Rehoming a dog

Wow. $1500 for a backyard bred dog? No thank you.

I have a standard poodle that I purchased as a puppy from a breeder 12 years ago for less than that. Her parents were both AKC confirmation champions and her father was also an agility champion. Her parents were also thoroughly tested for genetic disorders (hips, eyes, sebaceous adenitis, etc). Now, I know that prices have probably gone up in 12 years but still ... $1500 for a 7 year old poorly bred dog? GMAB.

Have a great time in Orlando!
I totally agree with you about the dog, a great big NOPE!
I totally agree with you about being in Orlando, a great big YES-thank you!

Well, OP here posting back about the corgi.
The couple that was looking to turn their dog back over to the breeder due to their health issues has changed their mind. They are struggling with the reality of giving her up. I feel terrible for them, it is an understandably difficult decision.
My search will continue...

The couple that was looking to turn their dog back over to the breeder due to their health issues has changed their mind. They are struggling with the reality of giving her up. I feel terrible for them, it is an understandably difficult decision.
I'm sorry :(. That just means that your dog is still out there. Good luck with your search!

I'm sorry :(. That just means that your dog is still out there. Good luck with your search!

I agree. THIS dog wasn't yours. Yours is still out there. :dog:

It's better it happen now than if you had that dog for a couple of days, your whole family fell in love with it, then the previous owners had misgivings. From the way you write, I think you'd have done right by them and given the dog back. This way saves you heartbreak. :sad:

So, in the interest of self torment:
I found a breeder local to me that had a Cardigan Welsh corgi available on a co-own basis. I had no idea what this meant, so I agreed to meet with her, talk about it & meet the dog.
After meeting, his owner allowed me to take him home for the week, no money or paperwork exchanged, to see how he fit our family. I was kind of surprised by the offer & I did end up leaving with him.
I (we) fell hard. He is a beautiful, very well behaved, well mannered boy. He looked like a baby panda bear. Sweet, friendly, playful, walks perfectly on leash...he has it all.
I ended up keeping him for nearly 2 weeks & brought him back yesterday. It was a very emotional day for me. It takes a lot to get me upset & this was tough, lots of tears & I can usually keep my emotions in check, but this hit me hard.
I couldn’t wrap my head around the arrangement I would have with his owner.
Basically, I would pay a discounted price for the dog ($1000), be responsible for his everyday needs, vet bills etc & for the next 4 years, she would be able to call me to take him for dog shows (she intended to show him) & to use him to breed.
I would not be able to have him fixed for 4 years.
She would be paying any cost associated with the shows, breeding, genetic testing.
Ultimately, for me it seemed like too much could possibly go wrong over those 4 years & I had to make the choice to pass.
I am missing him very much.

Wow, some people up the street from me couldn't care for their dog anymore and asked us if would take her. It cost us nothing. They did ask about a fenced in yard which we don't have, but they also knew it wasn't our job. We kept their decision open until we actually received her in case they changed their mind. Speaking as someone who has rescued most of my dogs, the lengthy questionnaires and "home consultations" by breeders and rescues is getting a little obnoxious, especially since several rescue employees know as much about pets as I do.

Basically, I would pay a discounted price for the dog ($1000), be responsible for his everyday needs, vet bills etc & for the next 4 years, she would be able to call me to take him for dog shows (she intended to show him) & to use him to breed.
She would be paying any cost associated with the shows, breeding, genetic testing.

So basically, she's looking for someone else to "kennel" er dog until she needs him at show times & breeding times. :sad2:

What would have happened if, as you are out walking the dog or another dog somehow gets into your yard and has a fight with the dog, scars up the dog, so it's no longer show-worthy? I'd bet YOU'D be stuck with the bills and a possible lawsuit, for damaging a dog and the loss of future income that dog should have been able to still do for her. :duck:

People are amazing in their audacity. :eek: :sad2:

I'm sorry you guys fell hard for that dog. It's a lesson to ask more questions first and find a dog with no strings attached. First the fence and training, now being "co-owner/kennel-maintenance person. :headache:

Honestly, these people sound high maintenance and exhausting. You will find another dog! It will just be one without crazy people in the picture.

So basically, she's looking for someone else to "kennel" er dog until she needs him at show times & breeding times. :sad2:

What would have happened if, as you are out walking the dog or another dog somehow gets into your yard and has a fight with the dog, scars up the dog, so it's no longer show-worthy? I'd bet YOU'D be stuck with the bills and a possible lawsuit, for damaging a dog and the loss of future income that dog should have been able to still do for her. :duck:

People are amazing in their audacity. :eek: :sad2:

I'm sorry you guys fell hard for that dog. It's a lesson to ask more questions first and find a dog with no strings attached. First the fence and training, now being "co-owner/kennel-maintenance person. :headache:

Honestly, these people sound high maintenance and exhausting. You will find another dog! It will just be one without crazy people in the picture.
Yep, & the reasons you both gave is why I had to take a big step back.
I can’t help but wonder if something happened, he gained too much weight to show properly or took a tumble & had to have stitches, etc would the claws come out & there would be problems.

So, in the interest of self torment:
I found a breeder local to me that had a Cardigan Welsh corgi available on a co-own basis. I had no idea what this meant, so I agreed to meet with her, talk about it & meet the dog.
After meeting, his owner allowed me to take him home for the week, no money or paperwork exchanged, to see how he fit our family. I was kind of surprised by the offer & I did end up leaving with him.
I (we) fell hard. He is a beautiful, very well behaved, well mannered boy. He looked like a baby panda bear. Sweet, friendly, playful, walks perfectly on leash...he has it all.
I ended up keeping him for nearly 2 weeks & brought him back yesterday. It was a very emotional day for me. It takes a lot to get me upset & this was tough, lots of tears & I can usually keep my emotions in check, but this hit me hard.
Ultimately, for me it seemed like too much could possibly go wrong over those 4 years & I had to make the choice to pass.
I am missing him very much.
I've heard of this before with show dogs so this is not a new or unusual thing. I also really don't see the difference between this and people who lease horses.

I wish you had come to the thread and asked advice before returning him because I would have suggested that you keep him. I don't see why you returned him since I don't find the requirements to be that outlandish for the perfect dog. The breeder is local so taking him to breed is not that big of a deal. I also don't think it's a big deal to take him away to show him a few times a year. As for "what about" this and that, that's what a contract is for! Did you ask her how often she would take him to breed? Or to show? Or what would happen if he became injured and could not show? That should all be spelled out and you should be able to make suggestions in the contract that make you feel protected as it should not be a 1-way document.

I don't intend to make you feel bad about your decision. I'm sure it was difficult for you, but I can tell that you still want that dog. I hope that maybe you can work things out with the breeder that makes you happy too.

I've heard of this before with show dogs so this is not a new or unusual thing. I also really don't see the difference between this and people who lease horses.

I wish you had come to the thread and asked advice before returning him because I would have suggested that you keep him.

Hmm. . . then maybe there are show dog forums you can check out too, to get suggestions about how usual this is and what does usually go in contracts? What would/can be the protections on your side. :scratchin

I have never heard of such arrangements. But, I've known Robinb, from here, long enough to trust her that she wouldn't steer you wrong. Once you do more research, maybe you can then go back and approach the owner and say you balked :eek: because you had never heard of such an arrangement before. But, your family loves the dog so much that you did more research into the show dog world and would like to talk some more to find a way to may this work for you both.

I know of an artist who has a husky which is a show dog that has won some awards in the past. He posts pics of her interspersed with his art on his blog. Those pics are of his dogs living a very normal life, playing outdoors, etc. Not having to be cossetted and enclosed somewhere to make sure she's pristine all the time.

I wish you had come to the thread and asked advice before returning him because I would have suggested that you keep him. I don't see why you returned him since I don't find the requirements to be that outlandish for the perfect dog. The breeder is local so taking him to breed is not that big of a deal. I also don't think it's a big deal to take him away to show him a few times a year. As for "what about" this and that, that's what a contract is for! Did you ask her how often she would take him to breed? Or to show? Or what would happen if he became injured and could not show? That should all be spelled out and you should be able to make suggestions in the contract that make you feel protected as it should not be a 1-way document.

I don't intend to make you feel bad about your decision. I'm sure it was difficult for you, but I can tell that you still want that dog. I hope that maybe you can work things out with the breeder that makes you happy too.
The arrangement, as described, seems to benefit the breeder MUCH more than DISNEYSQUIRRELS. It seems quite lopsided, especially with her being responsible for the vet bills instead of the breeder. The breeder makes out like a bandit. Just because you say this arrangement isn't unusual doesn't mean it is balanced and fair.

The arrangement, as described, seems to benefit the breeder MUCH more than DISNEYSQUIRRELS. It seems quite lopsided, especially with her being responsible for the vet bills instead of the breeder. The breeder makes out like a bandit. Just because you say this arrangement isn't unusual doesn't mean it is balanced and fair.
DISNEYSQUIRRELS would be responsible for all the vet bills, food, etc for another dog anyway so I don't see the big deal :confused3. It's not like it's an extra cost. My concerns would be (1) what happens if the dog becomes injured or sick and (2) under what circumstances can the breeder come for the dog to show or breed him. Since he will be a pet, I wouldn't want to give the breeder carte blanche to ask for the dog anytime in the next 5 years because that would interfere with my enjoyment of him. I'm not sure what is reasonable, but I would want some limits on the number of times I would have to hand my dog over for a weekend show or for a "doggie date". Both of my concerns are easily addressed by a contract that spells everything out and is agreed on by both parties.

I have interest in a very specific rare breed, that does co-ownership quite often as described above. It benefits everyone, as long as the contract is specific. The dog gets to live in a home situation for the majority of his "working" life (vs being one of possibly many in a kennel). The breeder gets to improve his/her chosen breed (by careful breeding) and kennel status (by showing). The buyer gets to enjoy the dog as a "pet" for the majority of the first five years, and forever thereafter. My only major concern would be if it was a coated breed, because the upkeep on them is phenomenal.

It's hard for the regular dog owner to understand, probably, but the number of really high quality dogs in many less popular breeds is VERY small. I don't wish to show, myself, but if I were to wait for a "pet" quality dog in my chosen breed, it could be many years.

And for those who say "just get a corgi from a backyard breeder or rescue", I have a few acquaintances who have had corgis with MAJOR hip/knee/back issues over the years, that have spent many thousands in vet bills. Personally, I would rather spend the money up front on one with excellent health clearances.

JMHO.

Terri

You are correct, I fell hard for this dog. He was perfect, a very sweet boy.
I could not wrap my head around the arrangement. It’s not that is was terrible & the breeder seems like a very nice woman.
I do realize it’s more common than a lot of people may realize, but it wasn’t for me. The dog was for sure. I am missing him much.
There would be up to 8x per year he could be taken for shows or breeding & I couldn’t have him neutered, so marking becomes an issue as well as mounting. The having him fixed part is non-negotiable on her end, she stands to make much $$ from breeding him.
It’s easy to imagine a relationship with her if everything goes perfectly smooth but what if it doesn’t? I am in a co-own set up for 4 years. What if he gets hurt before a show or gains weight despite me doing my best with him.
Your words & advice are appreciated & don’t make me feel bad, thank you.

Yes, my feelings too.

You are correct, I fell hard for this dog. He was perfect, a very sweet boy.
I could not wrap my head around the arrangement. It’s not that is was terrible & the breeder seems like a very nice woman.
I do realize it’s more common than a lot of people may realize, but it wasn’t for me. The dog was for sure. I am missing him much.
There would be up to 8x per year he could be taken for shows or breeding & I couldn’t have him neutered, so marking becomes an issue as well as mounting. The having him fixed part is non-negotiable on her end, she stands to make much $$ from breeding him.
It’s easy to imagine a relationship with her if everything goes perfectly smooth but what if it doesn’t? I am in a co-own set up for 4 years. What if he gets hurt before a show or gains weight despite me doing my best with him.
Your words & advice are appreciated & don’t make me feel bad, thank you.

It's very good that you are being true to yourself, but if it makes you feel any better, she wouldn't entrust you with this dog if she didn't think you would do a good job, most likely. If you formed a good relationship with her, and feel that she's trustworthy, what you need to do is this: ask her to put out the word among her fellow Corgi breeders that you would like to adopt a "washout", which is usually a show quality dog that just doesn't have that special "it" factor, or doesn't deal well with the stress of travel, etc.... Sometimes, they will have a female that they save back for breeding that won't "take", which will become eligible for adoption, also. These types of dogs are often never advertised or show up on their websites, you just have to know. Often they will be a little older (a year or two), but that's not the worst thing either.

Just an idea!
Terri

DISNEYSQUIRRELS would be responsible for all the vet bills, food, etc for another dog anyway so I don't see the big deal :confused3. It's not like it's an extra cost. My concerns would be (1) what happens if the dog becomes injured or sick and (2) under what circumstances can the breeder come for the dog to show or breed him. Since he will be a pet, I wouldn't want to give the breeder carte blanche to ask for the dog anytime in the next 5 years because that would interfere with my enjoyment of him. I'm not sure what is reasonable, but I would want some limits on the number of times I would have to hand my dog over for a weekend show or for a "doggie date". Both of my concerns are easily addressed by a contract that spells everything out and is agreed on by both parties.
Yes, I would (gladly) be paying for all the normal doggy “stuff” (vet checks, shots,flea/tick, heart worm, food, toys, bedding) & I am paying for the dog too ($1000) & giving the co-owner access up to 8x year. She described that I would have notice when she would need him & I really would not have an option to say no, especially on the breeding front.
Again, it’s nothing against her, it’s just not for me. Once that set in, I had to make the choice to bring him back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter