Restaurants that pleasantly surprised you

For me a few were really pleasant surprises that I was not expecting great things from.
  1. Jungle Navigation Co. Ltd. Skipper Canteen - All I can say about the service, atmosphere and food. WOW!
  2. Tiffins- This has become one of my favorite signatures and is now a must do every trip.
  3. Citricos- This was a last minute available ADR and while not a must do has become a repeat experience.
There have been a few greatly hyped places that have fallen short for me, but that is a post for another thread. :goodvibes
We want to try Citricos so bad especially with the Mary Poppins touches added! We already decided next trip we are doing it!

PizzaRizzo. No, seriously. I love The Muppets, so decided to check it out for the theming. Plus I’m vegetarian and was intrigued by the plant based option - Beyond sausage in a toasted bun with marinara sauce, peppers and onions. It was honestly one of the best quick service options I’ve ever had. Plus I sat in the Banquet room and the atmosphere was unexpectedly awesome, with blinking lights and cheesy wedding songs. I loved it. I think I ended up going back two more times during my two week trip in May and then went again in August.

For Table Service, I was hesitant to try Skipper Canteen and didn’t check it out right after it opened. Then I brought my gluten-free Mom with me and decided it would be her best bet at MK. We both loved it so much that we ended up booking it on our second MK day too, and now it‘s a must do for all of my solo trips. I finally convinced myself to try the falafel instead of the cheese bread and holy moly was it good. I’m going for a long weekend and one of the first things i did was book an ADR.
We also love the Muppets! If you hear someone belly laughing when Rizzo comes in dressed as Mickey Mouse during the preshow-that would be my dad! We have only ever stopped in for bathroom and drinks but we love it!

Teppan Edo. Didnt think Id love being seated with a random family or even love the food, but the food was SOOOO good even my picky picky picky picky daughter ate the chicken (nothing else, but from someone who barely touches any kind of meat this was HUGE). I got filet mignon and my husband got a combo of meats, dont remember which ones. The random family enjoyed their meal, as we did ours...no interaction or small talk needed!! We were all focused on the chef!
Oh this makes me happy to hear as we have a reservation for there on our upcoming trip!

For years I'd pass by the Yak & Yeti at AK and not give it much of a thought. I finally hit it up with a group of 10 of us a few years back and after a tall IPA and a Korean Beef bowl I was converted. Gotta go each trip.

I know 9 Dragoons gets a bad rap from many people----we have eaten dinner and lunch there and never had a bad meal --- maybe we are just lucky
Ive only been there once and loved it. 1000% better than any local chinese retaurant. But.....unfortunately I can get (not as good) chinese food where I live and having to pick only 8 - 10 places for dinner in all of Disney World, I tend to go to the places I cant find around here. Germany, France, Japan, Africa (Tusker House/Boma), Polynesian, etc.... There are plenty of Steakhouses/Chinese/Italian/Seafood/Pizza/Comfort-American food choices here so I avoid them on vacation when I can.

For me, it was Boatwrights. Really gets little fanfare or love, but I decided to give it a whirl, since it was available while on the trip and I figured "what the heck" since we were staying at French Quarter. Honestly, had a great meal, as good as if not better than anything I had on my trip. Good cajun/southern food to be had- excellent Jambalaya, Shrimp and Grits, Hot Fried chicken, cornbread.

Yes, its been closed since the whole Port Orleans resort shut down because of COVID (I was there just prior), but check it out whenever it opens again if a little "spice" is up your alley.

For me, it was Boatwrights. Really gets little fanfare or love, but I decided to give it a whirl, since it was available while on the trip and I figured "what the heck" since we were staying at French Quarter. Honestly, had a great meal, as good as if not better than anything I had on my trip. Good cajun/southern food to be had- excellent Jambalaya, Shrimp and Grits, Hot Fried chicken, cornbread.

Yes, its been closed since the whole Port Orleans resort shut down because of COVID (I was there just prior), but check it out whenever it opens again if a little "spice" is up your alley.
We have had both great and. meh food at Boatwrights but always had amazing service. Can't wait to hear all the trip reports from POR when it reopens

An oldie that is not there anymore, Kouzina sp? The reviews on here were not good, but the menu intrigued us and we went. One of our favorite meals of the trip. The food was good and the servers were awesome. My mom still talks about it and is mad it closed. That was about ten years ago.
Yes, Cat Cora's restaurant! Greek/Mediterranean cuisine - we loved it as well. We actually ate at Trattoria al Forno the other night and it was awful - we were reminiscing about Kouzzina while we choked down our over-priced Olive Garden level food.

An oldie that is not there anymore, Kouzina sp? The reviews on here were not good, but the menu intrigued us and we went. One of our favorite meals of the trip. The food was good and the servers were awesome. My mom still talks about it and is mad it closed. That was about ten years ago.
We LOVED kouzzina! It’s now trattoria al forno. It’s a shame too because the Mediterranean food was such a pleasant change it turned into yet another Italian restaurant.

Yes, Cat Cora's restaurant! Greek/Mediterranean cuisine - we loved it as well. We actually ate at Trattoria al Forno the other night and it was awful - we were reminiscing about Kouzzina while we choked down our over-priced Olive Garden level food.
That is sad to hear-I recommend trying the breakfast there it is fantastic!

Unpopular Opinion: CRT. We were going no matter what, but DH and I had majorly dialed down any hopes for a nice meal given how people always say that you go there for ambiance and princesses, not a good meal. We loved it. Tender meat, finely cooked veggies, a nice champagne for me, a fine beer for DH, smoothies for the kids. All that before I had the chocolate dessert that was the best chocolate anything I had the entire trip. It's not for everyone, I guess, but we enjoyed.

Mine would be Trattoria al Forno. I made reservations here before and canceled because of the bad reviews I’ve read. We stayed at BW in February and joined the walk up waitlist one morning. It was awesome! The service was fantastic and all of our meals were excellent! Definitely the best breakfast I’ve had on property. We had ordered takeout two more times since then. This was a surprising gem for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter