Report of Oregon college shooting...

Interesting that you found that information because my quick Google search shows the US leading in mass shootings by a landslide in everything that I could find. Easy access to guns seems to be the common denominator.

We do lead in number, but trail in # per capita.

As for access, the rifle used at Sandy Hook is more easily obtained in Canada than it is in Connecticut. It's less popular in Canada, but easier to buy (most provinces anyway). Point is, if someone in say Ontario wanted to go on such a spree, he could do so every bit as easily as he could in Montana. Moreover, his odds of facing an armed victim would be drastically reduced. Yet, for now, such things are pretty rare there. Which leads me to believe the difference is in the people we have on our streets vs the ones on their streets.

Last I heard from the news, the shooter was dead. Prayers to the family. Sad day all around.

So sad. I guess every generation has something frightening happen in it, but we seemed to have multiple things to keep us awake nights, as a PP stated.

I also find it extremely strange his name hasn't been released yet. Weird stories coming out as well, but until there are some facts, it's just rumor and not worth repeating.

Has there been any info on the victims yet? I had heard one teacher, but nothing else really.

I wonder how long it takes to release name of killer?
According to this timeline -the shooter engaged in gunfire with police and was dead 10 minute after first 911 call- can it happen that fast?
There is a sherrif office located close to the campus and they don't mess around here. I am somewhat surprised that it took them that long.

I think it werid that the killers name hasn't been released yet.

Here is a quote from the local sheriff as to why you are not hearing the killer's name very often, "Let me be very clear: I will not name the shooter. I will not give him credit for this horrific act of cowardice. Media will get the name confirmed in time... but you will never hear us use it.
We would encourage media and the community to avoid using it, repeating it, or engaging in any glorification and sensationalization of him. He in no way deserves it. Focus your attention on the victims and their families and helping them to recover.
We do know that we have at least two heroic officers who responded into the building within minutes and exchanged gunfire with shooter." https://www.facebook.com/DouglasCoSO?fref=nf

Woke up to this news on our local radio station. I'm sorry this keeps happening to you guys. I hope and pray the end is in sight.

I will never forget the horror of Dunblane. I was in primary school at the time, and I am grateful we have never had to go through that again.

My thoughts and prayers for the victims and their loved ones.

The shooter stood the Christians up and said, they would see God in a second. He killed them in cold blood. The others were shot in the legs.

Last edited:
Anyone ever feel like the whole damn world is going to hell in a hand basket? School shootings everyday, ISIS, Syrian Refugee problems, Growing National Debt

Anyone just ever look at all the chaos and says "hell with it?"

I used to think that way until I got older. Then I realized it is same crap, different day.

I have been so busy and was not even aware of the shootings. Thanks for bringing it to my attention Dan.

Here is a quote from the local sheriff as to why you are not hearing the killer's name very often, "Let me be very clear: I will not name the shooter. I will not give him credit for this horrific act of cowardice. Media will get the name confirmed in time... but you will never hear us use it.
We would encourage media and the community to avoid using it, repeating it, or engaging in any glorification and sensationalization of him. He in no way deserves it. Focus your attention on the victims and their families and helping them to recover.
We do know that we have at least two heroic officers who responded into the building within minutes and exchanged gunfire with shooter." https://www.facebook.com/DouglasCoSO?fref=nf

BRAVO to the sheriff! That's exactly why I didn't have any interest in knowing this guy's name. The media needs to follow suit and give that attention to the victims and the heroic officers.

sadly just another day in America. not a soul even mentioned it this morning at work and on the local radio station it's now not even 10 secs.

As for access, the rifle used at Sandy Hook is more easily obtained in Canada than it is in Connecticut. It's less popular in Canada, but easier to buy (most provinces anyway). Point is, if someone in say Ontario wanted to go on such a spree, he could do so every bit as easily as he could in Montana. Moreover, his odds of facing an armed victim would be drastically reduced. Yet, for now, such things are pretty rare there. Which leads me to believe the difference is in the people we have on our streets vs the ones on their streets.
...not to mention the fact that an individual bent on committing premeditated mass murder will simply make a plan and execute it - whether it involves access to firearms or not. 2 years ago the most horrific multiple murder in our city's history was committed with a knife - 5 seemingly random university kids at a frat party killed by one guy with a knife.

My thoughts and prayers for the victims and their loved ones.

The shooter stood the Christians up and said, they would see God in a second. He killed them in cold blood. The others were shot in the legs.
:scratchin Interesting semantics being used - today's news reports are using the term "religious intolerance" instead of hate crime.

I looked that up and think it is a bit misleading. For example, Denmark is rated as #1 because of that single, really horrible, mass shooting where so many died. But that is the ONLY mass shooting they've had in the past five years. Other small countries also end up high on the list because they have one shooting, but it looks high "per capita" because the country is so small. Eliminate that single incident in five years and they'd be at the bottom of the list, with zero shootings.

The thing about guns is that it is much easier to kill a lot of people with a gun than with a knife or any other weapon, because you don't have to get as close to them.

When the divisive hate speech stops.

So tired of every crisis being used to whip folks into a frenzy. Sets off the crazy people.

So if we stop reporting it, we won't have a monthly mass killing?

And exactly what story whipped him up into a frenzy? the pope coming to America? cause that's all that's been in the news lately.

Well we very likely will find out, they are becoming so routine no one gives it any thought.

Does America have a crazy problem or its the medias fault? Why do we never hear about Canadians crazy people (using your term) going wild

Just asking? What's the difference between religious intolerance and hate?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter