Resort Change by Disney

I think that is what concerns me. I understand not opening resorts automatically reduces capacity resort-wide, but running DVC at 100% capacity (or even then adding the deluxe resort side of DVC and running at 100%) runs contrary to reducing capacity. I just can't imagine, for instance, BCV being at 100% starting June 22 and that resort being able to accommodate everyone for breakfast, for instance, with BC Marketplace. That's like running the resort during Christmas season - maybe I'm missing something here, but that doesn't sound like reduced capacity to me. I will be interested in seeing reports regarding resort operations once DVC starts re-opening on June 22.

As of right now, guests with check-in dates from June 5 - June 21 may call in to modify their dates to July 11 - December 31, 2020 to whatever is available in the DVC or Ft. W inventory for their new dates. They would need to pay any difference in price for the change.

Guests checking in between June 22 - July 4, have the option to cancel, modify to new dates (and pay the price difference) or keep their reservation for their dates and, in that case, WDW will move them, for free, to an available open resort (DVC or Ft. W), but the guest must take whatever move they are given, they will not have a choice in resorts.
Having a DVC booking at BW in mid-July, I have been keeping an eye on this. Wanting something that approximates a "normal" stay, I am glad to see that, unless you have a DVC reservation, that you will have to pay rack rate for any available rooms. I cannot imagine 100% capacity allowing for much use of the amenities of the resort (pools, community hall, gym, etc.). If the parks are a gamble, you need to have things for people to do.
While I do feel for those who have cash reservations, you do have a choice and can get your money back. I have already paid a handsome sum for my membership, albeit 20 years ago, and annual dues. I will lose 70 banked points if I cancel. All told, this amounts to about $2500. I wish I were given such a choice.

Wanting something that approximates a "normal" stay, I am glad to see that, unless you have a DVC reservation, that you will have to pay rack rate for any available rooms.

With them allowing cancelled guests before July 5 to upgrade at no charge if they keep their dates, I think it's likely if there are still closures after that date, they will extend that offer to those guests. It wouldn't make sense that they wouldn't. That said, they aren't going to book any resort to anywhere near capacity. I wouldn't expect anything approximating a normal stay for the first few months.

Last edited:
With them allowing cancelled guests before July 5 to upgrade at no charge if they keep their dates, I think it's likely if there are still closures after that date, they will extend that offer to those guests. It wouldn't make sense that they wouldn't. That said, they aren't going to book any resort to anywhere near capacity. I wouldn't expect anything aprroximating a normal stay for the first few months.
I don't agree. I think July 5th was chosen for a reason. I doubt you will see anything beyond DVC and Ft. Wilderness for the remainder of the summer. Not charging for the "upgrade" when there are no parks is smart. They get revenue where there was none, filling rooms for a resort that will be at VERY low capacity as DVC owners staying on this year's points won't go if the parks are closed as they have flexibility. So the "upgrade" gets you.. what? A room at a resort with limited resources. Not a great bargain. Assuming that Disney wants to test the parks before official opening, the get to do so for a week prior by using the DVC members willing to gamble and stay the 5th-10th without official park opening. They will absolutely have soft openings during this period, thus anyone willing to pay for a rack rate room at and DVC would be more than welcome to enjoy the soft openings.

I called. I got the email with confirm, modify, or cancel by June 12. I clicked modify and immediately regretted it thinking about 3 nights away from this house. 😀 So I called and they took care of it.
Thank you! We have a split stay at pop & riverside that week & got the email for pop & confirmed our reservation & it said they would reach out to us shortely! We just don’t know if we should call or just wait & see!

I am hoping they are just reaching out to guests week by week (note the June 12th deadline for this first wave). There is no way they could say ok... everyone who has a reservation in July go ahead and call in. It's already insanity I'm sure. Plus the situation is constantly evolving. I'm holding out hope if my resort isn't open by late July they will relocate me without charging me as long as I dont make any modifications.

Having a DVC booking at BW in mid-July, I have been keeping an eye on this. Wanting something that approximates a "normal" stay, I am glad to see that, unless you have a DVC reservation, that you will have to pay rack rate for any available rooms. I cannot imagine 100% capacity allowing for much use of the amenities of the resort (pools, community hall, gym, etc.). If the parks are a gamble, you need to have things for people to do.
While I do feel for those who have cash reservations, you do have a choice and can get your money back. I have already paid a handsome sum for my membership, albeit 20 years ago, and annual dues. I will lose 70 banked points if I cancel. All told, this amounts to about $2500. I wish I were given such a choice.
I’m watching this too with my 7/13 Poly points stay. I believe it was mentioned that Disney will limit restaurant capacity to comply with social distancing guidelines. If DVC resorts are going to packed to 100% capacity, with only 50% dining availability, that math just doesn’t add up. Unless, of course they’re planning on requiring folks to cook in their rooms. If so, I hope they’ll be up front about this because that is not many people’s vision of “vacation”.

(edited -sorry!)

I’m watching this too with my 7/13 Poly points stay. I believe it was mentioned that Disney will limit restaurant capacity to comply with social distancing guidelines. If DVC resorts are going to packed to 100% capacity, with only 50% dining availability, that math just doesn’t add up. Unless, of course they’re planning on requiring folks to cook in their rooms. If so, I hope they’ll be up front about this because that is not many people’s vision of “vacation”.

Don't we think they will probably open the deluxe sides of the resorts very close to July 11 though? Plus more restaurants etc? We like FQ and would love to stay there - sure some of the Deluxes would be great but I suspect most of us will get OKW or Satatoga. I am thankful we can cancel but we are going to roll the dice to see where we end up first.

I don't agree. I think July 5th was chosen for a reason. I doubt you will see anything beyond DVC and Ft. Wilderness for the remainder of the summer. Not charging for the "upgrade" when there are no parks is smart. They get revenue where there was none, filling rooms for a resort that will be at VERY low capacity as DVC owners staying on this year's points won't go if the parks are closed as they have flexibility. So the "upgrade" gets you.. what? A room at a resort with limited resources. Not a great bargain. Assuming that Disney wants to test the parks before official opening, the get to do so for a week prior by using the DVC members willing to gamble and stay the 5th-10th without official park opening. They will absolutely have soft openings during this period, thus anyone willing to pay for a rack rate room at and DVC would be more than welcome to enjoy the soft openings.

I wouldn't doubt that not everyone agrees. lol But, considering they are giving upgrades at no charge for stays that start on the 4th, there are probably quite a few people whose stays run them through any previews and even into opening- so really, they've already given upgrades at no charge for a time when the parks will be open. Time will tell.

I wouldn't doubt that not everyone agrees. lol But, considering they are giving upgrades at no charge for stays that start on the 4th, there are probably quite a few people whose stays run them through any previews and even into opening- so really, they've already given upgrades at no charge for a time when the parks will be open. Time will tell.
Sorry if the "I don't agree" sounded aggressive; wasn't my intent. 🙂 And, you're right, a lot of disagreement on these boards. I think that everyone is holding on to hope, thus the massive swings for the fences as it were. The number of people booking more than a week on a cash stay are probably very few, I would venture less than 5%, making those guests bridging the opening of all parks a real non-issue for Disney. Once the parks are open, Disney has no incentive to move people unless DVC bookings are down significantly. If that happens, then I can see Disney playing the "let's see who's paying the most for their deluxe/moderate, value" in that order so as to maximize revenue. I do think that the attached hotels (BWI, Beach/Yacht, Poly, GF, Contemporary, WL, etc.) which all command top dollar will be the next phase to open, as that would make both fiscal and operational sense. I just don't see Disney "giving away" vacations. It would be awesome if everyone who booked was able to go, but it is just not realistic.✌

Last edited:
I am hoping they are just reaching out to guests week by week (note the June 12th deadline for this first wave). There is no way they could say ok... everyone who has a reservation in July go ahead and call in. It's already insanity I'm sure. Plus the situation is constantly evolving. I'm holding out hope if my resort isn't open by late July they will relocate me without charging me as long as I dont make any modifications.
They are not. This is official and covers almost 2 weeks of guests this time for reservations 6/22-7/4. It might be insanity but nothing their call centers haven't done before. Ever call in on opening day for F&W events? A couple hours on hold, tales of disconnects and random people being given complete misinformation... It's just like the good old days!

As far as the second item, you couldn't make a modification right now if you wanted to, your dates aren't in the windows they are working with. I too hope they will relocate folks instead of cancelling them (I think that they are doing that right now might signal they'll move you too if necessary). Under no circumstances will Disney relocate and charge you without your permission or notification. If they say pay the price difference for your new resort if you want to stay with us you have the right to cancel your stay.

I really believe anyone with an existing reservation after June 22 who does not move off of there dates will be safe, now you may end up in a room or resort that you don’t like but they have set a precedent that they are relocating and not canceling. Another piece of evidence that hints at this is the language of resort guest are not guaranteed a park reservation this tells me that they will have the rooms but maybe not the Capacity for all, and its a nice exchange to get to be at a deluxe resort if you can’t get a theme park

Don't we think they will probably open the deluxe sides of the resorts very close to July 11 though? Plus more restaurants etc? We like FQ and would love to stay there - sure some of the Deluxes would be great but I suspect most of us will get OKW or Satatoga. I am thankful we can cancel but we are going to roll the dice to see where we end up first.
Personally I do not. Maybe some by the end of the month or August as they ramp park capacity.

I really believe anyone with an existing reservation after June 22 who does not move off of there dates will be safe, now you may end up in a room or resort that you don’t like but they have set a precedent that they are relocating and not canceling. Another piece of evidence that hints at this is the language of resort guest are not guaranteed a park reservation this tells me that they will have the rooms but maybe not the Capacity for all, and its a nice exchange to get to be at a deluxe resort if you can’t get a theme park
Unless you are plopped at BCV with only their tiny leisure pool because their feature pool (stormalong bay) is closed. For a summer stay where pooltime will be key, I'd consider that a downgrade from most moderates, which have feature pools.

Yeah... very few people are gonna care if you give their family a two bedroom suite if they can't get to a disney park. Gonna go out on a limb here and say most everyone in America has had enough cooped up family time at this point :scared:

Yeah... very few people are gonna care if you give their family a two bedroom suite if they can't get to a disney park. Gonna go out on a limb here and say most everyone in America has had enough cooped up family time at this point :scared:

True the point I’m making is there are some who are wondering if Disney can fulfil all the previous reservations I’m trying to say yes they will

Strangely, my family has been doing pretty good. It's just my husband, son (14), and I. Hubby and I are still working from home, and son had online school and now online programming. Even though we are in Texas, we aren't going out that much. I actually went out twice this week for groceries and new slacking around the house comfy shorts from Academy:eek: I think we are kind of used to being only children and having a lot of work to do at home helps. I think things are actually going better. Not being in the office and being able to exercise almost everyday has reduced my stress a lot.

True the point I’m making is there are some who are wondering if Disney can fulfil all the previous reservations I’m trying to say yes they will

I don't know if they can/will. I think it just depends upon how many people really want to come and how many will/have canceled on their own. I just can't judge that number realistically. Because these boards aren't really realistic.

I called this morning and the cast member told me that my reservation was slated to be canceled anyway so not to make a payment. My check in day is July 9 and I found that a bit concerning. I know things are constantly changing but he said guests only through July 4 are being transferred. I told him that I was hoping mine will get transferred as well but he did not say anything back. Not sure if the offer will end after for dates after July 4 or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter