Refillable Mugs????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes,the rules state that the mug can only be used at the resort at which the mug was purchased for that particular stay,.

Actually, you can use them at any of the resorts, not just the one where you bought it. (I'm not sure if CSR would be an exception...?) Again though, only during the trip in which you purchased it, per the rules.

What always gets me when a discussion comes up about using other people's mugs or resuing mugs from old trips. Now hear me out for a minute, if you had a child and they asked you if they could take a candy bar from the store without paying since they had bought one once before what would you say? It always amazes me that people seem to forget the basic pretense of ethics and morals just because its Disney. With that being said I don't care what others do and it is not my job to police them, I do that for a living not on vacation, but we always buy a new mug. Just becasue "everyone is doing it" doesn't mean its the right thing to do. Remember a good person does the right thing even when nobody is looking.

What always gets me when a discussion comes up about using other people's mugs or resuing mugs from old trips...

Generally speaking, what gets me is why people are so obsessed with what other people do--I generally focus my attention on having fun when in the World and really could care less who is using what mug. Heck, fill your shoe up w/ Coke for all I care! Let Disney worry about it--that's what their CM's get paid to do! I'm sure if the problem was that big of a deal and there was a need for Mug Police, they would appoint them.

(Wonder why you don't see the same argument and lectures when people mention stocking up on LGMH's at Home Depot in preparation for thier trips...:rolleyes1 )

What always gets me when a discussion comes up about using other people's mugs or resuing mugs from old trips. Now hear me out for a minute, if you had a child and they asked you if they could take a candy bar from the store without paying since they had bought one once before what would you say? It always amazes me that people seem to forget the basic pretense of ethics and morals just because its Disney. With that being said I don't care what others do and it is not my job to police them, I do that for a living not on vacation, but we always buy a new mug. Just becasue "everyone is doing it" doesn't mean its the right thing to do. Remember a good person does the right thing even when nobody is looking.

I completely agree with you! When we go in Sept I am buying a new refillable mug. I don't give a hoot what some others do, the only person I see when I look in the mirror is myself. The desire to cheat and to save some extra $$ - is there for all of us I think, especially when we could save some money for some Disney loot - but I feel guilty when I do things like that. Its easier for me to do the right thing than the wrong thing.

Of course, if they do offer the "refills for life" mugs again, it would be worth the extra $$ to get one, wouldn't it? I spoke with a very nice lady last year at POR who was rightly proud of her DL mug. Lucky duck! :)

(Wonder why you don't see the same argument and lectures when people mention stocking up on LGMH's at Home Depot in preparation for thier trips... )

Ok - I have to ask even though I know I'll be sorry later. What's a LGMH????

TIA
Karen

Forget it- I found it - You people are freaking kidding me right? Swiping paint swatches from Home Depot so you can make Lime Green Mickey Heads?????? Oh, no - I think its worse than I thought - the paint samples are already in the shape of Mickey Heads, aren't they? :)

Ha ha ha--Lime Green Mickey Head. The official symbol for DISers. Many people sport them or decorate their room windows with them. Kind of a way for DISers to recognize each other in the parks. People tie them to strollers, backpacks, etc.
I'm not sure what the 'protocol' for them is these days, but I know for a while people used the Dinsey paint color samples in "Alien Green" to accomplish this and would 'stock up' on them at Home Depot before going to the parks.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=22772262#post22772262&highlight=lgmh

I also am wondering what a LGMH is at Home Depot.:confused:
We are booked for CSR in August for 5 nights~8am flight home. Is it worth it to buy 4 mugs for my family of 4 or should we just buy 2 mugs.
Now before anyone gets all worked up, let me explain. I can only see myself & my husband using our mugs in the am for coffee and then my girls would use them for lemonade and such later in the day.
You can't use the mugs anywhere else, correct? Since we are going to spend all our time in the parks really would it be worth it to buy 4 or just 2 and share?
Thank you!:)

Ha ha ha--Lime Green Mickey Head. The official symbol for DISers. Many people sport them or decorate their room windows with them. Kind of a way for DISers to recognize each other in the parks. People tie them to strollers, backpacks, etc.
I'm not sure what the 'protocol' for them is these days, but I know for a while people used the Dinsey paint color samples in "Alien Green" to accomplish this and would 'stock up' on them at Home Depot before going to the parks.

Thanks! I knew I'd be sorry for asking!!! I think I have a new Disney art project for my 8 year old.... :lmao:
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Karen :flower3:

I also am wondering what a LGMH is at Home Depot.:confused:
We are booked for CSR in August for 5 nights~8am flight home. Is it worth it to buy 4 mugs for my family of 4 or should we just buy 2 mugs.
Now before anyone gets all worked up, let me explain. I can only see myself & my husband using our mugs in the am for coffee and then my girls would use them for lemonade and such later in the day.
You can't use the mugs anywhere else, correct? Since we are going to spend all our time in the parks really would it be worth it to buy 4 or just 2 and share?
Thank you!:)

Our Thanksgiving '07 trip we just bought 2 of the refillable mugs (we have 2 children also). I never even had the slightest inclination that I was cheating the system. Even after your question arose, I still didn't! :goodvibes I'm sure I am opening myself up for a dis-attack but oh well. I can't see spending over $50 on 4 mugs when we only spent about 3 hours awake at our resort each day. I have, and will again only buy 2 mugs for my family of 4. :goodvibes

....Generally speaking, what gets me is why people are so obsessed with what other people do--I generally focus my attention on having fun when in the World and really could care less who is using what mug. Heck, fill your shoe up w/ Coke for all I care!............

How about filling a shoe up with Mickey ice cream bars? Or filling a shoe up with Disney pins?

I have to admit that I'm new to the entire refillable mug concept as we have never done it. But I do find these discussions very amusing to say the least. Anyway, if I purchase a refillable mug, can I fill it with coffee each day from one of the coffee machines? I know that Gaspi's at the GF has a coffee machine that makes lattes. Can I fill it up with that?

I just know about the food courts. I'm a coffeholic - so I only get one mug. The kids don't drink that much pop, so we only need the one mug for the three of us. I think on our last trip, I put pop in there once....

You could always ask on the GF thread? You can find the links to the resort faqs boards on the first page of this board - fourth one down I think...

I have to ask about WL on their thread too. One cup of room coffee in the morning is just not going to work.....

Karen :flower3:

Actually, you can use them at any of the resorts, not just the one where you bought it. (I'm not sure if CSR would be an exception...?) Again though, only during the trip in which you purchased it, per the rules.
Others have said that is true about not being able using the Year of a Million Dream mugs at CSR, because their dining locations are not owned by WDW. So because of that they still sell the CSR logo mugs.

(Wonder why you don't see the same argument and lectures when people mention stocking up on LGMH's at Home Depot in preparation for thier trips...:rolleyes1 )

Because it's not Disney! Somehow some people think it's worse to "steal" (their word) from Disney by filling a mug at a resort other than where purchased, even on the same trip, than to "steal" from Home Depot (or elsewhere).

...... Somehow some people think it's worse to "steal" (their word) from Disney by filling a mug at a resort other than where purchased, even on the same trip,.......

Just an FYI

The signage for the refillable mugs has changed indicating the new policy will allow guests to refill the mugs at any of the resort refill stations during the same trip:
The old signs said the mug could only be used at the resort where puchased during the stay.

OLD sign:

refillmugsign.jpg

NEW sign:

cbrconstructiondec07_1278.jpg

Is it stealing to reuse your refillable mugs? Technically, I guess so. But to equate it with filling your shoe with Mickey bars or with pins isn't quite the same thing. Try to walk out of that pin store, with your shoe (or refill mug for that matter) full of pins. Ain't gonna work friends. You will be stopped. It's called shoplifting...it's against the law. The CMs will stop you. So....now you've returned to WDW, to the Polynesian, for your 8th stay on-site. You sashay up to the beverage station, and fill up your POP mug from 2002. Wrong? Technically, yes. But, will a CM stop you? Most likely not.

If, and when, Disney starts to care about refillable mug abuse (aka reuse), they will institute a system that prohibits the reuse, unless allowable under the new system. They could issue bar code stickers...you could reuse the same mug forever..just pay a bit each trip for that bar code sticker and you're good to go. That's one option. But, until Disney starts enforcing their own refillable mug rule (as written on the side of each and every mug sold), then I guess it's up to each family to decide what works for them.
Me? I tend to buy new ones each trip. I do have a POP mug from Jan that is going back with me in Sept, but I still have to buy two more!

If, and when, Disney starts to care about refillable mug abuse (aka reuse), they will institute a system that prohibits the reuse, unless allowable under the new system. They could issue bar code stickers...you could reuse the same mug forever..just pay a bit each trip for that bar code sticker and you're good to go. !

The Sentinal did report in 2002 that WDW was going to put bar codes on their resort refill mugs .
---------------------------------

From this Mouseplanet.com websiteJune,2002:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/mike/ref...icy_changes.htm

In an effort to rein in costs and increase income, the Walt Disney World Resort hotels are making some drastic changes to the extremely popular refillable mug program that may affect many repeat visitors to the resort.

[If you are unfamiliar with the program, you can read about it in MousePlanet's WDW Resorts from A to Z page under "Refillable Mugs."]

According to an article in the Orlando Sentinel entitled "32 ounces of soda not enough? Disney tries out self-serve refills," Walt Disney World is making large 32-ounce soft drink mugs available for free self-serve refills in Typhoon Lagoon. That's the good news. The bad news is that you can only refill your mug on the day of purchase. If you return to Typhoon Lagoon the next day, you can no longer refill your mug for free.

Disney has added a new UPC bar coding system to the self-serve refill stations that, for the first time, controls a previously unenforced policy. Although the refillable mug program has always been advertised as available during an actual length of stay that allows guests to refill their mugs during their trip, in reality, guests often brought their mugs back on subsequent trips to refill them free of charge. With the UPC code tied to a guest's hotel reservation, this new system closes this loophole altogether. That is, once your stay has ended, your mug is no longer refillable. Those mugs you bought on previous visits won't work next time you vacation at WDW.
Another loophole that may close with this new system is that you might not be able to use your mug at any other resort except at the one you are staying. For example, if you stay at one of the resorts for a few days and purchase a mug there, and then you move over to another resort for the balance of your vacation, the mug might not be refillable at the second resort.How will this new system be enforced? Once the UPC code system is fully activated, they can devise a system by which the fountains work only if an "active" UPC code is on the mug.

WDW visitors are already complaining that the new system is yet another line to stand in and just "more time-consuming nonsense cutting into [one's] vacation time."

Did you recently visit WDW and see this change in practice? If you have any first-hand knowledge or experience, please email me or Brian Bennett at brian@mouseplanet.com to provide us with more details.

---------------------------------------------------------
Here is another article written in June 2002:

http://www.theshiftedlibrarian.com/2002/06/24.html

Disney Mug Holders, Beware

"The new system of computerized monitoring of fountain refills being experimented with at Typhoon Lagoon could tighten a rather loose policy at Disney's resorts. They sell 16-ounce souvenir mugs for $9.99.

Guests may refill them at resort snack bars unlimited times with soda, coffee or tea for the length of their stay. Cashiers sell the mugs and then are supposed to keep a watchful eye as guests get their own refills.

But some Disney World employees and regular guests say they take the mugs on repeat visits to the snack bars and fill up -- basically a lifetime of free drinks for one purchase. They are occasionally offered on eBay and at garage sales, testimony to their timeless value.

Cashiers say the mugs' designs aren't changed enough for them to spot old ones. But the new system being tried at Typhoon Lagoon employs a bar code that's read electronically at the drink dispenser and recognizes old mugs." [Orlando Sentinel, via Boing Boing]

----------------------------------------------------------------

And another from June 2002:

From this website:

http://www.intercot.com/news/2002/june.asp

News Archive - June 2002

June 27, 2002

Refillable Mug Policy Tightening?
According to the Orlando Sentinel, Disney is experimenting with a new computerized barcode system to be used in tandem with it's refillable mug program offered at their resorts. The program allows guests to buy a mug for each person in their party which then can be used for unlimited drink refills during their stay. The policy change could come as a result of Guests taking the mugs on repeat visits to Disney World to fill up on what becomes basically a lifetime of free drinks for one purchase.

-----------------------------

Just my 2 cents.

Because it's not Disney! Somehow some people think it's worse to "steal" (their word) from Disney by filling a mug at a resort other than where purchased, even on the same trip, than to "steal" from Home Depot (or elsewhere).

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! Exactly my point.:rotfl:

But, until Disney starts enforcing their own refillable mug rule (as written on the side of each and every mug sold), then I guess it's up to each family to decide what works for them.

What? You mean not let the Mug Police make their decision for them? And everyone worry about themselves and not what others are doing? What a concept.:banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter