Ride Count Comparison Between DLR and WDW

HydroGuy

A Pirate's Life For Me
Note: Updated February 2020 as rides are being added and removed from both resorts

In another thread going on right now there has been discussion of how many rides are at DLR and WDW. I have a list that I keep and mentioned that, and several asked to see the list. So here it is.

Before I start, please allow me to state some caveats.

1. I am not trying to say anything good or bad about either resort - or that either one is better or worse than the other. Mostly I want to convey that DLR has more rides per park than WDW does to shed some light on the "DLR is so much smaller" mindset of many WDW vets.

2. It is hard to say what exactly is a ride. Disney does not even have rides. They have "attractions". Frankly I do not consider a play area for kids a ride even though Disney calls them attractions. So those are out. Also things that are mostly advertisements are out. Pure movies or shows are out. But movies or shows that have an interactive element are in. Innoventions is not a ride. With that said, it is still hard to say what is a ride and what is not a ride. So my list is highly subjective and you are free to debate and disagree. I do not believe there is any one correct answer.

3. I included Monorail at DLR but not WDW because it is really more of a ride at DLR. It goes inside the park. At WDW it is purely another form of transportation like the boats.

So here goes...

WDW has 61 rides. DLR has 58 rides.

For some historical perspective, when I created this thread the ride count was fairly equal. WDW is ahead right now. Part of the reason is that Disneyland DCA just removed Bugs Land and all 5 rides it had (they are building a "Marvel Land" of some sort there).

Both resorts have new rides coming (balanced by closed rides which has reduced ride count for both resorts temporarily). WDW definitely has more rides in the queue than DLR. A few years from now WDW will pull farther ahead on ride count. For the last 15 years the two resorts have had fairly similar ride counts but as Disney invests for the future, WDW is getting more new rides than DLR so this balance in recent years will be shifting.

WDW MK (30)

1. Astro Orbiter
  2. Barnstormer
  3. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
  4. Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
  5. Carousel of Progress
  6. Country Bear Jamboree
  7. Dumbo The Flying Elephant
  8. Hall Of Presidents
  9. Haunted Mansion
  10. it's a small world
  11. Journey of the Little Mermaid
  12. Jungle Cruise
  13. Liberty Square Riverboat
  14. Mad Tea Party
  15. Magic Carpets of Aladdin
  16. Mickey's PhilharMagic
  17. Monsters Inc Laugh Factory
  18. Peter Pan's Flight
  19. Pirates of the Caribbean
  20. Prince Charming Regal Carrousel
  21. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
  22. Space Mountain
  23. Splash Mountain
  24. Swiss Family Treehouse
  25. Tiki Room
  26. Tom Sawyer Island
  27. Tomorrowland Speedway
  28. Tomorrowland Transit Authority
  29. Walt Disney World Railroad
  30. Winnie the Pooh
  31. Tron - opening in 2021

WDW Epcot (11 + 1 coming in 2020)

1. American Adventure
  2. Frozen Ever After
  3. Gran Fiesta Tour
  4. Journey Into Imagination With Figment
  5. Living with the Land
  6. Mission: SPACE
  7. Seas with Nemo and Friends
  8. Soarin' Over the World
  9. Spaceship Earth
  10. Test Track
  11. Turtle Talk with Crush
  12. Ratatouille - opening 2020
  13. Guardians of the Galaxy - opening 2021

WDW Hollywood Studios (9 + 1 coming in 2020)

1. Alien Swirling Saucers
  2. Millenium Falcon: Smugglers Run
  3. Muppet Vision 3-D
  4. Rise of the Resistance
  5. Rock 'n' Roller Coaster
  6. Slinky Dog Dash
  7. Star Tours
  8. Toy Story Mania
  9. Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
  10. Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway - opening in 2020

WDW Animal Kingdom (11)

1. DINOSAUR
  2. Expedition Everest
  3. Flight of Passage
  4. It's Tough to be a Bug!
  5. Kali River Rapids
  6. Kilimanjaro Safaris
  7. Maharajah Jungle Trek
  8. Na'vi River Journey
  9. Pangani Forest Exploration Trail
  10. Primeval Whirl
  11. TriceraTop Spin

DLR Disneyland park (38)

1. Abe Lincoln - Great Moments
  2. Alice in Wonderland
  3. Astro Orbitor
  4. Autopia
  5. Big Thunder Mtn RR
  6. Buzz Lightyear
  7. Casey Jr. Train
  8. Davy Crockett's Canoes
  9. Disneyland Railroad
  10. Dumbo
  11. Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
  12. Gadget's Go Coaster
  13. Haunted Mansion
  14. Indiana Jones
  15. it's a small world
  16. Jungle Cruise
  17. King Arthur Carrousel
  18. Mad Tea Party
  19. Mark Twain
  20. Matterhorn
  21. Millenium Falcon: Smugglers Run
  22. Monorail
  23. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
  24. Peter Pan
  25. Pinocchio
  26. Pirates Lair on Tom Sawyer Island
  27. Pirates of the Caribbean
  28. Rise of the Resistance
  29. Roger Rabbit
  30. Sailing Ship Columbia
  31. Snow White
  32. Space Mountain
  33. Splash Mountain
  34. Star Tours
  35. Storybook Land Canal Boats
  36. Tarzan's Treehouse
  37. Tiki Room
  38. Winnie the Pooh
  39. Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway - opening in 2022

DLR California Adventure (20 + 1 coming in 2020 - note Disney removed the entire Bugs Land which had 5 rides to make way for the new Spiderman ride - so the DCA ride count went way down in late 2018)

1. Golden Zephyr
  2. Goofy's Sky School
  3. Grizzly River Run
  4. Incredicoaster (formerly California Screamin')
  5. Inside Out
  6. Jessie's Critter Carousel
  7. Jumpin' Jellyfish
  8. Little Mermaid
  9. Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters
  10. Mater's Junkyard Jamboree
  11. Monsters Inc
  12. Philharmagic
  13. Pixar Pal-A-Round
  14. Radiator Springs Racers
  15. Red Car Trolley
  16. Silly Symphony Swings
  17. Soarin' Over the World
  18. Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout
  19. Toy Story Mania
  20. Turtle Talk With Crush
  21. Spider-Man Slingshot - opening in 2020

:wizard:

Last edited:
This is awesome. Thank you so much for the comparison. It does show what's there for those of us not as familiar with one or the other.

Cool list - thanks!

First off the cuff thing I'd mention: If Country Bears, Hall of Pres and Abe are rides, I'd include the stunt shows at HS. But personally, I don't think any of them are "rides", per se.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic....but are the two Star Tours fairly similar. I don't care for the one at HS and can bypass the one at DLR if they are even remotely alike

Sorry if this is a bit off topic....but are the two Star Tours fairly similar. I don't care for the one at HS and can bypass the one at DLR if they are even remotely alike

Yes.

Here are the rides which are identical:

• Star Tours (DL/DHS)
  • Toy Story Midway Mania (DCA/DHS - much better queue and pre-ride experience at DHS)
  • It's Tough To Be a Bug (DCA/AK)
  • Little Mermaid (DCA/MK - much better queue and pre-ride experience at MK)
  • Soarin (DCA/Epcot - although the queue and pre-ride experience at DCA gives the ride a whole different - and better - feel than at Epcot)

Yes.

Here are the rides which are identical:

• Star Tours (DL/DHS)
  • Toy Story Midway Mania (DCA/DHS - much better queue and pre-ride experience at DHS)
  • It's Tough To Be a Bug (DCA/AK)
  • Little Mermaid (DCA/MK - much better queue and pre-ride experience at MK)
  • Soarin (DCA/Epcot - although the queue and pre-ride experience at DCA gives the ride a whole different - and better - feel than at Epcot)

4 more that could possibly added to this list are Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain and Tower of Terror.

Although slightly different on the outside, I seem to recall the same patterns on the inside for each of these rides. I know Space and Splash have different ride vehicles, but other than this difference; they seem pretty similar to me as far as the ride itself.

4 more that could possibly added to this list are Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain and Tower of Terror.

Although slightly different on the outside, I seem to recall the same patterns on the inside for each of these rides. I know Space and Splash have different ride vehicles, but other than this difference; they seem pretty similar to me as far as the ride itself.

Similar but nowhere near being identical. There are many similar rides between WDW and DLR.

HydroGuy said:
Similar but nowhere near being identical. There are many similar rides between WDW and DLR.

Point out how they're not identical. I can't think of any differences.

To start, Space Mountain is an entirely different track, and MUCH smoother at Disneyland.
Tower of Terror at DCA does *not* move forward before it does it's drop sequence.
As for Haunted Mansion, the MK version has the ghost footprint staircase room. Also, in Disneyland, you are in line for the moving busts and changing pictures, while at MK you are already on the ride for those parts and they are different!

Andrea

Interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Based on your definition of needing an interactive element and the inclusion of things like Captain EO, Country Bears, Hall of Presidents, Muppets and Abe Lincoln, I think Enchanted Tales with Belle at MK at WDW probably deserves to be on the list. I wouldn't call it just a show. There is the workshop, Magic Mirror, Interactive Wardrobe, Interactive Lumiere, and the kids participate in a play. I think it is an interactive "attraction" - it's not really a meet and greet, not really a show.

Should Muppet Vision 3-D be on the identical list- aren't they the same?

We love both places!

Space Mountain at MK is probably more similar to the Matterhorn than Space Mountain in DL. lol Same ride vehicle, two tracks, and super bumpy!

Tower of Terror at DHS has the hallway scene where the vehicles load into the shaft. It has more of a track-like sequence for its vehicles for the purpose of loading and unloading. I believe it has four loading zones with each pair sharing one of the two elevator shafts. The DCA version has three shafts and six loading zones, three on the ground floor and three above. The vehicle only moves back before the ride begins and unloads in the same area as the loading. Because of this there is no hallway scene. Supposedly the DCA version doesn't have the random drop sequencer. From my experience I think this is true.

Splash Mountain at MK has more animatronics but overall the differences are within the varying scenes. The story is similar. Different ride vehicle as well. Seats 8 as opposed to DLs 6-7.

I wouldn't even call Space Mountain similar between Magic Kingdom and Disneyland. Different track. Different layout. Different trains. Different effects and effects technology. Different soundtracks. Different soundtrack technology. Completely different on-ride experience. To me, the only similarity is that they're in the dark. I love them both, but they're pretty much completely separate rides.

Thanks for the list, this is great. I am going to print it out to see just what we have done at WDW and what we need to do at DL.

Linda

If you were a WDW oldie and really only spending one day at each DL park and its your first time, which DL attractions we you say were "must do's"?

If you were a WDW oldie and really only spending one day at each DL park and its your first time, which DL attractions we you say were "must do's"?
That would be us. :wave:

In DL; Indiana Jones, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Small World (yes, Small World, its a bit different), ride the Mark Twain, Great Moments with Mr Lincoln.
In DCA: Radiator Springs Racers, walk through all of CarsLand - then do it again at night, Grizzly River Rapids, ToT (a bit different from DHS), Aladdin Stage show,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter