Rescheduling DVC due to COVID

Sounds like they might have taken undeclared RIV inventory and moved it to DVC do you could use the points. If so that's a great outcome all things considered.

I hate split stays but a room at a different resort is better than no room at all.

Sounds like they might have taken undeclared RIV inventory and moved it to DVC do you could use the points. If so that's a great outcome all things considered.

I hate split stays but a room at a different resort is better than no room at all.
I agree - this is the 3rd time OP has had to modify plans per the original post, so it’s great that DVC enabled them to find a solution on 48 hours notice.
If I understand the scenario correctly OP is able to stay at the same resort - Riviera - they’re just moving for the last 2 nights to a different size villa. Personally if the move is from a studio to a 1 br. I’d be excited about getting to try out a bigger villa.
In any case, I hope third time’s a charm & OP has a happy & healthy stay at the Riviera next week.

I agree - this is the 3rd time OP has had to modify plans per the original post, so it’s great that DVC enabled them to find a solution on 48 hours notice.
If I understand the scenario correctly OP is able to stay at the same resort - Riviera - they’re just moving for the last 2 nights to a different size villa. Personally if the move is from a studio to a 1 br. I’d be excited about getting to try out a bigger villa.
In any case, I hope third time’s a charm & OP has a happy & healthy stay at the Riviera next week.

Yes -- This is all good news but my rescheduling caused no distress for Disney/DVC/etc. I should not have had to beg and spend hours trying to make a minor change when clearly they had inventory. Or, is someone going to show up last minute for a Monday room at rake rate?

Yes -- This is all good news but my rescheduling caused no distress for Disney/DVC/etc. I should not have had to beg and spend hours trying to make a minor change when clearly they had inventory. Or, is someone going to show up last minute for a Monday room at rake rate?

Remember though, inventory not reserved within 60 days is given to them to sell for breakage.

More likely though you were given a room from the developers side which isn’t part of what has been declared for owners.

So happy they figured out how to help you!

We purchased DVC April 2021 and cancelled 2 trips due to may wife's gallbladder surgery and COVID. We are scheduled for Riviera on Friday for 9 days (Used 200 points from UY 2020 and 4 from UY 2021) but I am just getting over COVID and my wife is starting to see symptoms (Test is negative so far but she sees a 'faint' line on the home test... But, the boss is always right). We have a few options:

1) Fly out early next week and lose time -- Do I have to eat those points?
2) Reschedule but Riviera is completely booked ALL summer -- Should I beg DVC and explain I still haven't used Welcome Home?

I am trying to think of options but I can't simply lift and shift a few weeks EVEN if it was available as dining wouldn't be available for the kids.

A faint line on a home test is positive, so not sure why you are saying it is "negative so far". If it's negative there'd be no line at all.

Remember though, inventory not reserved within 60 days is given to them to sell for breakage.

More likely though you were given a room from the developers side which isn’t part of what has been declared for owners.

So happy they figured out how to help you!

Please explain this a bit more?

A faint line on a home test is positive, so not sure why you are saying it is "negative so far". If it's negative there'd be no line at all.

*I* don't see a line and neither does my doctor buddy. She says she does. I'll defer to the doctor -- She is negative. IF it's faint and slowly building up to a real line? But, it's been 3 days.

Please explain this a bit more?

Our contracts allow any rooms not booked by owners 60 days out to be rented for cash. It is called breakage inventory and we get some of that as a credit in our dues. Every resort hits the maximum amount...2.5%. Any additional money goes to DVC and IIRC, to BVTC as well.

DVC has the ability to anticipate what rooms might still be there and pull them early based on that as well. They obviously don't pull all inventory or we would never see any rooms, and holding points are restricted to bookings 60 days or less so that is another reason you see things still there. But, DVC is the one who decides what is or is not taken. We all agree to this aspect as part of the contract.

We have heard that sometimes, they can "pull back" a room that is sitting there for cash, if it was indeed part of breakage income (not if it is a trade or was booked using DVD points).

When DVD offers new buyers a welcome home visit, it is either from rooms they booked using their own points, or in the case of resorts that are in active sales, like RIV, they use rooms not yet declared into the condo association for owners to book. Until those rooms are declared, they belong to DVD to sell for cash. It is why they are able to get new owners rooms when it doesn't show on the website...because they belong to DVD still. RIV is about 50% declared, which means on any given day, only 50% of the rooms can be booked using owner's points.

What most likely happened in your case, is that DVD is letting you have one of their rooms to make this shift happen...if it was normal inventory available to owners, it would have been on the website.

Our contracts allow any rooms not booked by owners 60 days out to be rented for cash. It is called breakage inventory and we get some of that as a credit in our dues. Every resort hits the maximum amount...2.5%. Any additional money goes to DVC and IIRC, to BVTC as well.

DVC has the ability to anticipate what rooms might still be there and pull them early based on that as well. They obviously don't pull all inventory or we would never see any rooms, and holding points are restricted to bookings 60 days or less so that is another reason you see things still there. But, DVC is the one who decides what is or is not taken. We all agree to this aspect as part of the contract.

We have heard that sometimes, they can "pull back" a room that is sitting there for cash, if it was indeed part of breakage income (not if it is a trade or was booked using DVD points).

When DVD offers new buyers a welcome home visit, it is either from rooms they booked using their own points, or in the case of resorts that are in active sales, like RIV, they use rooms not yet declared into the condo association for owners to book. Until those rooms are declared, they belong to DVD to sell for cash. It is why they are able to get new owners rooms when it doesn't show on the website...because they belong to DVD still. RIV is about 50% declared, which means on any given day, only 50% of the rooms can be booked using owner's points.

What most likely happened in your case, is that DVD is letting you have one of their rooms to make this shift happen...if it was normal inventory available to owners, it would have been on the website.
Does this mean as RIV is sold out to DVC, more inventory will become available to the other owners?

And, my experience also proves that pushing works. They say "none available" but they are fibbing. :)

Does this mean as RIV is sold out to DVC, more inventory will become available to the other owners?

And, my experience also proves that pushing works. They say "none available" but they are fibbing. :)

Yes, more declaration, means more rooms.

They gave you a room they own, one DVC owners are not yet entitled to book so there was no "fibbing" involved. It was DVC giving you some really nice pixiedust that wasn't required.

No symptoms. All is good so far. I am keeping my youngest out of day care tomorrow and the oldest has 1 more day to go with school and then 100% hermit. No activities. :)
ok great. So she's not even sick? LOL I wouldn't even think about it. Have fun!

Although once sold out there will be more inventory available for DVC owners to book - 98% v. the 53.5% currently declared - there will also be more owners, so competition for the villas won’t improve & might actually be tougher.
DVC made an exception for you, likely because you are a direct points buyer who has not yet used those points you bought, think of it more like an upgrade if you had a cash booking, they were able to do so because the resort is still in active sales & the developer owned inventory was not already booked by cash guests or other new buyer’s needing assistance w/ booking their first visit. The fact that they could only offer you a 1 br. which is the last villa size to book at every DVC resort tells you that they don’t have much inventory to play with.

Last edited:
Although once sold out there will be more inventory available for DVC owners to book - 98% v. the 53.5% currently declared - there will also be more owners, so competition for the villas won’t improve & might actually be tougher.
DVC made an exception for you, likely because you are a direct points buyer who has not yet used those points you bought, think of it more like an upgrade if you had a cash booking, they were able to do so because the resort is still in active sales & the developer owned inventory was not already booked by cash guests or other new buyer’s needing assistance w/ booking their first visit. The fact that they could only offer you a 1 br. which is the last villa size to book at every DVC resort tells you that they don’t have much inventory to play with.

Eh. Mickey lies. They said they had "no inventory -- fully booked". And, suddenly, they had a room.

Eh. Mickey lies. They said they had "no inventory -- fully booked". And, suddenly, they had a room.

No inventory means for points based bookings. What they did is give you a room that belongs to them, not part of the DVC points inventory (and something they were under no obligation to do)

I really hope you are joking about these comments, because if not, that is disappointing.

No inventory means for points based bookings. What they did is give you a room that belongs to them, not part of the DVC points inventory (and something they were under no obligation to do)

I really hope you are joking about these comments, because if not, that is disappointing.

Mickey lies was more of a tongue-n-cheek but I get more BS from cast members these days. A few weeks ago, a CM told me that "Magic Bands are delivered and held in storage w/in 2 hours of your house and delivered at the last minute to make sure they are not lost". 100% true story. Insane.

Maybe I am DVC bias but when you have customers paying THOUSANDS of dollars, asking for an AVAILABLE room (either under DVC or otherwise) should not have required multiple rooms, begging, etc. I'd actually argue that by swapping my reserved Friday/Sat/Sunday Deluxe Studio is better for them as it is much more preferred over a Monday 1BR but that's debatable. As I told them: "Please don't expect me to believe that you don't have a room available Monday -- I know you do and this will allow me to keep my vacation." Furthermore, this is WHY Disney can charge the EXTREME prices because they do (or at least USED to!) and SHOULD do these types of "favors" for their people.

Apologies if that ruffles some feathers but I expect these types of things from Disney -- as should all of you.

Mickey lies was more of a tongue-n-cheek but I get more BS from cast members these days. A few weeks ago, a CM told me that "Magic Bands are delivered and held in storage w/in 2 hours of your house and delivered at the last minute to make sure they are not lost". 100% true story. Insane.

Maybe I am DVC bias but when you have customers paying THOUSANDS of dollars, asking for an AVAILABLE room (either under DVC or otherwise) should not have required multiple rooms, begging, etc. I'd actually argue that by swapping my reserved Friday/Sat/Sunday Deluxe Studio is better for them as it is much more preferred over a Monday 1BR but that's debatable. As I told them: "Please don't expect me to believe that you don't have a room available Monday -- I know you do and this will allow me to keep my vacation." Furthermore, this is WHY Disney can charge the EXTREME prices because they do (or at least USED to!) and SHOULD do these types of "favors" for their people.

Apologies if that ruffles some feathers but I expect these types of things from Disney -- as should all of you.

You did spend thousands of dollars on DVC and that means you are entitled to DVC inventory that is part of the system, not Disney owned rooms that are not, which right now, includes half of the rooms at RIV. So, its not expecting more from DVC, its understanding how the system works now that you are a timeshare owner.

There are only X amount of rooms in the DVC system that we, as owners, are entitled to book with points. There will be plenty of times you will see DVC rooms for cash and find DVC has no rooms. We have no right to demand access to those rooms because they are there as part of breakage, Disney booking them as an owner of points, or because another owner asked to trade DVC points for other options. All things we need to understand (and agree to) when we buy.

It is also not about ruffling feathers but rather to help new owners, like yourself, understand how it all works and to recognize that you are not dealing with Disney anymore like you did as a cash guest.

Again, they are under no obligation to give owners rooms still there that are not eligible to be booked with points and what is disappointing is that you believe you were entitled to it vs. understanding they made a big exception to give you a room that was otherwise not available to owners.

Last edited:
You did spend thousands of dollars on DVC and that means you are entitled to DVC inventory that is part of the system, not Disney owned rooms that are not, which right now, includes half of the rooms at RIV. So, its not expecting more from DVC, its understanding how the system works now that you are a timeshare owner.

There are only X amount of rooms in the DVC system that we, as owners, are entitled to book with points. There will be plenty of times you will see DVC rooms for cash and find DVC has no rooms. We have no right to demand access to those rooms because they are there as part of breakage, Disney booking them as an owner of points, or because another owner asked to trade DVC points for other options. All things we need to understand (and agree to) when we buy.

It is also not about ruffling feathers but rather to help new owners, like yourself, understand how it all works and to recognize that you are not dealing with Disney anymore like you did as a cash guest.

Again, they are under no obligation to give owners rooms still there that are not eligible to be booked with points and what is disappointing is that you believe you were entitled to it vs. understanding they made a big exception to give you a room that was otherwise not available to owners.

First, I appreciate all of the help/advice. Second, yes, I don't refute the above and glad that I understand the system. I just don't believe given it's a few days out and a swap was made that it caused DVC/Disney/etc. any issue to make a change that greatly helped me. That's all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter