RBC Westjet World Elite Mastercard - Anyone?

I have recently taken this card and was curious as to how to redeem the free checked bag. Is it done when you check in? Do you have to show your card? How does this work?
Thanks

I love my WJ MasterCard. I have had it for over a year now. After receiving the $250 bonus and free companion flight, I booked DS and myself a flight to British Columbia. I paid less than the cost of one regular priced flight. Like someone else mentioned the only downfall is that you have to call to book when using the companion flight and then you cannot access it online. I hate to pay the price of WJs advanced seat selection and so like to watch the flight to see how full the seats are getting - I wasn't able to do that because of making the reservation through the call centre (although I could still do it by taking the time to do a mock booking up to seat selection).
There is no free companion flight, its still 99, plus your 99 yearly fee, plus the tax on the flight. So yes you are getting a cheaper flight but not free.

There is no free companion flight, its still 99, plus your 99 yearly fee, plus the tax on the flight. So yes you are getting a cheaper flight but not free.

Well, excuse me, yes, it was $99 plus tax, don't know why I said "free", I guess just because my companion flight was so much cheaper than regular price that I considered it to be free lol. Scheesh!!!

I have recently taken this card and was curious as to how to redeem the free checked bag. Is it done when you check in? Do you have to show your card? How does this work?
Thanks

I had been told by the customer service rep on the phone that I would need to show my card at the airport but when I arrived at the check-in desk I was not required to show it so I assume it was noted on my reservation in the computer.

No worries Jtdl, just wanted to make sure that people know that the flight is actually $198 plus the taxes. \still a good deal depending on time of year and distance. The other great thing is that is for any class equal to the original seat. So fly the plus and same price or WestJets idea of 1st class and same price, that is the real deal.

For those keeping track - we ordered the cards on Friday the 4th and they arrived yesterday. Very shiny.

My card arrived two days ago - but I only flipped to the regular Westjet card, not the Elite. So at least it's better than nothing!

And I was able to do it online via the "change my card type" selection on my account page.

Made our first small purchase on it yesterday to trigger the bonuses. Will see how long until they arrive.

Got my card back in August and put my WDW/DisneyCruise vacation on there. Got the $250 bonus plus another $130 or so in WJ$ and used the $99 companion fee to book my flights last night - checked this morning and it would be even cheaper to fly out the next morning @ 7am as opposed to the night before at 9pm.

Called in and switched my tickets (no fee if you change within 24 hours).

Going to cost $1080 for four of us to fly return from Toronto to Orlando. Cheaper than flying out of Buffalo!

Got my card back in August and put my WDW/DisneyCruise vacation on there. Got the $250 bonus plus another $130 or so in WJ$ and used the $99 companion fee to book my flights last night - checked this morning and it would be even cheaper to fly out the next morning @ 7am as opposed to the night before at 9pm.

Called in and switched my tickets (no fee if you change within 24 hours).

Going to cost $1080 for four of us to fly return from Toronto to Orlando. Cheaper than flying out of Buffalo!

When you called in to book the $99 companion fare, did you book the 3rd and 4th ticket on the same call and was the fare for those additional tickets the same as the on line fare? I know some airlines charge a fee for booking over the phone, but Not sure about Westjet.

When you called in to book the $99 companion fare, did you book the 3rd and 4th ticket on the same call and was the fare for those additional tickets the same as the on line fare? I know some airlines charge a fee for booking over the phone, but Not sure about Westjet.

You can book your additional passengers at the same time, with no additional fee, but they do have to book them on a separate itinerary (they'll still get the free bag). It's a bit inconvenient, since you then have two itineraries to manage at check-in, but the only time it's likely to be a serious problem is when a single adult is travelling with multiple young children. I did this with my 6 and 9 year olds last year; the 6 year old was booked as my companion, and the 9 year old was booked on her own itinerary, with a note linking it to mine. I got the impression that if she was younger (below the minimum age for an unaccompanied minor, perhaps?) it might have been a bigger issue.

The companion flights have to be booked within the a year timeline is that correct? Kind of like an 'anniversary of my card' sort of deal? I don't have that piece in my head yet. I got the card last January, but my original flight booked isn't for another month. I think that I have to book the $99 flight by the end of January.

Follow up to my Sept 19 post about making our first purchase. Just got email that our $99 voucher and sign up bonus WJ $ are now available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter