Renting DVC from UK

Ruttangel

BCV AKV BWV VGF DVC Owner
I’ve just gone through the process of renting out points from UK and thought I would share my experience.
First of all, only certain rental stores will deal with UK members so that left me with David’s as the most well known that would deal with me. They pay you by PayPal.
So, as my points could be used up to Oct 2020 I asked David’s that I only wanted to consider 11 month bookings which give you their higher rate of $14.50 and instead of saying I have 150 points I said I just needed to use a min of 130 and max of 180. I also said that I just wanted to make one booking rather than multiple.

They were fine with all that.
So, the points were listed on Friday and I got a booking offer today which I accepted. From then I had to create the booking and then email the reservation details to David’s.
Within one hour the renter had paid David’s and they had paid me. Exchange rate for PayPal was £1:$1.33 which is Ok I suppose.
PayPal will let you withdraw that to your bank for free.
I got 70% now and will get the remainder on booking start date.
anyway, I hope that helps someone

Last edited:

Excellent, I see you are going to WDW on honeymoon! That's amazing, congratulations!
We can't go until Aug 2021 so had to rent our points out

2021 Should be amazing. Yes we are staying 5 nights at FQ on the ddp from the UK offer that I'd already booked and then shortened once we got our DVC doing the rest of our honeymoon on DVC points. :)

2021 Should be amazing. Yes we are staying 5 nights at FQ on the ddp from the UK offer that I'd already booked and then shortened once we got our DVC doing the rest of our honeymoon on DVC points. :)
French Qtr was our first WDW resort, when we go back and visit we drop a few coins in the fountain.
I love the relaxed theme....but AKL is by far our favourite)

Last edited:

I'm also located in Europe(not UK) and I rent the points my self.

IMO the rate that davids provides is not that good. $14,5 per point is very low. Depending on resort you could get much more.

Also doing all the work youself will also put more in your own pocket, might not be as fast or maybe it will.

I'm also located in Europe(not UK) and I rent the points my self.

IMO the rate that davids provides is not that good. $14,5 per point is very low. Depending on resort you could get much more.

Also doing all the work youself will also put more in your own pocket, might not be as fast or maybe it will.
I’d rather use a broker than do it all myself
Good luck to you though if you can sort it all out yourself

we use david's as well.
I've successfully rented through them 4 times (3 of the rentals have completed, one left to complete in february).

and yes, i also tell them i want to rent them all in one go, not in smaller lots.
They are always cooperative.

the february rental is the last for a while.
we're going in 2021 and need 3 years of points for the trip.

I use David's it so much easier. The points always rent quickly there must be a waiting list. The money is in my paypal account quickly. We set up a US bank account last time we were in Orlando and linked it to my paypal account. We now just transfer it into there and use if for dues or spending money.

I use David's it so much easier. The points always rent quickly there must be a waiting list. The money is in my paypal account quickly. We set up a US bank account last time we were in Orlando and linked it to my paypal account. We now just transfer it into there and use if for dues or spending money.

Have you managed to do this with a UK paypal account? I can't see a way of linking a US dollar bank account to a UK PayPal account. Have been trying to figure it out for ages. I've got US dollars in my UK paypal account and the only way I can see to transfer them is through the PayPal Xoom service which takes a big commission. Am I missing something?

Have you managed to do this with a UK paypal account? I can't see a way of linking a US dollar bank account to a UK PayPal account. Have been trying to figure it out for ages. I've got US dollars in my UK paypal account and the only way I can see to transfer them is through the PayPal Xoom service which takes a big commission. Am I missing something?

You have to phone paypal CS up, mine was setup over the phone. I couldn’t do it online either. It appears on my list of accounts now and is free to transfer money. It is great doesn’t get converted just goes straight in as dollars.

You have to phone paypal CS up, mine was setup over the phone. I couldn’t do it online either. It appears on my list of accounts now and is free to transfer money. It is great doesn’t get converted just goes straight in as dollars.

I have USD in my paypal account and I have setup a US bank account too, I was able to do it myself, but it seems that paypal have removed that functionality from the webinterface.

I have a US bank account created through Transferwise, that gives you all the details for sending and receiving funds.

If I wanted to created a "real" US bank account next time I go to the states can i do that in any bank or does not all banks allow foreigners to do that? Also what kind of information is required?

I also have a Transferwise account. I was able to link it to my PayPal account at first, but PayPal has now removed it and won’t let me re-link it. I’ve currently got money stuck in a US PayPal account that I opened but now can’t access as I don’t have documentary evidence of a social security number or US address. All a bit of a nightmare.

I have USD in my paypal account and I have setup a US bank account too, I was able to do it myself, but it seems that paypal have removed that functionality from the webinterface.

I have a US bank account created through Transferwise, that gives you all the details for sending and receiving funds.

If I wanted to created a "real" US bank account next time I go to the states can i do that in any bank or does not all banks allow foreigners to do that? Also what kind of information is required?

We set up one with sun trust in the branch opposite Disney Springs. Can’t remember what we needed might have only been passports. I then phoned up PayPal when returned to add the account. I think I have to keep $500 in the account balance.

We have used David’s for a number of years to rent our points and it has always been an efficient process. However, in light of the changes to the contract terms as regards Owners of points we probably won’t do again.

We currently have one booking where the renter was affected by the Resort closure. We wanted to either refund the guest or rebook for them. David’s informed us the renter wouldn’t get either option but would get a travel voucher credit instead If I refunded the 70% payment to the company.
As I wanted the $ refund to go to the guest directly and not David’s I agreed to re-rent the affected points with David’s instead to give our guest a travel credit.
Moving forward the new Owner contracts require the owner to refund the 70% payment in the event of a force majeure but the renter doesn’t get their $ refunded as a result.They get a travel credit instead. I’m not comfortable with this and would rather work directly with the affected renter to rebook or refund.

We have used David’s for a number of years to rent our points and it has always been an efficient process. However, in light of the changes to the contract terms as regards Owners of points we probably won’t do again.

We currently have one booking where the renter was affected by the Resort closure. We wanted to either refund the guest or rebook for them. David’s informed us the renter wouldn’t get either option but would get a travel voucher credit instead If I refunded the 70% payment to the company.
As I wanted the $ refund to go to the guest directly and not David’s I agreed to re-rent the affected points with David’s instead to give our guest a travel credit.
Moving forward the new Owner contracts require the owner to refund the 70% payment in the event of a force majeure but the renter doesn’t get their $ refunded as a result.They get a travel credit instead. I’m not comfortable with this and would rather work directly with the affected renter to rebook or refund.

I am an owner like you based in the UK. What you have heard from David’s is not correct. The renter will get the voucher no matter what decision you make. I have this in writing from him. You are being lied too.

My reservation was in April. Providing you have not cancelled the contract you are not required to give David’s anything. They owe you 30%.

I have it in writing from David’s that our contracts are with him and not the renter. Providing you have not cancelled the contract you have completed your contractual obligations with him.

Renters might get a 100% refund if the do a credit card charge back,

I would never in a million years sign that new contract.

My advice is to do nothing. Wait and see what happens. David may not even be in business in a couple of months.

Apologies, I could have been a bit clearer in my last email. David’s at no point required we return the 70%. We were presented with the options of returning the 70%, keeping it and re-renting the points or doing nothing. I asked the question as to whether the renter would receive the $ back and was told no-travel credit only. We also wanted to liaise with the renter direct to rebook but the re-rent points option was not to create a further booking specifically for ‘our’ renter.
We agreed to re-rent the points in the hope that something can be salvaged for our renter by way of the travel credit.

I’ve just gone through the process of renting out points from UK and thought I would share my experience.
First of all, only certain rental stores will deal with UK members so that left me with David’s as the most well known that would deal with me. They pay you by PayPal.
So, as my points could be used up to Oct 2020 I asked David’s that I only wanted to consider 11 month bookings which give you their higher rate of $14.50 and instead of saying I have 150 points I said I just needed to use a min of 130 and max of 180. I also said that I just wanted to make one booking rather than multiple.

They were fine with all that.
So, the points were listed on Friday and I got a booking offer today which I accepted. From then I had to create the booking and then email the reservation details to David’s.
Within one hour the renter had paid David’s and they had paid me. Exchange rate for PayPal was £1:$1.33 which is Ok I suppose.
PayPal will let you withdraw that to your bank for free.
I got 70% now and will get the remainder on booking start date.
anyway, I hope that helps someone

Thanks for posting this information - really useful as we are (like many others i'm sure) in the same position!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!