Random Musings From Aulani

DVC member - Aulani seems "free" to us.
Good answer! Yes, we are also DVC members so the "cost" of Aulani is kind of a nebulous concept. But still, I' generally aware of the cash price (very high) for a studio or 1BR at Aulani so there is some basis for comparison.

We have been to Hawaii twice and stayed at non-Disney locations. Have you ever compared your Aulani price to other locations and/or have you ever stayed somewhere else?
Yes on both accounts. As an LA native, Hawaii has always been a relatively nearby vacation spot, so I’ve been here many times and stayed on all the islands. There are other beautiful, luxury hotels, but I’ve found that they’re all pretty much the same. Nice pool, nice beach, nice restaurants. And, like Aulani, maybe a nice beach path connecting all the hotels in the area together. And that’s about it…other than driving around whatever island you’re on for a day or two to see what’s there.

What I like about Aulani is that it has all that, plus all the fun and energy of the pools, lazy river, and slides, as well as the lagoons, which are unusual and for us a great place to swim and exercise. For us, the Disney overlay is a fun, added bonus that’s not overwhelming, and there are still nice, quiet places to read and relax. Ko Olina, also, is it’s own little world, and it feels like you’re on another island….though you have the energy, sights, shopping, dining and multiple hikes and activities of Honolulu, Oahu and the North Shore available a short drive away if you want. So for us it’s the best of both worlds.

Price wise, all the beach hotels here are very pricey and frankly I haven’t crunched the numbers. That said, we absolutely love the one bedroom ocean views at Aulani, but would never even consider accommodations that large for my wife and I anyplace else in Hawaii because on a cash, non DVC basis, for two weeks, the price would be monstrously expensive. Knowing that I can sell my points for more than I bought, at least so far, leaving the maintenance fees as the only cost, is a big plus. Of course that doesn’t count the opportunity cost, but, whatever, it’s DVC!

We were in 781 last week, a dedicated Island/Garden view 2 bedroom. Below (2nd pic) was our view. Last time (2021) we were 7 floors above this in 1475 (first pic). Love these “Island/Garden” view rooms… plus we get to see the Luau 5 times a week for free…

97EB5A61-11FB-4855-AE65-3BA732B750C0.jpeg

9F985BAF-09CA-4DB0-B848-CAC2A190D9E0.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter