Resale Owners going forward

BcIcemen

DIS Veteran
I am a little confused. So as a resale owner already will I be able to book the 14 DVC resorts as of today. I will not be able to book any new resorts that may open up(Riviera and the Fort Wilderness Resort). Is that correct? TIA

I am a little confused. So as a resale owner already will I be able to book the 14 DVC resorts as of today. I will not be able to book any new resorts that may open up(Riviera and the Fort Wilderness Resort). Is that correct? TIA
Ok, others have answered!

Last edited:

I don't think that's correct.

See this from a site:
Any contracts submitted to Disney for right of first refusal (ROFR) prior to January 19, 2019, will be “grandfathered” in. Meaning, if you purchase a resale contract and it is submitted to Disney prior to January 19, 2019, that contract can be used at all original 14 resorts as well as Riviera, Reflections and future resorts.

https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/blog/new-dvc-resale-restrictions-and-who-is-most-impacted/

Basically you only get the restrictions if you purchase AFTER 1/19/19.

No, that's not correct.

Since you are a current owner you will be grandfathered in and will be able to book the new resorts as well as the existing resorts. Any new resale purchased starting Jan 19th will not be able to book the new resorts but will still be able to book the existing 14 resorts.

Direct ==> book anywhere.

Resale bought prior to Jan 19th, 2019 ==> book anywhere.

Resale bought after Jan 19th, 2019 at classic 14 resort ==> book only at classic 14 resorts.

Resale bought after Jan 19th, 2019 at Riviera ==> book at only Riviera or it might be any new resort after Riviera as well, at this point it isn't clear, but I am betting it will be Riviera only.

Resale Riviera owners will be screwed with very limited availability if they can't trade out anywhere. Direct purchasers of Riviera had better hold it for 50 years cause their resale value will be horrible.

Doug EMG, that's it in a nutshell. I feel sorry for the buyers of Riviera

Any new resale purchased starting Jan 19th will not be able to book the new resorts but will still be able to book the existing 14 resorts

Thanks for all the info. This will definitely hurt all of us if/when we plan to sell. As some people have pointed out, new resale buyers won't be able to book at future resorts, like the Star Wars resort. That really hurts us in the long run.

Thanks for all the info. This will definitely hurt all of us if/when we plan to sell. As some people have pointed out, new resale buyers won't be able to book at future resorts, like the Star Wars resort. That really hurts us in the long run.

I believe the proposed Star Wars resort is a Disney hotel, not DVC.

Could you imagine the point cost if it were DVC? 65 points for a studio weekday night, or something along those lines I would bet.
That place is being touted as being more of an experience than a resort.
we both posted withing seconds of each other

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts