Regretting my Avis reservation

ILoveMyDVC

DIS Veteran
Everything screams CANCEL!

Can't log into the APP despite having my ID and PW right in front of me on the website. Lots of people can't get into the APP. One needs the App to pick the car, start the car etc...

The telephone number for the APP goes directly to a message.

Customer service will route you round and round until someone who doesn't speak English well starts with, "hello, hello, can't hear you"...end call

Outsourced customer service and IT nightmare.

Adding this in because it really looks like they are bad:
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/travel/avis.html

Last edited:
I've rented from Avis before and never had a problem. My upcoming reservation from MCO is from Avis as well.

ETA: just checked and I can get into the app no problem. My profile info and reservation are correct

Can't log into the APP despite having my ID and PW right in front of me on the website. Lots of people can't get into the APP. One needs the App to pick the car, start the car etc...

Sorry, but cars still come with keys. In MCO the cars are in the garage right across from the terminal and there are Avis people right there. No need to have an App.

Sorry, but cars still come with keys. In MCO the cars are in the garage right across from the terminal and there are Avis people right there. No need to have an App.

Fine - only an idiot would rent a car without the key until the day the keys are no more. The commentary is based on the complete and total lack of available customer service and ALL OF THE COMPLAINTS.

FYI - adding the word 'sorry' doesn't render the post any less snarky.

I've rented from Avis before and never had a problem. My upcoming reservation from MCO is from Avis as well.

ETA: just checked and I can get into the app no problem. My profile info and reservation are correct

Thank you - the more I google, the more worried I am. Random cleaning fees; double rates; cars not available (as in zero).

Every single car rental company is going to have bad reviews. Why? Most people renting cars have no idea what they're doing. Those that rely on the employee behind the counter to take good care of them? Silly. Those folks are getting paid, to the best of my knowledge, to upsell the customer.
There is no way I will ever prepay for a rental car...ever. Nope. That way, if something changes, I can easily just cancel the reservation...no worries.

Everything screams CANCEL!

The telephone number for the APP goes directly to a message.

Customer service will route you round and round until someone who doesn't speak English well starts with, "hello, hello, can't hear you"...end call

Outsourced customer service and IT nightmare.

Adding this in because it really looks like they are bad:
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/travel/avis.html
Just so you know you do not need the app to open the car. The app is more or less a different way of reserving and using Avis.

____
Ummm..we've used Avis a lot like a lot a lot over the years. They are actually a preferred car company for my husband's work.

We've used National (also a preferred car company for my husband's work) often as well.

We've used Alamo. We've used Fox (1st time using them just earlier this month in Denver, CO). We've used Enterprise. We've used Budget (technically owned by Avis). I'm probably forgetting others though.

Actually I read a story that said 97% of marketplace is own by three rental companies...

Good lord they all have their own issues every now and then. But every single time we've had an issue it came down to a location specific issue and not a company issue.

We avoid pre-paying for rental cars and that typically means when we're looking that we might pay more because the extra special deal requires pre-paying. That's no different though than if you book a hotel room and the fully refundable able to cancel room is slightly more expensive due to that whereas the room rate that is non-refundable can be less expensive.

I have to honestly ask do you rent vehicles often? I could see being more nervous if you don't rent often.

Absolute nonsense. I have never heard of needing an app to start an Avis rental car. Do you work for another car rental company? We have rented from Avis dozens of times, in several different countries, and have never had any issues. I don't understand the purpose of this thread; stop whining and rent from another company.

Fine - only an idiot would rent a car without the key until the day the keys are no more. The commentary is based on the complete and total lack of available customer service and ALL OF THE COMPLAINTS.

FYI - adding the word 'sorry' doesn't render the post any less snarky.
What location did you rent from?

Also plenty of rental vehicles don't have push button start...

One needs the App to pick the car, start the car etc...

???

The commentary is based on the complete and total lack of available customer service and ALL OF THE COMPLAINTS.

You started looking for complaints because an app is down. This is important to you because you say you need the app to get and start the car.

We rented Avis at lax just a few months back. No app needed or even downloaded. Our name wasn't on the board so we went in, my son charmed them, we got keys. Went to car I'd rented and realized I'd made a mistake and our bags wouldn't fit. Dh went back, upgraded for something like $5 more per day, got the new car.

All with no app needed or even downloaded.

Most people renting cars have no idea what they're doing

SO true.

Like the dingbats I described above, who drove off with the keys of the first car and had to figure out how to get them back to the people on the lot! ;)

Thank you - the more I google, the more worried I am. Random cleaning fees; double rates; cars not available (as in zero).

if stuff like this bothers you, you better not read any hotel reviews anywhere. I think you are over worrying. There is no company ANYWHERE that isn't going to have mixed reviews.

if stuff like this bothers you, you better not read any hotel reviews anywhere. I think you are over worrying. There is no company ANYWHERE that isn't going to have mixed reviews.

I called them twice - didn't go well either time. I try to cull out reviews that don't affect the whole. i.e. - restaurant reviews complaining about a server or not getting a 'good' table. I pay attention to the Board of Health finds.

You need an app to start the car? Are you sure about that? I rented from Avis a few months ago. I don't have the app, we were given keys.

You need an app to start the car? Are you sure about that? I rented from Avis a few months ago. I don't have the app, we were given keys.

I would love it if the OP would explain that. Would help us figure out their urgency over the app. Without that urgency they wouldn't be having issues with CS or reading reviews etc.

My understanding of the app is that it will notify you of your assigned car so you can go straight to the garage, by-passing the counter and checking the board. That is the only reason I downloaded the app for our upcoming April trip.

My understanding of the app is that it will notify you of your assigned car so you can go straight to the garage, by-passing the counter and checking the board. That is the only reason I downloaded the app for our upcoming April trip.
Except that you can get that too by enrolling in Avis Preferred....which is free:

upload_2017-3-23_11-28-39.png

Seriously the app is just another way to do a rental..could a person view this as more desirable? sure...could a person view this as the preferred way of doing business with a rental company? sure...is this required to rent a car with Avis? nope.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter