Rainy day at AoA?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by WiscoMom, May 16, 2018.

1. WiscoMom

WiscoMom Earning My Ears

Hi! DS (3 year old) and I will be at AoA this Friday-Monday. I'm watching the weather forecast. We're prepared to be flexible and have fun no matter what.

Worst case (washout rains), what in door activities could we do at AoA to stay busy?

TIA!

2. jpeterson

jpeterson DIS Veteran

There is a drawing class in the lobby, but that might be too advanced for a 3 year old. Other than that, there isn't much except browse the gift shop/food court. There isn't a lot of indoor space, to be honest.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. SharonZ

SharonZ DIS Veteran

Not much, especially for a 3 year old.

5. WiscoMom

WiscoMom Earning My Ears

I only have park tickets for 2 days (based on arrival and departure flights). Outside of time in parks, would Disney Springs offer more for an extended rainy period?

6. cassie58

cassie58 DIS Veteran

Unfortunately, Disney Springs is mostly shops and restaurants, like a large outdoor mall, where you would have to "run through the raindrops" to get from place to place. DD14 and I had to do this in Nov., as we stopped on our last day before we were flying out, and got stuck in a storm. There is the T-Rex restaurant and RainForest Cafe if your DS would be into one of those for a meal, which would provide some things to look at, and the Lego store next to T-Rex. (T-Rex and Lego store are fairly close to where bus drops you off, just pass all the high end stores, so a better choice if it is raining - just would want to call ahead or make an ADR on your app to make sure you could get in to eat). T-Rex has a Build-A-Bear Dinosaur set-up inside. Also there is a bowling alley with a restaurant(Splitsville) and movie theater on the West Side area - probably not what you had in mind at Disney, but just some other options! If it's not torrential, you could also consider taking the bus to MK, and riding the monorail, stopping at each resort to explore( a little more of a pain now probably w/going through security multiple times, but ok if you are not in a rush!), and maybe grabbing something to eat over there - I know a lot of kids love riding the monorail anyway!

You could always try the animation class if you think DS might sit through it and enjoy just having fun trying to draw something, and then eat at the food court. You could also make up a fun scavenger hunt around the lobby/gift shop/food court to spot different characters since there are so many illustrations on the walls(don't know if you have been before) and end in the gift shop or food court, and let him pick out a small item or dessert.

WiscoMom likes this.
  7. Walt4ever

Walt4ever Earning My Ears

I think all the resorts (all the ones we've stayed in anyway), have various activities, some that are arts & crafts, that they do throughout the week, usually themed to the resort. For example, seems like I've seen tie-dye activities on the PopCentury calendar. The activity calendar is usually posted in elevator areas, but you can ask at front desk or concierge if you don't find one. Kennythepirate website has all of them for May, but here is the one for AoA specifically: http://www.kennythepirate.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/aoa_recreation_Page_1.jpg

cassie58 and WiscoMom like this.