Report of Oregon college shooting...

sadly just another day in America. not a soul even mentioned it this morning at work and on the local radio station it's now not even 10 secs.

We've been desensitized to this and it really is just another day in America. But, maybe, just maybe this is a tiny bit of a good thing. This murderer isn't getting the attention others have gotten. His name isn't out there as much as others have been. He isn't making headlines like those before him and he isn't the talk around the water cooler. Maybe this is a small step in the right direction. I do believe people that do this type of horrible act have some sort of mental illness and there isn't much except vigilant monitoring and medication that will prevent this, but if even one realizes they aren't going down in infamy, maybe it is "good" that we have become so desensitized. It pains me that that is what it comes down to.

Does America have a crazy problem or its the medias fault? Why do we never hear about Canadians crazy people (using your term) going wild

I think there are two factors in this.

For one, yes, there are certainly not many mass shootings here in Canada.

For another, it is very rare for Americans to see media about Canada.

We had a lone shooter last fall here in the Capital. The entire city was in shutdown. I'm not certain many of my American friends would have known about it if I hadn't said something.

Americans would rather read about a drug addict mayor from Canada than about shootings in Canada. Although to be fair, Ford was pretty entertaining.

I think there are two factors in this.

For one, yes, there are certainly not many mass shootings here in Canada.

For another, it is very rare for Americans to see media about Canada.

We had a lone shooter last fall here in the Capital. The entire city was in shutdown. I'm not certain many of my American friends would have known about it if I hadn't said something.

Americans would rather read about a drug addict mayor from Canada than about shootings in Canada. Although to be fair, Ford was pretty entertaining.

But the assumption was that crazy people watch tv new and get whipped up into going out and killing dozens of folks. so what is different? if that is true and these quarterly murders are the result of TV news exactly what don't Canadians, Europeans etc see in their daily news.

But the assumption was that crazy people watch tv new and get whipped up into going out and killing dozens of folks. so what is different? if that is true and these quarterly murders are the result of TV news exactly what don't Canadians, Europeans etc see in their daily news.

That I don't know, because pretty much every mass shooting in the US gets broadcast up here, too.

I sometimes watch a show called (I think) Border Security. It's filmed at Canadian border crossings (both road and airports). I am constantly astonished watching it at how many Americans are carrying handguns with them when they try to come to Canada. On this show I've seen people with guns in diaper bags, glove compartments, in the pocket inside the car's front door, in purses, under the driver's seat, etc., etc. And so often the people say that they always have their guns with them. As a Canadian, I know very few people who have guns, and those who do keep them locked up except when they are going to use them for target shooting or something. I know it would be a bit different if I lived in a more rural area or had friends who hunted animals.

I think that when there are so many guns around, and being carried in purses, etc., it makes it so much easier for criminals and people with mental health issues to get guns for their purposes.

I sometimes watch a show called (I think) Border Security. It's filmed at Canadian border crossings (both road and airports). I am constantly astonished watching it at how many Americans are carrying handguns with them when they try to come to Canada. On this show I've seen people with guns in diaper bags, glove compartments, in the pocket inside the car's front door, in purses, under the driver's seat, etc., etc. And so often the people say that they always have their guns with them. As a Canadian, I know very few people who have guns, and those who do keep them locked up except when they are going to use them for target shooting or something. I know it would be a bit different if I lived in a more rural area or had friends who hunted animals.

I think that when there are so many guns around, and being carried in purses, etc., it makes it so much easier for criminals and people with mental health issues to get guns for their purposes.

As an American, I know very few people who have guns. Truly.

So if we stop reporting it, we won't have a monthly mass killing?

And exactly what story whipped him up into a frenzy? the pope coming to America? cause that's all that's been in the news lately.

Well we very likely will find out, they are becoming so routine no one gives it any thought.

Does America have a crazy problem or its the medias fault? Why do we never hear about Canadians crazy people (using your term) going wild

Just asking? What's the difference between religious intolerance and hate?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Tim_McLean
Guy killed, beheaded and cannibalized another guy on a Greyhound bus...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayerthorpe_tragedy
Guy laid-in-wait and slaughtered 4 RCMP members...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Pickton
Guy spent decades ritualistically killing prostitutes...

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/suspect-in-double-murder-of-father-and-daughter-in-hospital-1.2576648
Guy murdered another guy and his toddler daughter...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luka_Magnotta
Guy killed one of his lovers, broadcast it via web-cam, cut the guy up and mailed his "parts" to various elementary schools...

Want more? These are just what I came up with off the top of my head...FYI, only one of these crimes involved a firearm. (Which was obtained illegally. Which is generally how criminals get their guns, regardless of the laws or restrictions in place.)

Last edited:

Really? I know very few who DON'T have at least one gun in their home. Many have multiple guns. I guess it depends on where you live. When we lived in NoCal, no one seemed to own guns. In Minnesota, lots and lot of people do. Most people I know do. (Although I personally do not).

I looked that up and think it is a bit misleading. For example, Denmark is rated as #1 because of that single, really horrible, mass shooting where so many died. But that is the ONLY mass shooting they've had in the past five years. Other small countries also end up high on the list because they have one shooting, but it looks high "per capita" because the country is so small. Eliminate that single incident in five years and they'd be at the bottom of the list, with zero shootings.

The thing about guns is that it is much easier to kill a lot of people with a gun than with a knife or any other weapon, because you don't have to get as close to them.

This is true. The numbers are small, so they easily skew this way or that.

And yes, firearms do make killing "easier" than most other methods. Side note, despite that fact and the fact that firearms are commonplace in the U.S., each year roughly 35-40% of the homicides in this country are committed without a firearm. Rifles & shotguns combined actually come in below "hands & feet".

Sadly, even if we remove the firearm stats entirely, the U.S. wouls still have one of the highest homicide rates in the developed world.

Really? I know very few who DON'T have at least one gun in their home. Many have multiple guns. I guess it depends on where you live. When we lived in NoCal, no one seemed to own guns. In Minnesota, lots and lot of people do. Most people I know do. (Although I personally do not).

Really.

My friends in NorCal claim gun ownership is very common. But, these are folks who live in places like Truckee, not San Fran.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Tim_McLean
Guy killed, beheaded and cannibalized another guy on a Greyhound bus...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayerthorpe_tragedy
Guy laid-in-wait and slaughtered 4 RCMP members...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Pickton
Guy spent decades ritualistically killing prostitutes...

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/suspect-in-double-murder-of-father-and-daughter-in-hospital-1.2576648
Guy murdered another guy and his toddler daughter...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luka_Magnotta
Guy killed one of his lovers, broadcast it via web-cam, cut the guy up and mailed his "parts" to various elementary schools...

Want more? These are just what I came up with off the top of my head...FYI, only one of these crimes involved a firearm. (Which was obtained illegally. Which is generally how criminals get their guns, regardless of the laws or restrictions in place.)

LOL, oh yeah, googling mas murders in Canada is exactly the same thing as reporting it in the news like previous poster was alluding to.

You would think so. But, the weird thing is that as concealed carry has become more common (was once illegal almost everywhere), the homicide rate has actually declined.

So, I don't know that there's a real connection.

Not that rare if you & most people you know live in an urban environment. People in cities are far less likely to own guns, and those that do own them are far less willing to talk about it because it's frowned upon by many in that environment.

The vast majority of people I know own a gun, even if it's just a family heirloom. But, I live in a rural area. When my daughter was in elementary school, roughly 1/3 of her class took part in the annual youth deer hunt.

I have only one friend who has a gun that isn't a hunter (at least I think she does). Or, if I have non-hunting friends who own guns, they don't talk about it.

Saw a post on Facebook this morning along the lines of "Remember THIS Chris, not that Chris". This Chris being Chris Mintz, the ex-military guy who held a door closed, got shot 3 times, then twice more when the shooter got through. It's amazing he's alive right now, and maybe those few seconds he held the door saved some people. Wonder what would have happened if he was allowed a concealed carry on campus. Oh, and the shooter's name is Chris too.

According to that story, the shooter posted somewhere about the guy who shot the two reporters, and how famous he'd gotten. Good reason not to make him famous, set that example.

Roseberg OR is the home town, and Umpqua is the school, of Alek Skarlatos. Alek is currently on DWTS because he rushed a shooter on a Paris train and became a hero. I don't think the OR shooter gave him a thought, but maybe Chris Mintz did.

Chris Mintz was shot 7 times and has 2 broken legs
A true Hero
Pray for the innocent victims - don't mention the shooter-proud that their police chief won't speak his name!

I looked that up and think it is a bit misleading. For example, Denmark is rated as #1 because of that single, really horrible, mass shooting where so many died. But that is the ONLY mass shooting they've had in the past five years. Other small countries also end up high on the list because they have one shooting, but it looks high "per capita" because the country is so small. Eliminate that single incident in five years and they'd be at the bottom of the list, with zero shootings.

The thing about guns is that it is much easier to kill a lot of people with a gun than with a knife or any other weapon, because you don't have to get as close to them.

Do you mean Norway?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter