Read about Car Theft...Aulani Travel and Surrounding Areas....

jerseygal

DIS Veteran
Read and heard WARNINGS about keeping suitcases and any valuables
in trunks or visible areas of cars, SUV's, minivans while traveling to Honolulu,
Waikiki Beach, Northshore areas and areas around Aulani...:surfweb

I have heard that car break ins for thefts of valuables, even suitcases with just clothes has been on the rise!:furious:

BE CAREFUL AND DILIGENT WITH SUITCASES/VALUABLES IN LOCKED CARS FOR THOSE TRAVELING TO AULANI AND THE SURROUNDING AREAS!:scared1::scared1:

I've read about this too and it will make it difficult to do anything on our in between day when we check out of our Wyndham timeshare and into Aulani. Hoping we can leave our bags at the Wyndham, do what we want to do in town and then return to pick up our bags and head over to Aulani in the afternoon.

About 5 years ago my brother and his wife had their rental car stolen on Oahu. it is an island, and it makes you wonder what the thieves did with it. the property crime rate in Hawaii is pretty high compared to other states, but violent crime is very low.

So these break-ins- do they happen when someone leaves something visible in the car or is it random?

We want to store out luggage and items in the trunk while we are snorkeling at Hanauma Bay (we are in between resorts that morning. Having just checked out of our Waikiki hotel but before we head to Aulani to check in). We won't leave anything visible inside the car. So is this an okay thing to do or would someone still break in with nothing visible?

About 5 years ago my brother and his wife had their rental car stolen on Oahu. it is an island, and it makes you wonder what the thieves did with it. the property crime rate in Hawaii is pretty high compared to other states, but violent crime is very low.

We used to live on Oahu. The stolen vehicle rate is very high. A lot of the vehicles are shipped off island on container ships to other countries.

So much for the "Polynesian Paradise" promoters give the 50th state. And Disney thought it just had guest security concerns when the DCL ships dock in Nassua....:rolleyes2

What is the parking like at Pearl Harbor? We are hoping to do this the morning we get in, so will have our bags with us. Is it a gated/paid entrance? I'm hoping that since it is a government run facility that it is more safe? Or am I just fooling myself?

Don't do it!
Hanauma Bay is the worst place to leave items in the car.

That kind of what I thought. Just wanted to check and see what you guys thought. We'll play it safe and leave our luggage at the hotel bell desk/storage and then return and pick it up on the way out to Aulani.

I'll have my purse and the kids will have their electronics, so I'll think we'll just put all that locked up in a suitcase that we'll leave at the hotel as well.

We were planning to rent a car and then stop at a local grocery store on the way out to Aulani. Is this a safe thing to do ( we've seen several posts relating to car break-ins)?

We have been there many times. Left our stuff in the trunk of our car without a problem. We have been to Pearl Harbor and waimai falls among other places.

Although this isn't Aulani related, does anyone know if Maui is safer? Specifically Kaanapali area?

Every island, every beach will warn against this. Some are worse than others but think of it this way - you're on vacation, in a rental car, and most likely have valuables (money, cameras, etc) so it's a "target rich environment".

We'll usually have a gear bag and I'll use a bag lock and a bike chain. In most (but not all) cases the thief wants a quick and easy strike so this doesn't prevent theft but makes it a lower percentage.

Maybe it is because I grew up in a big city, but I never have been robbed or had my car broken into. Anything that can go in a rental car when sightseeing should also fit into a backpack.

Criminals will go for the easy mark and the quick score.

Don't leave anything of any value in sight at any time.

It happens anywhere, especially when criminals sense that someone has vacation brain.

My neighbor laughed when he saw three locks on my front door and the auto timer to put the lights on at sunset. I replied, I can't prevent everything, but will make it as hard to break in as possible, so they may move on.

We came home from a vacation and I noticed some marks on my door. They tried to get in, but could not get through the three locks. I asked my neighbor if he had seen anything and he informed me his house was broken into the same time that ours was attempted. He now has 3 locks on his door...

I guess these are "desperate times" as they say!

Very SCARY...Crimes of Opportunity!

We were very careful when we were on vacation! We are very careful anyway with our homes, cars, children, etc....Can never be too sure these days!

THANKS to the person who gave a "warning" about car thefts while visiting Hawaii...:) Would RUIN a vacation having suitcases stolen and break in to a rental car...Who wants to deal with any of that!

Better SAFE than SORRY!:sad1:

I guess these are "desperate times" as they say!

Very SCARY...Crimes of Opportunity!

We were very careful when we were on vacation! We are very careful anyway with our homes, cars, children, etc....Can never be too sure these days!

THANKS to the person who gave a "warning" about car thefts while visiting Hawaii...:) Would RUIN a vacation having suitcases stolen and break in to a rental car...Who wants to deal with any of that!

Better SAFE than SORRY!:sad1:

The rental car break in's have been an issue in Hawaii since I lived there in the early 90's...not so much desperate times...more like a way of life for some.

What is the parking like at Pearl Harbor? We are hoping to do this the morning we get in, so will have our bags with us. Is it a gated/paid entrance? I'm hoping that since it is a government run facility that it is more safe? Or am I just fooling myself?

It's an open lot, it's free ((or was?)) I'd not leave anything visible.

There is a bag check ($3) available on the right before you enter Pearl Harbor. We left our valuables there. There is a sign at the entrance warning that it is a high theft area. You can take any valuables in with you if they fit in your pockets, just no bags.

February 2013 - 2 adult couples traveling together and staying at Aulani. Visited the Northshore prior to attending a national surfing competition (also on the Northshore but closer to Aulani). We were never more than 100 yards from our car. The locked trunk was broken into, 2 iPhones, 1 flip phone, husbands wallet, friends entire purse stolen. Police called to file a report. We were told for the thieves, this is a way of life. They are into and out of your car in 20 seconds or less. While making the report, friends Visa card was being used at a gas station! Obviously all credit cards were immediately cancelled - but - what a hassle! My best advice: carry with you only what you will need on any given day and never let it leave your person. Just because it's in a locked trunk does not keep it safe!
The irony of this particular incident is that everything except the cc that was used to purchase gasoline and the cash was 'dropped off' at Aulani later in the day. All photos, additional cc's, husbands DVC member card were all intact. When reporting this to the police - a first for them - we decided at least we were robbed by thieves with a conscience.
Just be careful and extra diligent. We never did get to the surfing championship.....

Thanks...Due to all the warnings and discussion on here, we were ultra careful about NOT leaving ANYTHING in car!

Sorry that you had to go through that awful experience on a wonderful vaca!:scared1:

THANKS for SHARING!:thumbsup2:cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter