? Regarding Travel Insurance

MrsBergs

Mouseketeer
We booked a 4 night cruise on the Disney Dream for September 2020. This will be our 1st Disney Cruise. We are staying in Disney 2 days prior and staying 2 days later. We have never purchased travel insurance before on previous cruises, but this is the first time we are sailing in September, we normally cruise in January and February.
Would you recommend it? If so what companies do you recommend?
Thank you

Check to see if your credit card (if you used one to pay) includes travel protection.

That said, I've used World Nomad in the past and been happy with them.

If you are cruising in September, you should definitely get insurance as that is the height of hurricane season - and if you play wait and see and wait until a storm is named, you are up that famous tributary without means of locomotion.

I have used a couple of different companies depending on my trip. Sadly, the site I have used cannot be mentioned on here, but if you google trip insurance a site that allows you to compare policies should be one of the top choices.

What are the things most people look for in travel insurance? Coverage for the cost of the trip, sure, but what about medical additions? What are the "and don't forget about" things that are different than for a land-based trip?

I second Allianz. I have used them. The next cruise I am using Disney as I purchased my airfare through them as well as the cruise. It can't hurt to check your credit card for additional coverage.

I also use a web site comparison regarding insuring your trip. I’ve checked my MasterCard elite and while it has travel insurance if you pay your entire trip with that card, I find the coverage is basic, like luggage, delay, etc. I am always concerned about medical evacuation which seems to happen to someone on nearly every cruise over the last few years I’ve been on. So I still compare policies to find one that offers this coverage. I’ve used Travelguard and nationwide most recently.

My main concerns are cost of the trip if we can't go and medical evacuation coverage. In the last few years there's been stories on the news of local people hurt or sick on vacation trying to raise money to bring someone home. For our first cruise I didn't think about it and bought the coverage through Disney, for our next one I used the site to compare several options. We booked our next cruise on opening day and can't buy plane tickets for a year so I checked and they recommended buying the policy for the cost of the cruise, then increasing the coverage as I buy plane tickets and work out other details.

Yes, you should definitely get travel insurance for every cruise. Depending on the policy (read the fine print) it will cover the cost of the cruise if you suddenly become sick before sailing or if a close family member dies, and it will cover an emergency health evacuation back to the U.S.A. Never cruise without it.

I just rely on the insurance our Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card provides.
Does the whole cruise have to be paid with your CSR for the travel insurance? I always pay my cruises with gift cards but if I could get coverage paying a portion with my csr, I’ll do that. TIA

Also, look at your regular insurance company. For example, USAA has a deal for its members with a well-known travel insurance company where we get a discount off the regular rates.

I travel quite a bit but this upcoming cruise is the first time I've ever purchased Travel insurance.

We're doing 14 days through the Panama Canal. That's A LOT of time for things to go wrong. I purchased it for 2 reasons - 1, increased health coverage (because my insurance stinks) and 2, we're sailing into Galveston which I understand has a lot of delays so I want coverage in case of missing a flight.

Traveling in Sept your cruise could get changed because of a hurricane. Seems that Disney rarely cancels and does everything in their power to change itineraries instead of outright cancelling a cruise. Is that something you can deal with (financially, I mean)?

I insured our 16 day trip for 2 (1 adult, 1 child) for under $200 without shopping around very much. It was worth it to me for this trip.

Yes, you should definitely get travel insurance for every cruise. Depending on the policy (read the fine print) it will cover the cost of the cruise if you suddenly become sick before sailing or if a close family member dies, and it will cover an emergency health evacuation back to the U.S.A. Never cruise without it.

You can get the medi vac for free if you book your cruise on the Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card.

Does the whole cruise have to be paid with your CSR for the travel insurance? I always pay my cruises with gift cards but if I could get coverage paying a portion with my csr, I’ll do that. TIA

Here is a PDF with information:
https://cdn.f9client.com/api3/file/...543abf080f1eb527200766d49ae3f0a26f6ce152dd293
It appears that the entire amount has to be charged to the CSR or any portion not covered by CSR rewards:
"Covered Trip means any pre-paid tour, trip or vacation when some portion of the cost for such travel arrangements less any redeemable frequent flyer miles, points, coupons or certificates, or other types of redeemable Rewards has been charged to your Account"

Here is a PDF with information:
https://cdn.f9client.com/api3/file/...543abf080f1eb527200766d49ae3f0a26f6ce152dd293
It appears that the entire amount has to be charged to the CSR or any portion not covered by CSR rewards:
"Covered Trip means any pre-paid tour, trip or vacation when some portion of the cost for such travel arrangements less any redeemable frequent flyer miles, points, coupons or certificates, or other types of redeemable Rewards has been charged to your Account"
Thanks for this info. Oh well, travel insurance it is then.

I go to the trip insurance online companies that search multiple carriers. I buy insurance based on the coverage offered. What is important to you to be covered. If the cruise line cancels the cruise due to a storm - you will probably get compensated somehow. If you cancel - it depends on the coverage you get. n Are concerned about delays due to weather and missing a flight and not making the cruise, or medical coverage in case of an injury? Medical evacuation? Cancel for any reason (which may companies require to be purchased within so many days of your deposit). Do some homework and compare coverages as well as the company's ratings.

We started purchasing insurance when grandparents were in failing health, and have been purchasing it ever since.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter