rental car/tolls question

WINTER

DIS Veteran
Need advice: if renting a car, Dollar wants to charge $13.99 day for tolls. If I don't purchase this add-on, drive through tolls, will I get billed just for the tolls or will there be extra? TIA

Your options with Dollar are to pay the $13.99 for each day of your rental if you opt in to their service. Or pay $9.99 per day that use you use the toll roads plus the highest toll rate for each toll if you decline their service. I would highly recommend finding another way to pay for your tolls that isn't through the rental car company. I use Visitor Toll Pass every time I rent at MCO now. Ends up costing me nothing but the discounted tolls and is now available at all three terminals.

If you have EzPass, you can use that in Florida. Another option is to get a Uni or SunPass transponder. You set up an account, load it with $$, add the rental to your account and drive. We have a Uni transponder and the discounted tolls have more than paid for the unit.

Visitor toll pass is the easiest - I have a SunPass transponder but have found the visitor toll pass is the easiest, had a problem with Budget while using my Sunpass not picking up the same toll plazas. Since then I have downloaded the Visitor Toll Pass app and pick up the tag at MCO before I head to the garage to get my car. Once I have my car enter the plate number and I am on my way. Just drop the tag back off at the airport when finished.

We are renting a car and using the avoid tolls option on the map app so I don't have to deal with the tolls. Once we get on WDW property we don't leave until returning to the airport. It doesn't add much time to the drive but it is longer. We did this on our last trip to US and it worked out great.

We are renting a car and using the avoid tolls option on the map app so I don't have to deal with the tolls. Once we get on WDW property we don't leave until returning to the airport. It doesn't add much time to the drive but it is longer. We did this on our last trip to US and it worked out great.
How much longer is the ride approximately? We will have the same scenario as you.

I would "strongly" advise looking at Waze as soon as you deplane if this is your strategy. Orlando can experience traffic jams from hell that will have you sitting in the same place on I-4 for hours. (You haven't lived until you've done a U-turn in the I-4 median because you haven't moved in an hour and you have to catch a plane.)

FWIW, all of the tolls on 417 between MCO and Disney still take cash, though some of the unmanned exits require quarters for the pay basket. You do save a bit of money using the Visitor Pass over cash, $3.85 vs. $4.25.

For up-to-date info on Florida tolls, see the Expressway authority website: Toll Calculator

I would "strongly" advise looking at Waze as soon as you deplane if this is your strategy. Orlando can experience traffic jams from hell that will have you sitting in the same place on I-4 for hours. (You haven't lived until you've done a U-turn in the I-4 median because you haven't moved in an hour and you have to catch a plane.)
We are back from our trip and luckily didn't hit any traffic.
FWIW, all of the tolls on 417 between MCO and Disney still take cash, though some of the unmanned exits require quarters for the pay basket. You do save a bit of money using the Visitor Pass over cash, $3.85 vs. $4.25.
Good to know. Thanks. I don't mind paying the tolls but wasn't willing to pay the extra fee from the rental car agency.

For up-to-date info on Florida tolls, see the Expressway authority website: Toll Calculator
I'll keep this in mind for next time.

If you use you own transponder, still watch out for charges from the rental company. I don't know if the toll plaza didn't pick up our transponder or if I forgot to have it out but we got charged something like 9.99 plus the toll for one day. They have a fairly easy process to get the fee waived. I contacted them through an online form and just had to send a statement showing that other tolls were paid with our transponder during the rental period. It was actually much easier than expected. This was with Hertz.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter