Reverse angle parking

This makes total sense and is in no way difficult. If you can't back into a parking space I don't trust your ability to maneuver a 2 ton weapon down the roads.

Two can play at this game. This makes total sense and is in no way difficult. If you can't back out of a parking space, I don't trust your ability to maneuver a 2 ton weapon down the roads.

More that, if you can't back a vehicle out of a parking spot, you have no business pulling into a parking spot hood first to begin with.

Two gan play a that game too. If you can't back a vehicle out of a parking spot, you have no business backing into a parking spot either.

The point of my post, was not to argue the other side. It was more along the lines of illustrating.

Last edited:

That and a few others who have basically said if you can't/won't back into a space, you don't have the skills to drive.

Again, there's a distinct difference between can't and won't. If you outright can't, no you don't have the skills to drive.

Driving skill has little to with your record per se, it’s more to do with your mechanical ability to drive (backing up, spatial awareness, not over correcting and understanding the basic physics behind a 2 ton automobile) it also had to do with your “driver IQ” which is simply how you handle the different scenerios as you drive.....There are people that have never been at fault with an accident and maybe don’t get tickets but do they tap their brakes unnecessarily, do they come to a 4 way stop sign and seemingly always clueless when it’s their turn, do they go too slow in the left lane???? Etc....

Driving skill has little to with your record per se, it’s more to do with your mechanical ability to drive (backing up, spatial awareness, not over correcting and understanding the basic physics behind a 2 ton automobile) it also had to do with your “driver IQ” which is simply how you handle the different scenerios as you drive.....There are people that have never been at fault with an accident and maybe don’t get tickets but do they tap their brakes unnecessarily, do they come to a 4 way stop sign and seemingly always clueless when it’s their turn, do they go too slow in the left lane???? Etc....
It does also work conversely as well though.

Do you tailgate people because you don't stop with enough space between you and the other car, do you adequately stop at a 4-way stop along with adhering to when two people come to a stop at the same time who should be going first, do you speed or drive aggressively in the left lane, etc.

Knowing how to drive a vehicle and do certain maneuvers does not equate to a good driver-it can make you an unsafe, aggressive driver too depending on how you use those skills. There's issues on both ends of the spectrum-those who don't know how and become unsafe because they don't and those who do know how and become unsafe depending on how they use said knowledge.

I disagree. Someone could be a excellent at backing out of a space but they speed, go thru red lights, stop signs, they text and drive. I don’t see how that one skill makes or breaks your driving ability.
My sister-in-law likes to back into spots though that was only started when she got a cadillac (I'm blanking on the model) and a manual one at that.

She however is not the best driver. She's had multiple accidents-including one where she had a boot on her foot driving in ice and ended up rolling her car totalling it and injuring herself and her friend (though not terribly), they did have to climb out of the sun roof, she's gotten multiple tickets including one she didn't pay and got her license suspended and drove too for a while with it suspended because she didn't get her mail from her mom's house (she was already in her 20s at that time too), she's had several minor incidents too which caused damage to her car (a few were not her fault but I would call her accident prone) and while she doesn't speed quite as badly as her father she does speed more than my husband and I do.

But hey at least she can back into a spot, right?

My sister-in-law likes to back into spots though that was only started when she got a cadillac (I'm blanking on the model) and a manual one at that.

She however is not the best driver. She's had multiple accidents-including one where she had a boot on her foot driving in ice and ended up rolling her car totalling it and injuring herself and her friend (though not terribly), they did have to climb out of the sun roof, she's gotten multiple tickets including one she didn't pay and got her license suspended and drove too for a while with it suspended because she didn't get her mail from her mom's house (she was already in her 20s at that time too), she's had several minor incidents too which caused damage to her car (a few were not her fault but I would call her accident prone) and while she doesn't speed quite as badly as her father she does speed more than my husband and I do.

:rotfl::rotfl:Since backing into a space is apparently the mark of a good driver, I guess she's good to go.

Nope she can back into a spot. She’s a great driver. :-)

We have angled parking recently set up on our Main St and I can't recall if it's reverse or forward facing.

I feel like the all-or-nothing thinking is getting a little out of hand. There's such a thing as being a "good enough" driver for the conditions under which you drive.

For instance, I don't feel comfortable driving in major cities...so I simply don't. It doesn't mean I shouldn't drive around my own town.

If someone else isn't comfortable backing into on-street reverse angled parking, I just expect them to not set themselves up for that. - But I have nothing against them driving to the grocery store and parking in a pull-through.

I feel like the all-or-nothing thinking is getting a little out of hand. There's such a thing as being a "good enough" driver for the conditions under which you drive.

For instance, I don't feel comfortable driving in major cities...so I simply don't. It doesn't mean I shouldn't drive around my own town.

If someone else isn't comfortable backing into on-street reverse angled parking, I just expect them to not set themselves up for that. - But I have nothing against them driving to the grocery store and parking in a pull-through.

Amen!!!

The reality:
According to the National Highway Safety Traffic Administration (NHTSA), there are at least 500,000 backing accidents of some type every year in the U.S. Of those half-million accidents, 15,000 include some type of injury and approximately 210 deaths – mostly children aged five and under (31% of all fatalities) and elderly people aged 70 and over (26%).1 Up to two children every week are killed in the U.S. by back over incidents.2 Sadly, most of these events (70%) occur with a parent or family member behind the wheel.2 Besides children and elderly people, some back over accidents also involve pets.

Backing is more dangerous than you may think.

As a pp already pointed out, this has no bearing in what we are discussing. Normal pull in, back out parking, reverse angle parking and parallel psrkipa ALL involve backing up.
Reverse angle parking is safer because it has people backing up into spaces that are the least likely to have a pedestrian, bike, other moving vehicle in them and the pulling forward when entering those other more high traffic (including bike and foot traffic) areas . Thus, you might cause some cosmetic damage, but you'll be far less likely to injure or kill someone.

Personally, I am not the best at tight spaces in a car. I know that about myself. So I buy cars with sensors and cameras and avoid parking garages that are very confining. I'll walk an extra km to park where I know I'm comfortable downtown.

Yes, here in my town at least. The police say they will start writing tickets after a 30 day grace period. The fine is only $35, though. Hardly worth the paperwork for them I imagine.

Here's a pic from our local paper - you can see how well people are following directions, lol.
5b15cdcec3778.image.jpg
I’ve never seen parking like that with a sign here. That’s interesting

As a pp already pointed out, this has no bearing in what we are discussing. Normal pull in, back out parking, reverse angle parking and parallel psrkipa ALL involve backing up.
Reverse angle parking is safer because it has people backing up into spaces that are the least likely to have a pedestrian, bike, other moving vehicle in them and the pulling forward when entering those other more high traffic (including bike and foot traffic) areas . Thus, you might cause some cosmetic damage, but you'll be far less likely to injure or kill someone.

Personally, I am not the best at tight spaces in a car. I know that about myself. So I buy cars with sensors and cameras and avoid parking garages that are very confining. I'll walk an extra km to park where I know I'm comfortable downtown.

Just wonder why reverse angle parking is so rare if it is safer?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter