Resale Owner Perks?

GoofyDad87

Earning My Ears
We are looking into purchasing a DVC and were curious as to whether if you buy resale could you as DVC owner then take advantage and buy small contracts direct from Disney (25-50 points)? Or would you be limited to the 75 point minimum that first time DVC members face?

If you buy resale first, you could add on direct as little as 25 points at a sold out resort, or 50 points at a new/active resort (I was told by my guide last week). If you wanted to finance, it would have to be at least 50 points.
To qualify for the membership extras, you need at least 75 points direct.

If you buy resale first, you could add on direct as little as 25 points at a sold out resort, or 50 points at a new/active resort (I was told by my guide last week). If you wanted to finance, it would have to be at least 50 points.
To qualify for the membership extras, you need at least 75 points direct.
Interesting, thanks. I was told otherwise, but you're the 2nd person who says this. Edited that part out of my post.

Interesting, thanks. I was told otherwise, but you're the 2nd person who says this. Edited that part out of my post.
Maybe they’ve changed it recently? I’ve heard different minimums for new buyers too. But we only have a resale contract and when I called to ask about adding on, this is what I was told. (We wanted the 75 for perks anyway.)

Maybe they’ve changed it recently? I’ve heard different minimums for new buyers too. But we only have a resale contract and when I called to ask about adding on, this is what I was told. (We wanted the 75 for perks anyway.)

So if you buy a 25 point direct contract, you would be blocked from using those 25 direct points to book Riviera until you accumulate at least 75 direct points?

No. The direct points could be used to book at Riviera but not any points that you might purchase at resale.

So if you buy a 25 point direct contract, you would be blocked from using those 25 direct points to book Riviera until you accumulate at least 75 direct points?
So the booking restrictions and benefits are different things. From what I understand, direct points can always book Riviera, Reflections, etc (future), but you just won't get a blue card which gives you access to discounts, member events, etc.

So the booking restrictions and benefits are different things. From what I understand, direct points can always book Riviera, Reflections, etc (future), but you just won't get a blue card which gives you access to discounts, member events, etc.
Right.

Maybe it helps to think of it in terms of points vs membership. You use your points to book resorts. Any and all direct points (and pre-January 19 resale points) can book anywhere. Resale points now can book any of the L14 but not Riviera or future resorts. And Riviera and future resorts resale points can only their book home resort, no others.

For your membership you’d need to have at least 75 direct points to get a blue membership card, which gives you the discounts, able to book special events, etc. Otherwise you get a white membership card (well, not a card really, just an online ID) and have access to pool hopping, TOTWL (unless it’s restricted for a special event!), and dvd rentals.

Hope this helps clarify a little!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter