Ride chicken looking for advice on rides

thegameksk

Earning My Ears
I am a ride chicken. I hate the stomach drop feeling. I went to Disneyland and rode on the cars ride, BTM, and Pirates. Ive been to Disney world and rode on 7 dwarfs, and BTM. I had no issue with BTM. I loved it. 7 dwarfs on the big clime I was freaking out thinking it would be a straight drop. Luckily it was a curved drop so it was fine. I want to try some new ride. Does anyone have any advice on rides? I was considering )if I can be brave enough lol) trying space mountain and Slinky coaster. We will be going to the Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom for a day each. Thanks!

I guess space mountain is a double edged sword because it's dark and you can't really see anything? That can be good or awful

I am a ride chicken. I hate the stomach drop feeling. I went to Disneyland and rode on the cars ride, BTM, and Pirates. Ive been to Disney world and rode on 7 dwarfs, and BTM. I had no issue with BTM. I loved it. 7 dwarfs on the big clime I was freaking out thinking it would be a straight drop. Luckily it was a curved drop so it was fine. I want to try some new ride. Does anyone have any advice on rides? I was considering )if I can be brave enough lol) trying space mountain and Slinky coaster. We will be going to the Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom for a day each. Thanks!

I am the exact same way.... I refuse to do Splash Mountain, Rock N Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror and Expedition Everest. I can do Space Mountain and Slinky Dog Dash. Although I scream through the entire ride and yell at my kids for convincing me to ride them. ( I even told them during one ride that they were both out of my will...of course they think it is a riot). Both rides don't have the drastic drops that I don't like - more like lots of turns.

For the stomach drop feeling, Splash Mountain at Magic Kingdom and Expedition Everest at Animal Kingdom will be your worst, in my opinion. None of the other rides really give me that feeling or are really intense. Space Mountain is in the dark, but there aren't really big drops, just fast moving turns.

I hate the stomach drop feeling too - but I haven't had an issue on any other ride except ToT (nope, just nope). SDD is no more intense than BTMR so you should be fine (and it is open so you can see what is coming). Space will freak you out that drops are coming but there aren't any - side note: I can't do that one anymore as it is too rough for me and makes my back hurt but if that is not an issue go for it!. My best friend is a super coaster chicken and she loves Everest as well. Note that you go backwards for a time but all the drops are curved so you don't get the stomach drop.

Have you watched the you tube ride videos? Everyride is available for everypark even non Disney parks. They really helped my kids they knew what to expect

I did but with the dark parts cant tell how bad the drops are.

I hate the stomach drop feeling too - but I haven't had an issue on any other ride except ToT (nope, just nope). SDD is no more intense than BTMR so you should be fine (and it is open so you can see what is coming). Space will freak you out that drops are coming but there aren't any - side note: I can't do that one anymore as it is too rough for me and makes my back hurt but if that is not an issue go for it!. My best friend is a super coaster chicken and she loves Everest as well. Note that you go backwards for a time but all the drops are curved so you don't get the stomach drop.

How do the launches feel on SDD? Ive never been on a lunch coaster. Looking at the video for EE it looks terrifying lol. No thanks. Plus we want to try to do AK and then Hollywood. Wasnt able to get fastpasses for the Avatar rides and we arent staying on property so we will most likely only have time for the Avatar rides in AK.

I used to hate the stomach drop feeling as well. Someone once told me to employ a psychological trick to mentally lean into the drop, as if you're directing where the vehicle goes and you're trying to push your car to accelerate down the hill faster. It took me a little bit of time but now I really enjoy thrill rides. Expedition Everest is my favorite Disney coaster, whereas I used to hate the drop on even BTMRR. My mom even told me that I was upset as a kid at the drop on Pirates of the Caribbean! (In my defense, it was the Disneyland version.) I think the feeling that you're even slightly in control changes the feeling of the ride, as opposed to letting it do stuff to you. I don't know if I'm explaining it right, but it changed the way I experienced thrill rides entirely. It was well worth it!

I used to hate the stomach drop feeling as well. Someone once told me to employ a psychological trick to mentally lean into the drop, as if you're directing where the vehicle goes and you're trying to push your car to accelerate down the hill faster. It took me a little bit of time but now I really enjoy thrill rides. Expedition Everest is my favorite Disney coaster, whereas I used to hate the drop on even BTMRR. My mom even told me that I was upset as a kid at the drop on Pirates of the Caribbean! (In my defense, it was the Disneyland version.) I think the feeling that you're even slightly in control changes the feeling of the ride, as opposed to letting it do stuff to you. I don't know if I'm explaining it right, but it changed the way I experienced thrill rides entirely. It was well worth it!

I didn't know there was a drop in Pirates before I rode it the first time (I assumed a jump scare was coming). I'm glad I did it though. The courage to do rollercoasters still eludes me, but I will muster it up by the time Lightcycle Power Run opens. I might try Big Thunder this time.

I am also a ride chicken. I can do BTMRR, 7DMT, SDD and FoP. I can also do EE because, though it looks bad, the drop isn't very far. I do not like straight, long drops AT ALL! SDD is really smooth and the drops aren't very sudden. FoP drops, but it also curves and it feels more like you are flying than dropping. There is no way I will ever go on RnRC again or even attempt ToT. I also do not like Space Mountain at all. It's way too jerky. I go on it sometimes just to appease DS12, so, if you do end up trying it, just know, no matter what happens, if you count to 100 slowly, it will be over! (it's the only way I can get through it!)

To be safe, avoid Everest. The drop isn't awful, but it's probably one of the longer ones. I don't do ToT because of it, so yes, avoid that. I haven't had any issues on any of the rest - and I ride Everest and love it. Space Mountain is fast, but no major drops.

The launch on SDD isn’t too bad. It’s not like the launch on RNR plus it’s mid ride. Everest has a big drop plus the backwards part which kind of imitates going upside (at least that’s how it makes me feel.

Space mountain has the advantage of the darkness but I find it super jerky. There’s a lot of curves that kind of throw you around.

Former ride chicken! I had to be dragged on haunted mansion the first time I rode it. I got over it the second time I went to Disney as an adult...I made a decision to try everything and now I love all the rides! Expedition Everest is my favorite and Rockn roller coaster...I would encourage you to try splash...it is a very gentle ride with 2 slides...they are not really drops because of the angle. Barnstormer is another fun coaster.

I did but with the dark parts cant tell how bad the drops are.

How do the launches feel on SDD? Ive never been on a lunch coaster. Looking at the video for EE it looks terrifying lol. No thanks. Plus we want to try to do AK and then Hollywood. Wasnt able to get fastpasses for the Avatar rides and we arent staying on property so we will most likely only have time for the Avatar rides in AK.
The launches on SDD are mild - if you have ridden Test Track that is a MUCH faster launch.

If you don't like the "stomach drops", avoid Everest. I would skip Space Mountain, not big drops but in the dark and you can't see them coming.
Don't do RnRC or ToT.
SDD has one drop, if you sit in the front you don't notice it as much (I prefer the back instead). The launched part of SDD is slower and smooth unlike the powere of RnRC.
Skip Splash Mountain.

Everest makes me a little dizzy and space mountain/test track since I'm so tall 6'6" I can only ride in the front of each but other than that everything else is fair game!

My advice....just get on. I was a lot like the OP, scared of anything with a drop. See my post about Chicken Exits from fall of 2017. I think it started off my first visit to WDW when I was 8. Had no idea Pirates dropped, and in the dark. I was scared of every new ride since then wondering if it dropped. Even got nervous being suspended from the ceiling on Peter Pan. I've been to WDW a total of 8 times in my life. Time #8 I got up the courage to ride Splash. It was bad the first time. I was breathing so hard I didn't even notice the end scene with the Rabbit tied up at the top. But, I rode it 9 more times that trip and every single time was better. I even surprised myself (and my family) by riding Expedition Everest.

Fast forward to this year. My wife and son LOVE thrill rides. I decided I would finally try an upside down ride at Carowinds. Again, fear and heavy breathing going down that hill and approaching my first every loop. Since then, I've ridden every coaster at Carowinds, King's Island, Cedar Point, King's Dominion, and in a couple of months I'll have done them all at Six Flags Over Georgia. I'm 43 years old and had never ridden a real roller coaster. But when I started, realized they weren't so bad.

Now, I don't get the thrill and I rarely put my hands up like my wife and son, but I can pretty much tolerate them all. It all started with Splash. So, my advice is to just do it.

Last edited:
I guess I'm a major ride chicken. I hated space mountain.. cursed the whole way down. My ex husband got me on that ride. . Never again! He also got me on BTM ..I don't remember it being as bad as SM but i didn't ride it again.
I am hoping to try SDD and 7DMT next trip though. Being able to see what's in front of you is a major advantage. I'm am all for trying once and I know I never have to do it again if I don't want to.
I truly am a chicken and I have all of my fun on all the kiddie rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter