• 50 or younger

Votes: 14 12.4%
  • 51-60

Votes: 43 38.1%
  • 61-70

Votes: 36 31.9%
  • 71 or older

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Other / I haven't retired yet (why are you answering? ;) )

Votes: 18 15.9%

• Total voters
I retired at the age of 50. However, I didn't want to retire from a job that I absolutely loved, being an RN.
I loved every minute of it.
I ended up with an auto immune disease and couldn't work. I tried cutting back to 3 x a week, then every other day, then on call, but I couldn't even be depended on for on call. It was all very depressing to lose your life's profession. Then we sold our resort as I couldn't help with that, even answering phones.
So, I've been retired a long time and it was the right thing to do. I have wonderful memories of wonderful patients and even the difficult working times in ICU. It was all worth it.
Now I am OK with it, but it took a while to get there.

Being married to your business partner certainly complicates things. Not that selling a business is easy even if the partner isn't a spouse.
My neighbor is 71 and owns a business with a partner. My neighbor was diagnosed with Stage Four cancer 6 years ago. He can't retire because his partner has no interest in buying him out nor has he found anyone else wanting to buy his share. And the business is providing both partners with a nice income each year. My neighbor's wife is 65 and retired a year and a half ago. But all those factors do make me wonder whether he really wants to retire.

My husband owns a business and has a business partner. The partner stepped back in a lot of ways and wants to sell his half but can’t find a buyer, although I don’t think he’s seriously looking for one. My husband is not ready to sell the business even though it stresses him out immensely. They also own the real estate too, so selling business plus real estate, we’d be set for life.

My husband owns a business and has a business partner. The partner stepped back in a lot of ways and wants to sell his half but can’t find a buyer, although I don’t think he’s seriously looking for one. My husband is not ready to sell the business even though it stresses him out immensely. They also own the real estate too, so selling business plus real estate, we’d be set for life.
None of my business. They seem to be doing fine, but the business predates his marriage so he has both a financial and emotional attachment to the business. His wife thinks he should just walk away.

My wife and I (we're both 50) have been discussing possibly retiring shortly. More specifically, my wife is likely to retire from her job in the next 6-12 months (she has to give 6 months notice) and I will likely do the same a short while later.

If you retired at a somewhat younger age, did you fully retire or did you do some sort of part time job or other work? My wife was offered a chance to work on a part time basis with our financial advisors and was considering that for a while, somewhat worried that without a lot of hobbies, she would be bored not doing something.

Just curious other's experience with this and any tips or advice as well. :)
I retired at 50- lasted about 6 months and once winter hit I was like "I gotta get a part time job"- I work at a charity that I have supported for years- couple hours a day and flexible if I want days off- I even took off 2 months to go on a road trip with no issue.

I retired at 50- lasted about 6 months and once winter hit I was like "I gotta get a part time job"- I work at a charity that I have supported for years- couple hours a day and flexible if I want days off- I even took off 2 months to go on a road trip with no issue.

I moved to Fl as soon as I retired at 52. Got a part time job 3 days a week. Everyone has to do what that they feel is the best choice for them. I buried 2 husbands in my 30’s. All the money in the world can’t make me happy.

I retired from the Air Force after 20 years. I had just turned 43. I then worked other government jobs until I hit 65. Now I’m fully retired and loving it. I’m grateful that my varied careers came with decent retirements and that I have good healthcare thru DOD and Medicare.

Retired at 65 as soon as Medicare kicked in. I enjoyed my job (35 years!) but some fundamental changes were happening so it turned out to be a perfect time to leave.

I just retired last year (teacher - my school was losing a position and as I am so old -74 - I didn't want one of the younger teachers to lose their position - I would otherwise have continued working for another year or 2), but now my income has been cut drastically (I only had 20 years in - was a SAHM and ubervolunteer - not the car service lol - while raising my son) and my retirement is worth even less than anticipated due to current inflation (no cost of living adjustment). So - I have lots of time but can no longer afford to do all the things I want to do. My focus right now is on getting rid of stuff so I can downsize, but I am so bored doing that day after day... Am trying to find some good volunteer activities that don't require a regular scheduled commitment (I want to stay flexible so I can be involved in my grandsons' lives). The massive price increases and add-ons for WDW and DLR will definitely cause me to cut back on Disney.

I just retired last year (teacher - my school was losing a position and as I am so old -74 - I didn't want one of the younger teachers to lose their position - I would otherwise have continued working for another year or 2), but now my income has been cut drastically (I only had 20 years in - was a SAHM and ubervolunteer - not the car service lol - while raising my son) and my retirement is worth even less than anticipated due to current inflation (no cost of living adjustment). So - I have lots of time but can no longer afford to do all the things I want to do. My focus right now is on getting rid of stuff so I can downsize, but I am so bored doing that day after day... Am trying to find some good volunteer activities that don't require a regular scheduled commitment (I want to stay flexible so I can be involved in my grandsons' lives). The massive price increases and add-ons for WDW and DLR will definitely cause me to cut back on Disney.
Are you able to substitute? I am a teacher in PA and know that every district (including my own) would be glad to have a qualified teacher as a substitute.

Our state retirement system doesn't let you sub for the first 6 months you are retired for some reason, so I wasn't eligible till December. Didn't want to start then with the holidays coming up - very busy plus a lot of Covid floating around school - so I waited until January to sign up - for my old school only. lol they had sooo many teachers out it the fall when I couldn't help and they couldn't find subs but everyone has been healthy so far this year (it's a small school). I'm just glad everyone is healthy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter