their ponchos hunched over! Lol....And that’s me trying to get my hood back up because it flew back at the last second. My daughter actually wasn’t on it with us this time because she was down there with the band doing her own thing.
OMG, that picture is hilarious! LOL! Thank you for the chuckle!

ETA: In response to the thread in general, I've never been what I'd call "soaked' on Splash, but I have no doubt it happens. I love the ride and actually don't mind getting wet, especially when it's a hot summer day. I try to wear quick-drying clothing when I'm at Disney, footwear included. Because if Splash or Kali don't get ya, the thunderstorms and downpours will! Even so, I do take into account the fact that I'll most likely be wet after Splash. I tend to schedule it before BTMRR. Get my bath on Splash and dry off whipping around on Big Thunder!

Last edited:
We have gotten soaked on Splash multiple times. Last trip DW and I had our ponchos so wore them. Splash is one of my favourite rides....the story, the length, music, and yes, the drop....not the getting wet part. If it was just the splash from the drop that would be fine but the part where we tend to get quite wet are getting stuck beside waterfall part and the splash from other people coming down the drop. I don't enjoy walking around wet, especially when we're there in cooler months. I'm sure when we go in September I'll gladly get wet. Kali is a no-go for us after having ridden it once. We all got soaked right through and ended up going back to the resort to change (thankfully we were just at AKV).

And THAT is why Kali is our last ride of the day at AK. We always go in months where the weather is warm or just darn hot. I don't feel like carrying a change of clothes around with us, so my son and I are going to save Kali for last. I did bring a backpack one year and just used a locker to put it in when we first arrived. Never needed the change of clothes. We were heading back to the resort anyway, so everything worked out fine. I'm making sure to do all our meet and greets before doing Kali as taking a picture with Pocahontas while I look like I just walked out of the shower with my clothes on is not the picture I want on my phone or Memory Maker. :rotfl2::rotfl2:

I guess my family is the oddball out here. WE LOVE GETTING SOAKED!!! My DH and 2DS ride KRR on repeat until the line builds and then use their FP for it. I like it too, but I'm a one and done type of person for KRR (I'll repeat ride Splash when I can though). I'll ride it with them and then go through Maharajah Jungle Trek. We also plan our attire for the fact that we are going to be wet. Everyone wears Crocs or sandals. At AK, my DH and 2DS wears swimsuits and rashguard shirts so that they dry faster. I wear my dri-fit clothing I wear when I workout. We all dry in less than an hour. We all wear dri-fit clothing to MK as well. Again, we're all dry in less than an hour. The only parks we actually wear tennis shoes and socks to is DHS and Epcot

My sister and I road on the back row. I was on the left (facing forward) and she was on the right. I didn't get wet and she got drenched.

She got hit by a huge splash in the beginning where the other boats are coming down the big drop. Our boat also happened to stop right next to a waterfall on the right side near the end of the ride that was just spraying her with water while we waited there. We got stuck there for quite a few minutes. I had a great time lol

I smiled when I saw a couple of previous posters said to sit behind someone tall. I guess I’m the proverbial shield lol. Our kids are getting bigger so last time I rode with 2 of them in the front row and myself alone in the second row. The splash went right over their heads and I caught the brunt of it square in the face/chest. The row behind me was bone dry.

Also totally agree with those who said the small waterfall at the end is no big deal. We were stuck there for a few minutes and it was nothing more than a refreshing sprinkle, but we’re water rats.

We have been DRENCHED in all spots. Last November was TO-THE-BONE wet. It took HOURS to dry off. A great memory, but shocking at first - NEVER have been that wet before..

I honestly have never in 40+ visits gotten drenched on this ride! I've been splashed, I've definitely come off with a wet butt, but never drenched like if you go under a waterfall on Kali (and the last time I rode it they had them all off which sucked). Now that I've ridden Splash at Disneyland I think theirs is way better because you definitely get wet! Sit in the back left to avoid the big splash and the little waterfall at the end. I think the biggest threat is the water cannons they shoot at the boat when *other* boats are going down the big drop, though, and there's nothing you can do to avoid that one. Just make sure your phone won't get ruined and have fun - the whole point is the splash! :tigger:

IMO, it truly makes no difference whatsoever. The "left vs right" is just myth. It depends on who is in the boat, where they are sitting, the timing of the splash, etc...

The only difference is after the big drop, if the boats are backed up, you will stop next to a waterfall. If you're on the right, you may get some light spray as you sit there and wait your turn. But even that only lasts a few seconds and won't "drench" you.

Not a myth if you are sitting with my mother! Some of it depends on how high the water is in the tracks, and the weight of people in your log. But for sure, it depends on if my mom is in the log. She always gets soaked, and got drenched at the waterfall.

I smiled when I saw a couple of previous posters said to sit behind someone tall. I guess I’m the proverbial shield lol. Our kids are getting bigger so last time I rode with 2 of them in the front row and myself alone in the second row. The splash went right over their heads and I caught the brunt of it square in the face/chest. The row behind me was bone dry.

Also totally agree with those who said the small waterfall at the end is no big deal. We were stuck there for a few minutes and it was nothing more than a refreshing sprinkle, but we’re water rats.

That happens to my DH. He's tall so he gets a face and chest full of water no matter where he sits (unless behind someone else tall).

I think they can turn the water fall pressure up and down. We've been there when it's no big deal and also stuck there with a lot of water coming into the boat.

Correct. Left or right doesn't matter much for the splashes on the drops, but when you park by that waterfall, you definitely don't want to be on the right side!

And I ALWAYS forget this as we are loading and I let my kid in first!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter