Resort Choice Input

KatieBee14

Earning My Ears
Hi there!

My family and I are planning a trip to WDW for the end of January/beginning of February and are having trouble choosing a resort. The ones we are considering are:

CBR
PO-FQ
PO-R
AOA
Pop Century

We are definitely budget conscious but want to be comfortable since we will be staying for 8 nights. We can only afford a standard room so an AOA suite isn't in the budget unfortunately. We will have a rental car, so I'm not sure if we should be super concerned with transportation methods at the different resorts because I'm not sure if we are better to drive and park or take resort transportation. I know pools are often a big consideration, but we aren't planning any pool time as the weather can be unpredictable when we will be there, so having a cool pool doesn't matter to us at all. What of the above resorts would you recommend if you were a family of 4 with a 7 and 4 year old/had a rental car/pool didn't matter?

Thank you so much for your help! We are very new to this!

Hi there!

My family and I are planning a trip to WDW for the end of January/beginning of February and are having trouble choosing a resort. The ones we are considering are:

CBR
PO-FQ
PO-R
AOA
Pop Century

We are definitely budget conscious but want to be comfortable since we will be staying for 8 nights. We can only afford a standard room so an AOA suite isn't in the budget unfortunately. We will have a rental car, so I'm not sure if we should be super concerned with transportation methods at the different resorts because I'm not sure if we are better to drive and park or take resort transportation. I know pools are often a big consideration, but we aren't planning any pool time as the weather can be unpredictable when we will be there, so having a cool pool doesn't matter to us at all. What of the above resorts would you recommend if you were a family of 4 with a 7 and 4 year old/had a rental car/pool didn't matter?

Thank you so much for your help! We are very new to this!
What about staying offsite since you will have a car? You can get more space to spread out and some suite hotels even offer free breakfast. There aren't too many perks for staying onsite and the prices are insanely high. Unless Disney announces some kind of sweet discount or deal that you can only get by staying in one of their hotels, my vote is □ none of the above.

Personally, I would choose one of the Port Orleans resorts or Caribbean Beach. They are definitely a step up from Pop and AoA.

Caribbean Beach
-Pros: Skyliner access to 2 parks and the Boardwalk area restaurants and entertainment, close to Riviera and Pop/AoA for other food options, fun pool
- Cons: rooms are a little outdated (can't stand carpet in hotel rooms), and if you aren't into walking it then depending on where your room is you could have long jaunts to bus stops, the main pool and the lobby area

Port Orleans French Quarter
Pros: Small size, boat access to Disney Springs (if that returns- no announcement yet), great theming
Cons: rooms are small and older

I also love Riverside's grounds and theming, but it is a large resort as well.

If it were my trip, I would pick a Port Orleans resort IF the boats are back up and running to Disney Springs. Otherwise, I would choose Caribbean Beach and request a room close to the main pool/lobby or Skyliner.

I like Pop Century if you're looking for a shower/place to sleep.

CBR and PO-Riverside both have 5th sleepers as a bookable room type I believe, so the kids wouldn't have to bedshare.

POFQ is nice in that it is super small.

I'm not sure if I personally would book the little mermaid rooms at AOA unless I really wanted to.

I told my friend there's no such thing as a *bad* hotel at Disney, it's just that some hotels meet our needs/wants/desires better than others.

What about staying offsite since you will have a car? You can get more space to spread out and some suite hotels even offer free breakfast. There aren't too many perks for staying onsite and the prices are insanely high. Unless Disney announces some kind of sweet discount or deal that you can only get by staying in one of their hotels, my vote is □ none of the above.

Oh my gosh, I completely forgot to add off site as an option. Do you have any off site resorts that you recommend?

Get a Pop standard room. It will be the cheapest option from your list.
A moderate room isn't much bigger and will probably cost you roughly $100 more per night.

Oh my gosh, I completely forgot to add off site as an option. Do you have any off site resorts that you recommend?

I've stayed in Caribe Royale, got a good deal on hotwire. You might get more offsite recommendations in the Orlando Hotels board though.

I think any of the Bonnet Creek resorts are a great option if you have transportation. There's the Hilton Bonnet Creek, JW Marriot, Wyndham, and Waldorf. Part of the Wyndham resort is a timeshare, Club Wyndham, where you can get one, two, three, and four-bedroom condos. The prices there are pretty reasonable and you cannot beat the location, which is on property right next to Caribbean Beach. I'd price out Swan and Dolphin, too.

For onsite, I'd pick AoA, Pop, or one of the Port Orleans resorts. Though if you don't care about the pool or transportation, your best bet might be just to stick with a value resort for the experience of staying at a Disney resort. They all have queen beds now, but the rooms are quite small. If you plan on not spending a lot of time at the resort, I'm not sure that matters, though.

I've stayed in Caribe Royale, got a good deal on hotwire. You might get more offsite recommendations in the Orlando Hotels board though.
We stayed there last minute in Dec 2016 because it was a great price. Wow, we loved it. Thought we wouldn't like it much but we had an amazing stay. Easy access to the parks. Definitely recommend.

Definitely look at off site or Swan/Dolphin.

Caribe Royale, Hyatt Regency, Hilton Bonnet Creek, Wyndham Grand Resort, and others have good rates along with amazing pools, etc. Close to all of the action. A few of the Disney Springs hotels too - like Holiday Inn Disney Springs. All depends on what kind of place you are looking for. For 8 nights, I would go for Swan or Dolphin or any of the places I mentioned.

If you're just planning on sleeping and showering in the room and really want to be on-site, go for Pop - the room is the same size as the standard rooms at AoA. I probably wouldn't bother to upgrade to a moderate if you don't think you'll be doing any pool time, the rooms just don't get you that much more space. As others have said, definitely look into Swan/Dolphin - often they're about the same price as Pop, even after their resort and parking fees with larger rooms and the option to walk to two parks if you want. I haven't stayed at other off site hotels, but I would look into anything in Bonnet Creek or Disney Springs and you'll likely find better deals than anything on-site (and many will still have the early-entry benefit that you'll be able to get on-site).

With your own transportation, I would definitely look off-property for a better deal. You will get more for your money in almost every way. If you see a resort/price you like, check youtube for review videos of the resort and rooms. You'd be surprised how many vlogs are out there reviewing just about every Orlando resort.

It's not on your list but All Star Music, a value hotel, has recently refurbished family suites with 3 queen beds, 2 bathrooms, a kitchenette and a closed bedroom. I looked for your dates and they are a very reasonable rate, less expensive than the suites at AOA and around the cost of a regular room at a moderate hotel. Have a wonderful vacation wherever you choose to stay.

Last edited:
With kids that age, a kitchen and in-room laundry would come in handy. Since you’ll have a car, I’d also suggest an offsite timeshare or suite, especially Club Wyndham Bonnet Creek which is literally next door to CBR. You can get a 2 BR unit with 2 bathrooms, full kitchen, onsite activities like mini golf, and multiple onsite restaurants. More information HERE.

On-site I would go with Pop for affordability, food court and skyliner access to 2 parks.

off-site I would look at Floridays or Bonnet Creek (Wyndham) for more room or Hilton or Holiday Inn at Disney Springs for Disney perks and DS access

I'd stay on property if you can for all the Disney magic. I have stayed at all of the resorts on your list (most of them multiple times). Below is my order of preference. For nap time alone with little ones, you will appreciate the quiet that POFQ or POR will provide. I'd stay at all of these again except for CBR. Pick a room and don't look back :) You will have a magical time!

PO-FQ
PO-R
Pop Century
AOA
CBR

Also remember to account for the cost of parking the rental car at the resort and parking if you go to another resort. PO-R is $20 a day for overnight guests. I am an on-site person due to all the Disney conveniences and you can just step away from the world a the resorts.

Total Disney immersion is onsite only imho. Pofq sounds great for ur group, size, ages. Wherever you choose, Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter