• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Resort suggestions : travelling with college-aged kids

peacefrogdog

DIS Veteran
Thinking about a trip with 3 college aged kids who will be old enough to roam around Disney on their own, but too young to be able to legally drink. The trip (probably at 1-2 years away, so hopefully post-COVID) would likely be just 1-2 days of theme parks (for which we would go together) and the rest doing non-park stuff. Less concerned about pool offerings or the actual sleep setup in the rooms.

Debating between:
1. SSR (preferred): kids can then walk easily to Disney Springs for food and other activities there, proximity to golf, all rooms will be reno'ed in the next few years
2. BWV : for accessibility to Boardwalk area, skyliner station

I found a similar post from 2015 but with all the changes that have taken place since, wondering whether opinions have changed or if anyone has other suggestions.

Normally I'd say BW so you can walk to DHS and EP, but you aren't spending a lot of time at parks so I guess SSR might be better for you.

SSR is probably the better choice. If you had AP's or were frequenting EPCOT I would have suggested BWV. Another fun area is a monorail resort which includes BRV and CCR with a short boat ride to MK/monorail.

Happy planning!

SSR since you’re not really doing parks. Can I just say I’m jealous? I dream of the day when my kids can roam around on their own.

Our kids have always loved SSR. They are now 22, 19, 16, and 12 and SSR is their favorite for access to Disney Springs, pools, etc.

If you were speaking about the near-ish future, SSR would be the top choice.
However, in 1-2 years, it's possible that the "old" BoardWalk will return, with kiosks (funnel cakes, hot dogs, etc) & more QS dining, nighttime shows (magicians, etc), carny games, surrey bike rentals, and a great "party" feel at night, with many offerings nearby.
Right now, there are a number of dining options (including at the Beach & Yacht Clubs, & Swan/Dolphin), Skyliner to visit other resorts, Fantasia Gardens regular & mini-golf, etc. SSR definitely has the edge now with DTD access, but i would wait until closer to your trip to see which suits you & your family best.

My kids #1 choice is BWV but mainly because they can enter Epcot / HS whenever they please.

SSR Preferred is #2, but moves to #1 for no / minimal parks.

Monorail resorts would be a good choice if you are going to specifically plan out ADRs and spend your time hitting all the best restaurants on the loop / at WL.

A split stay could be a good idea. SSR and either BWV or a monorail resort - maybe decision based on what your park and other choices are.

The best thing about SSR / DS is that no matter what you do during the day, you can end your nights there. Usually that age range doesn't like to be back in the room and in bed early.

I would say SSR now, but if all is opened up I would pick Beach Club or Boardwalk. Having the Boardwalk area to hang out around is really nice. There would be a lot more restaurants open. If planning on any pool time, Beach Club pool is great and there is also the volleyball court and beach area. They can still take the bus and/or Uber to downtown Disney.

I'd pick SSR for a non-park-oriented trip. Even at its busiest, the Boardwalk area never had that much that would keep late teens/early 20s folks entertained. Disney Springs has much more to keep them occupied. What's more, being on the doorstep of two theme parks you can't enter might be disappointing.

(Edited to fix an apostrophe catastrophe).

Last edited:
SSR because it has Murphy beds with real mattresses instead of the pull out couches at BWV, which adult children will greatly appreciate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter