Reading week...

minnie56

DIS Veteran
My DD (20) and her friend are looking to go somewhere warm for reading week...Feb 19th. Anyone have any tips??

I am discouraging the Dominican Rep due to the Malaria outbreak etc...

What about Cuba? Any preferable areas? Cancun?

They want beach, sun and a nice hotel...

Thanks!

I have to ask, what is reading week?

Too many people are coming home sick from the DR right now (not malaria), I love Punta Cana but this is a bit scary.

Do they want quiet or night life? Quiet, Cuba is amazing. We stayed at Playa Pesquero (Holguin) last winter, excellent place. Varadero is great..most of Cuba is great, love it there, the people are amazng.

If they want nightlife, they are better off in Mexico. Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, Playa del Carman, again all super. Lots of nightlife in Cancun. Beaches in cancun and pdc are nicer than PV but PV is so charming. It depends what they are looking for. They will find the sun and beach in all locations but its the other stuff... all inclusive or not, for example, is a big factor in the decision making.

Sorry, should have clarified.
Reading week is a week during Feb that many University students have off I presume to 'read'? However, that can be done anywhere..so they often go away!!

Thanks for the tips! The girls like to party but I think are looking for a bit of both...maybe a little nightlife...but more relaxation and sun.They are 2nd year Engineering/Chemistry students and really want the break more than anything..

Thanks again..

What about a cruise? If they got busy right now, they should be able to book a Carnival or RCCL cruise at a decent price for the week. I personally think that cruises are somewhat safer, and they can see several ports in the week.

What about a club Med? Turks and Caicos is supposed to be fun and caters to her age group. My friends went to the one in Cancun and had an amazing time.

PoohBMV...I like cruises too...but we are doing an RCI one in May so they want something different this time..

I will check out Club Med...I am looking at prices for them now...Princess Pooh...I think Cancun would be good too.

Thanks everyone!

minnie56 said:
Sorry, should have clarified.
Reading week is a week during Feb that many University students have off I presume to 'read'? However, that can be done anywhere..so they often go away!!

I have a daughter at York U and her reading week is Feb. 14-18. Some of her friends are going to Hawaii for reading week, they got a very good deal.

Here I sit in the 'wee' hours looking for deals...nothing jumps out at me..

Hawaii is pretty pricey and cannot find an all inclusive...such a long way for only a week too...

The girls are searching as well and I am sure we'll come upon something as it gets even closer...they are a bit panicky but I keep telling them that as they are flexible with where they will/can go...I am sure they will find something nice pretty soon in their price range.

Thanks for all the ideas.... :scratchin

Have they been checking the SAt's travel section in the newspaper. lots of good bargains were in there. Signature was having a big sale. Feb is prime time but there some good deals in Puerto Vallarta and Cancun all-inclusive. They would have a blast at either.

We did check the travel sections....their date (Feb 19) was not in abundance and there was nothing great in the desirable destinations 'deal wise'...I am sure it will happen in the next week though.

Looks like anything decent will be around $1,500 plus though..

They have it down to Cayo Coco and Varadero...any thoughts?

Appreciated as always!

I've never been to Varadero but my brother and best friend love it there. I've seen pictures of the beaches and they are stunning!

I'm looking to go away during that same time and everything is so expensive! I hope something will come up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter