RCI All Inclusive Hard Rock Resort Cancun?

jerseygal

DIS Veteran
Never booked RCI before. DH and I are interested in doing an RCI booking for all inclusive Hard Rock Resort in Cancun for 2020, NOT spring break or any school breaks. Seems to get excellent reviews for food, as some AI food is sub par at many AI resorts.
Never been to Cancun. Don't plan to leave resort roaming around far(don't have to, since it is AI), just interested in relaxing for a week, not interested in bar hopping, etc like many younger people who vacation in Cancun. Youngest DS was in Cancun,he walked by the HR and said it looked very nice.
Anyone here familiar with the HR Cancun?:scratchinThey are running a promotion, for a 7 night stay, 3 nights of the AI fee was free if paid more than 30 days from check in, considerable savings for 2, over $1500 savings on AI Fees. Seems like a fun non DVC vaca.:banana:
Thanks in advance for any info!:disrocks:

Last edited:
I don’t have any experience but can suggest you post on the Timeshare Users Group Mexican Timesharing forum at https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?forums/mexico-timesharing.25/.

One note: I’ve read more than once that the AI fee when exchanging in via RCI can be as much or more than simply paying cash. So you might want to investigate that too, unless you have some DVC points that will go to waste otherwise.
Thanks for your response. Funny you should mention that, I was thinking of researching the cost of the trip paying cash and comparing.

Did learn something new today related to Travelex DVC insurance covering RCI bookings. In order for the travel insurance to cover RCI, you either have to have the Travelex insurance for that particular use year that you are using points to make your RCI insurance OR purchasecthe Travelex Insurance on the day you book the RCI vacation, no exceptions, cannot be done after you book the RCI vaca for the coverage to apply to the RCI booking.

Did learn something new today related to Travelex DVC insurance covering RCI bookings. In order for the travel insurance to cover RCI, you either have to have the Travelex insurance for that particular use year that you are using points to make your RCI insurance OR purchasecthe Travelex Insurance on the day you book the RCI vacation, no exceptions, cannot be done after you book the RCI vaca for the coverage to apply to the RCI booking.

Good to know! Thanks for adding to my knowledge base!

We just got back from HR Riviera Maya, and stayed at HR Punta Cana via RCI using DVC points in May 2017. Both have great food and amenities, but HR Punta Cana is by far better than the HR Riviera Maya. Not sure about HR Cancun as we didn't stay at that one. Be prepared for it to take a while travelling around the area though if you decide to do any tours. We went on the Chichen Itza tour of the Mayan ruins, but it's about a 2 - 2.5 hour drive from the resort strip of Cancun.

If you end up going and liking it after a day or two, ask if you can sit in on the membership presentation. It takes a few hours out of one day, but you get around RCI's Rule of 4 by getting the discounted rate at other Hard Rock AI's. Also, if you mention that you have DVC, they will cut the presentation short because they know the DVC membership is far better than what they offer. We've now sat in on the presentation at both resorts, and received a discounted 8 day, 7 night vacation at the end. In my opinion, it's worth it.

Emaurice, great tip! We don’t mind sitting through presentations if there is an attractive offer! Yes, I have read that the tour of the Mayan ruins is very nice, but far. Glad to hear that Punta Cana was nice, have also heard very favorable reviews. Curious, did the HR Punta Cana give you unlimited resort credits to use since you were booking on an RCI reservation? I was told that through Dec 31 2020, you could use the resort credits toward things like spa, massages motorized water sports , but there is a 25percent tax. So, if you use the resort credit toward a $80 massage, you pay on checkout a mandatory tax of $20. Thanks in advance for any info!

We did not have unlimited. I think back in May 2017 we had $1,600 or $1,800. We didn't use all of it during our 4 day stay. We did use all of the $1,800 we had this past time, but that included tours, the spa, and bali beds with champagne service. So if you are foregoing tours, you will have more than enough credits. We paid 20% on the all-inclusive both times. I know they recently raised the price to 25%, but that also has to do with when you booked and when you're travelling. I haven't looked into that quite yet for our next trip. But the way you set out the massage is correct if it is at 25% now.

Also, when you go, make sure you have a Visa card. Some other cards run weird with the conversion to pesos. We had issues with American Express, and they overcharged for the conversion (Amex must charge to convert to foreign currency, but when we got home we asked if they could be waived and Amex waived the fees - those should be absorbed by HR). We never had this issue in Punta Cana, but we did at Riviera Maya. So I'm assuming the same problem will occur at HR Cancun. Preferably, go to your bank and ask them what the best way is to do the conversion - such as, exchanging some at home and having the rest available on a card. The exchange rates are all over the place down there, and some places are straight-up rip-offs. HR always posts the daily conversion, so you know they're at least following the right exchange rates.

Emaurice, no problem, we have Visa cards. Hadn’t thought of the conversion aspect, I will touch base with Visa on that, we have a Disney Visa. Thanks for the detailed information!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter