Recent Character Meal Experiences?

ADisneyFamilyof5

Mouseketeer
We are planning a trip to DL in March. Our kids have not been since before Covid and I really want to do a character breakfast. However, it says online that the "experience is currently modified". I was just wondering if that was in regard to characters, food or both? We really just want to go so my youngest can experience the characters, we don't worry about the food so much. Does anyone have any insight? Thanks!

We are planning a trip to DL in March. Our kids have not been since before Covid and I really want to do a character breakfast. However, it says online that the "experience is currently modified". I was just wondering if that was in regard to characters, food or both? We really just want to go so my youngest can experience the characters, we don't worry about the food so much. Does anyone have any insight? Thanks!
No personal experience, but I asked a similar question recently and was told that the characters don’t do individual posed pictures with children any longer, but more of a dance/parade around the room (twice, I think?) and then a socially distanced visit to each table. I don’t know about the food part though.

Have done Storytellers for breakfast twice since September and what has been previously said is what I experienced. Characters came out every 20 minutes or so to music and did a parade then came back around to allow you take pictures of them or get a socially distanced selfie. There didn't seem to be anything different with the food (other than being required to wear a mask whilst getting food), but I had not done a character breakfast in nearly 10 years before then, so I am not sure.

We have reservations for a plaza breakfast for end of Feb. Really hoping they get back to regular interactions by then as the Omicron wave fades (hopefully.)

Going to be a long shot though.

Have done Storytellers for breakfast twice since September and what has been previously said is what I experienced. Characters came out every 20 minutes or so to music and did a parade then came back around to allow you take pictures of them or get a socially distanced selfie. There didn't seem to be anything different with the food (other than being required to wear a mask whilst getting food), but I had not done a character breakfast in nearly 10 years before then, so I am not sure.

This is how it was when we ate at Goofy's Kitchen in September.

We had a really great experience at Storytellers brunch (which in my opinion is a better option than breakfast as you get all the breakfast buffet items plus loads more lunch options including small plates that you can order with your server and are delivered to your table—don’t miss the filled beignets!). The food was really excellent and the service was also great. We ate there the last week of December (to celebrate the end of our covid Christmas isolation 😩).

The character interactions were better than expected! As long as you stay in your seats they will come by and pause very briefly for photos (you have to be quick!). It’s not like “before times” and I did really miss the “welcome photo” (which I believe they still do at Plaza Inn) but all in all, I was quite pleased! We had Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, And Chip and Dale.

The food at a Storytellers is many times better than Plaza Inn and you get real silverware and napkins, which when you’re paying that much makes a difference in the experience to me. Sadly, I didn’t take nearly enough photos of the food! Too busy with the kids and characters coming by.

We stayed 90 minutes and were very satisfied with the experience from food quality to service to character interactions to ambiance. Kids had a blast.

04B52905-96D4-4ED1-9B1E-41CF5A88D9C5.jpeg1BCF2A12-C1D5-4FDF-ACE8-5C3230FB02DF.jpegE5729DBB-59CE-49E5-AC0D-8D4EA51EF3FF.jpeg1E27D4DC-6327-4276-AFEF-0BB254F04677.jpeg78CE5F2F-F0B1-4032-89AF-23737871A0DD.jpeg794086D5-57EB-4112-A297-0665920CC9EE.jpegCE0FA5EB-4F66-4B09-89F2-175900C01636.jpeg

We have reservations for a plaza breakfast for end of Feb. Really hoping they get back to regular interactions by then as the Omicron wave fades (hopefully.)

Going to be a long shot though.
I really doubt it by February! All character interactions have been distanced since the parks reopened and I don’t see that changing any time soon! We still had a great time at Storyteller’s (see my review above).

Anyone been to Chef Mickeys lately? We have a reservation there and seeing if you feel it's worth it

We had a really great experience at Storytellers brunch (which in my opinion is a better option than breakfast as you get all the breakfast buffet items plus loads more lunch options including small plates that you can order with your server and are delivered to your table—don’t miss the filled beignets!). The food was really excellent and the service was also great. We ate there the last week of December (to celebrate the end of our covid Christmas isolation 😩).

The character interactions were better than expected! As long as you stay in your seats they will come by and pause very briefly for photos (you have to be quick!). It’s not like “before times” and I did really miss the “welcome photo” (which I believe they still do at Plaza Inn) but all in all, I was quite pleased! We had Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, And Chip and Dale.

The food at a Storytellers is many times better than Plaza Inn and you get real silverware and napkins, which when you’re paying that much makes a difference in the experience to me. Sadly, I didn’t take nearly enough photos of the food! Too busy with the kids and characters coming by.

We stayed 90 minutes and were very satisfied with the experience from food quality to service to character interactions to ambiance. Kids had a blast.

View attachment 640518View attachment 640519View attachment 640520View attachment 640521View attachment 640522View attachment 640523View attachment 640524
Love the photos! I can't believe your boys have gotten so big!

We loved our character interaction at Storytellers. Like stated above, they did stop at the tables for quick photos. Not like before but it was worth it. However, at the Plaza Inn, the tables are such that they can’t and don’t stop. They quickly parade through. I couldn’t get a single photo. I mentioned something to the character CM and he said they are instructed to “not stop.” The guy at the table next to me jumped in and tried to tell them how WDW did it. The next parade they marched in one at a time but still didn’t stop for any pictures - even pictures with no one. Certainly not like we experienced at Storytellers. My DD and I were disappointed. That said, the photo experience with Minnie was great!

Anyone been to Chef Mickeys lately? We have a reservation there and seeing if you feel it's worth it

Chef Mickey's is at Walt Disney World in Florida. I went in July and had a great time.

We loved our character interaction at Storytellers. Like stated above, they did stop at the tables for quick photos. Not like before but it was worth it. However, at the Plaza Inn, the tables are such that they can’t and don’t stop. They quickly parade through. I couldn’t get a single photo. I mentioned something to the character CM and he said they are instructed to “not stop.” The guy at the table next to me jumped in and tried to tell them how WDW did it. The next parade they marched in one at a time but still didn’t stop for any pictures - even pictures with no one. Certainly not like we experienced at Storytellers. My DD and I were disappointed. That said, the photo experience with Minnie was great!

Thanks for this. I've got Goofy's Kitchen and Storyteller's - I'll quit searching for Plaza Inn as it sounds like it would be a disappointment. (as for "how WDW does it", I'm learning quickly in researching that though they are sister parks, they have very different operations and what is done at one should not be expected at the other...now if you had said how they did it at Storyteller's, that would have been relevant)

We had a great time at Plaza Inn. Sure, it’s not like the interactions of the past, but we knew that going in. The characters did not stop and play with us but they did pause and wave (you do have to be quick though). They paraded 3 times while we were there, and we had a great crowd near us and we would all clap, dance and chat, so the characters got in to it too.

I’m going to Goofy’s in a few weeks as it is simply my favorite character meal. I expect more of the same, the characters walking by and waving. I will miss my hug with Goofy but I appreciate that they are at least trying to give us a character experience.

As for WDW vs DL, yes same company but located in different states with different governmental regulations regarding Covid protocols. They simply cannot operate the same at the moment. (No commentary on this please, it is a simple fact that we must accept when visiting the park)

I really doubt it by February! All character interactions have been distanced since the parks reopened and I don’t see that changing any time soon! We still had a great time at Storyteller’s (see my review above).
Yea I doubt it too, but the fact that other western countries like the UK are majorly pulling back on restrictions give me the faintest glimmer of hope that normality trickles down to Disneyland as well.

We shall see.

Last edited:
As for WDW vs DL, yes same company but located in different states with different governmental regulations regarding Covid protocols. They simply cannot operate the same at the moment. (No commentary on this please, it is a simple fact that we must accept when visiting the park)

I get it and I said I realize they are different. I'd never say "Well, in Florida they do..."

Thanks for this. I've got Goofy's Kitchen and Storyteller's - I'll quit searching for Plaza Inn as it sounds like it would be a disappointment. (as for "how WDW does it", I'm learning quickly in researching that though they are sister parks, they have very different operations and what is done at one should not be expected at the other...now if you had said how they did it at Storyteller's, that would have been relevant)

We went to Plaza Inn our 1st day so didn’t have any reference. Just disappointment. It was the gentleman at the table next to me who chimed in on my conversation with the character CM. Apparently he had been to WDW. If I had been to Storytellers first and then Plaza Inn, I would have used that as a reference myself. Either way, our experience at Storytellers more than made up for our experience at the Plaza Inn. We did meet our goal at the Plaza Inn and that was to get our Christmas pictures taken with Minnie so all was good.

We went to Plaza Inn our 1st day so didn’t have any reference. Just disappointment. It was the gentleman at the table next to me who chimed in on my conversation with the character CM. Apparently he had been to WDW. If I had been to Storytellers first and then Plaza Inn, I would have used that as a reference myself. Either way, our experience at Storytellers more than made up for our experience at the Plaza Inn. We did meet our goal at the Plaza Inn and that was to get our Christmas pictures taken with Minnie so all was good.

Yeah, I got that it was the guy who brought up WDW.

I'm glad you had mission accomplished!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter