Ride intensity?

BroadwayHermione5

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

I’m a WDW girl who is heading to DLR this summer!

some rides I will not go on for various reasons, but I ant to know your thoughts on any rides that might be intense or should have an intensity warning.

No opinion is too big or too small: I want to hear them all!

EDIT: so for me, I consider various things intense. I don’t like dinosaur at AK as it’s jerky, but am totally fine with everything else in the park. So I’ll just list what bothers me by park. I’ll also give examples from UOR incase that gives more of a gauge.

MK: *I don’t do space mountain because I feel to talk for it even though I’m short, I also like knowing where I’m going.

EPCOT: *I don’t do Mission Space at all. Everything else I do multiple times (not in a row but throughout the day yes)

DHS: *Never been on rocking roller coaster
*Love ToT, love ROTR, pretty much the only ride that was a little intense was SDD but I partially think that’s cuz I just ate

AK: *Dont like Dinosaur

USO: Don’t do Rip Ride Rocket, don’t like the mummy (too tight of a space for sitting), never ridden transformers everything else love it

IOA: Don’t like Hulk, Never had the chance to ride velocicoaster or Hagrid (but have been ok verbolten in BGW which is similar track system so I’m good with that). Everything else is fair game

Thank you!
BH5

Last edited:
It might help if you give examples of the rides that are too intense for you in WDW.

In general the most intense rides for DLR are Incredicoaster (fast rollercoaster, small inversion) and Guardians of the Galaxy (similar to Tower of Terror, well worth it IMO) - both in DCA.

Some rides in DL that some might find intense (or especially jerky if you have back/neck issues) are Indiana Jones, Space Mountain, and Matterhorn).

Semi-intense water rides are Splash Mountain and Grizzly River Run.

And I've never rode Mickey's Fun Wheel, but those swinging cars look terrifying.

Mickey's Fun Wheel - or Mickey's Wheel of Death - is easily the most terrifying attraction at the parks. My husband is the thrill ride lover (as in bring on the gigacoaster) and he says the only "thrill ride" in his books is those swinging cars.

Second the warning for Inredicoaster and Guardians. Some may find Goofy's Sky School slightly jarring (just cuz it's that crazy mouse style), and in DL proper I know some people have trouble with Star Tours. Personally I get horrendously motion sick usually and can handle Star Tours fine. Indiana Jones is likely the most intense, plus Space Mountain and Matterhorn and that drop in Splash. I'd also add the teacups to that list, as sometimes the spinning is what ends up being most intense.

It might help if you give examples of the rides that are too intense for you in WDW.

In general the most intense rides for DLR are Incredicoaster (fast rollercoaster, small inversion) and Guardians of the Galaxy (similar to Tower of Terror, well worth it IMO) - both in DCA.

Some rides in DL that some might find intense (or especially jerky if you have back/neck issues) are Indiana Jones, Space Mountain, and Matterhorn).

Semi-intense water rides are Splash Mountain and Grizzly River Run.

And I've never rode Mickey's Fun Wheel, but those swinging cars look terrifying.
Edits made thank you

Mickey's Fun Wheel - or Mickey's Wheel of Death - is easily the most terrifying attraction at the parks. My husband is the thrill ride lover (as in bring on the gigacoaster) and he says the only "thrill ride" in his books is those swinging cars.

Second the warning for Inredicoaster and Guardians. Some may find Goofy's Sky School slightly jarring (just cuz it's that crazy mouse style), and in DL proper I know some people have trouble with Star Tours. Personally I get horrendously motion sick usually and can handle Star Tours fine. Indiana Jones is likely the most intense, plus Space Mountain and Matterhorn and that drop in Splash. I'd also add the teacups to that list, as sometimes the spinning is what ends up being most intense.
My aunt is someone who gets sick on star tours so I know that all too well.
I love ToT so guardians won’t be a problem. Incredicaostwr I honestly don’t think I’ll ever do it just seems not my style (I’m kind of picky with coasters tbh)

I believe Indy is similar to Dinosaur in the ride mechanics. It has been a long time since I was at WDW though. It is very jerky. Goofy's Flight School also feels pretty jerky to me, and the Matterhorn can be a bit of a rough ride. Space Mtn at DLR is a smoother ride than at WDW, but you still have the same darkness and low ceilings.

The swinging cars on the fun wheel are definitely intense, but I found it less intense than GotG (I really struggle with drops in rides) or Incredicoaster.

I didn’t ride Indy or goofy due to jerkiness and didn’t miss either this trip.

I enjoy the moving cars on the wheel. Lol

The car we rode on incredicoaster front row this time was not jerky.

Space can be jerky but I love it.

I generally find Matterhorn to be terrible. But this time we rode fantasyland side. I plant my feet, hold on to the bar in front, and don’t sit back. It wasn’t too bad. I definitely didn’t ride again though.

I believe Indy is similar to Dinosaur in the ride mechanics. It has been a long time since I was at WDW though. It is very jerky. Goofy's Flight School also feels pretty jerky to me, and the Matterhorn can be a bit of a rough ride. Space Mtn at DLR is a smoother ride than at WDW, but you still have the same darkness and low ceilings.

The swinging cars on the fun wheel are definitely intense, but I found it less intense than GotG (I really struggle with drops in rides) or Incredicoaster.
I feel like because Indy is part coaster I might be ok? My body is weird with stuff it does and doesn’t like lol.
I also have to be careful due to many musculoskeletal injuries and happenings on my end (don’t give yourself re urging costochondritis-that’s the inflammation of the tissue around your sternum. Found out I had that before I found out what caused it-which is a mix of severe acid reflux and me ate watching my shoulders to fat. Now I live with that forever but I’m very careful now and often do really good. I broke my ankle 8 years ago and I’m just very protective of it, so sometimes I won’t know I don’t like something until I ride.)
I have a feeling Matterhorn will be something I’ll have to figure out if I want to do or not before the trip. I’ve heard so many things and I’m already hearing my back and knees crack!

One big note is that The Matterhorn is almost exactly like Space Mountain in MK - they are built on the same basic track system and ride vehicles (they are a little different after various refurbs). If you don't like MK Space, avoid Matterhorn. Space Mountian at DL is a very different ride - it probably is actually more intense, but less jerky if that matters to you (it's still a bit jerky though). Matterhorn is a spine-buster for sure!

One big note is that The Matterhorn is almost exactly like Space Mountain in MK - they are built on the same basic track system and ride vehicles (they are a little different after various refurbs). If you don't like MK Space, avoid Matterhorn. Space Mountian at DL is a very different ride - it probably is actually more intense, but less jerky if that matters to you (it's still a bit jerky though). Matterhorn is a spine-buster for sure!
Also Matterhorn seats are similar to space mountain MK correct?
Also tbh I have never gotten the hype over any iteration of space mountain. A lights on ride or going on the people mover with lights on would be a dream lol but I just….I’m 5’4” and feel too tall for the ride and I just get terrified every time I ride it. Haven’t ridden since 2017

I’ve always heard it was like a coaster…..so I could be wrong beyond all belief lol

Indy is pretty much exactly like DINOSAUR at Animal Kingdom. It is what they call an "Enhanced Motion Vehicle" - it's a self driving car that doesn't actually move very fast, however the seating platform is on a moving gimbal that can elevate and pitch to simulate rough terain, going downhille, etc. It can be described as rough, but not too rough really.

Also Matterhorn seats are similar to space mountain MK correct?
Also tbh I have never gotten the hype over any iteration of space mountain. A lights on ride or going on the people mover with lights on would be a dream lol but I just….I’m 5’4” and feel too tall for the ride and I just get terrified every time I ride it. Haven’t ridden since 2017

The Matterhorn bobsleds are for all intents and purposes exaxtly the same of Space Mountain. When Space was built at MK they basically used the same track design, just built a different building around it - it was the first tubular steel roller coaster! That's why the "rockets" are so low to the ground an dseat people single file - they were bobsleds! There is curently one difference, and that is that The Matterhorn still uses seat belts, while Space Mountain has the T-Bar restraints (MK Space used to use cloth seat belts). I will say that Matterhorn feels slower because you can see where you are going, but it's VERY rough, I'd say rougher than Space Mountain since SM had a full track replacement about 12 years ago.

Last edited:
My aunt is someone who gets sick on star tours so I know that all too well.
I love ToT so guardians won’t be a problem. Incredicaostwr I honestly don’t think I’ll ever do it just seems not my style (I’m kind of picky with coasters tbh)

Here is a note on Star Tours - the simulator moves along two axes of rotation that meet at a fixed point. The further you sit from the point the more motion you will experience because the edges move more. I have been known to feel a little nauseated when I am sitting in the back corner, but am never bothered when sitting closer to the middle of the ride vehciles (the center of the entire vehicle so closer to the front rows of seating). For the record, Star Tours at DL is identical to the WDW version.

Here is a note on Star Tours - the simulator moves along two axes of rotation that meet at a fixed point. The further you sit from the point the more motion you will experience because the edges move more. I have been known to feel a little nauseated when I am sitting in the back corner, but am never bothered when sitting closer to the middle of the ride vehciles (the center of the entire vehicle so closer to the front rows of seating). For the record, Star Tours at DL is identical to the WDW version.
That’s actually where she was sitting the last time she rode it and got motion sickness (she can do ToT and mine train no problem. It’s rides that spin real quick like MIB at UOR or those motion simulation rides. 3D is iffy)

That’s actually where she was sitting the last time she rode it and got motion sickness (she can do ToT and mine train no problem. It’s rides that spin real quick like MIB at UOR or those motion simulation rides. 3D is iffy)

That back row seat that sticks out into the aisle is THE WORST! It is furthest from the axes of motion so it makes sense. I never realized why until I read about it.

You can always ask CMs for a specific seating area. You may need to wait an extra cycle but they are usually accommodating.

Last edited:
That back row seat that stick sout into the aisle is THE WORST! It is furthest from the axes of motion so it makes sense. I never realized why until I read about it.

You can always ask CMs for a specific seating area. You may need to wait an extra cycle but they are usually accommodating.
My mom uses and ECV so when we ride we usually get front row! Never had an issue anywhere sitting on star tours oddly enough,

Now slinky dog dash…….then again as I mentioned earlier I had eaten lunch roughly about an hour prior and it might’ve been that.

I am a total ride coward. I do no like roller coasters, rides that are very fast or feel very fast, and rides that take place in near total darkness (I'm fine with the Fantasyland type dark rides, because they is quite a bit of light and you never feel as though you are in near pitch black darkness). My limit is Radiator Springs Racers at DL/DCA and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey at Universal Orlando

Some of the Rides that I Will Not Go On:
Incredicoaster
Guardians of the Galaxy (but I will do the line/preshow because that's fun, and you can tell them after the preshow you don't want to ride and they will send you out a different exit)
Indiana Jones
Space Mountain
Matterhorn
Splash Mountain
Big Thunder Mountain
Grizzly River Run
Pixar-Pal-Around (new name for Mickey's Fun Wheel)

I generally find Matterhorn to be terrible. But this time we rode fantasyland side. I plant my feet, hold on to the bar in front, and don’t sit back. It wasn’t too bad. I definitely didn’t ride again though.

That back row seat that stick sout into the aisle is THE WORST! It is furthest from the axes of motion so it makes sense. I never realized why until I read about it.

I currently have a shoulder injury and this is super helpful. I'm going to skip all coasters. This is super disappointing as Matterhorn is the only ride I haven't done as it was closed on our last visit. Also helpful to know I can sit center on star tours and ask for an aisle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter