Raglan Road (and Expedition Everest)

SimonV

Proud to have called Bob Varley 'friend'
Hi there folks. We've just paid our first visit(s) to the new Raglan Road Irish pub, which is right by the entrance to Pleasure island at DD, and quite an eye-opening experience it was, too. Having been in plenty of derivative "Irish" themed pubs in America, many of which think nailing an Irish tricolour to the bar and serving Guinness is all it takes, this is a real breath of fresh air. It is also HUGE, with four distinct bar areas, a central room with live music, two outdoor terraces (with their own bar) and an adjoining fish-and-chippie (operated by Cooke's of Dublin). Much of the interior has been salvaged from old pubs throughout Ireland (the wood panelling, bar tops, pillars and artwork) and the decor has been put together quite superbly, with much to see and admire. There is a choice of 11 draft beers (including Murphy's as well as Guinness) and authentic live music every night (from 9pm) except Sundays (for the moment). The pub is the brainchild of Dublin pub/restaurateurs John Cooke and Paul Nolan, who really know their subject, and they have obviously lavished a small fortune on the place. The menu has been put together by top Irish chef Kevin Dundon and features some really imaginative twists on typical dishes like Shepherd's Pie, Fish and Chips, Oven-Roasted Bacon (the signature dish) and 'It's Not Bleedin' Chowder' (!!). Kevin's version of bread pudding is simply one of the best desserts we have tried anywhere in town and is an absolute MUST try, even if you have nothing else! The down side? We found it a bit chilly (not something you'd normally associate with a pub) and cavernous in the Grand Room (where the live music is), while the prices are more Disney than Dublin ($6.50 a pint and $9 for a Bailey's with ice!!). There is also, of course, no smoking inside. A 3-course meal for two will run at least $60 (without drinks), and even the Shepherd's Pie is not a cheap option at $14.95. But the quality IS first-class and it was certainly busy enough on a Tuesday evening to make it thoroughly enjoyable. There is no charge (as with the clubs of PI), and you can decide whether to seat yourself in the pub or ask for a table. The separate fish-and-chippie came as a real surprise and is much better value at $10 for a very generous portion of freshly-cooked cod and chips, which you can then eat indoors, at a separate outdoor terrace or just take away with you.

On a separate note, the new Expedition Everest at Animal Kingdom is now in full test mode (although not yet with guest passengers, sadly) and you can see the trains whizzing around outside what is now a magnificent recreation of the 'Himalayas' (the clever perspective make the mountainous landscape look much taller than its actual 199ft). The queuing area is open to outside view and also looks stunning, with an absolute wealth of detail. The overall effect is quite mouth-watering from a ride-lover's point of view and anyone going from April 2006 onwards can look forward to something really special.

Thanks for the information Simon :)

It's got me all excited thinking about our next trip now :bounce:

As I'm leaving tomorrow (did I mention this somewhere before lol) I'll keep an eye out for everest and the pub, sounds good :Pinkbounc

hope it go`s well for them as when we stayed in Aug we were at SSR and while i was in the pool with my Guinnes hat on a lady asked me what part of Ireland i was from told here that i was`nt the hat a gift form inlaws who run a st patricks working mens club.She told me her husband was building an irish pub in florida the one at DD it was due to open that week but due to the storms in june no one could work that month as it was all gound work in the open and risk of lightning.She asked me about the fish and chip shop at the rose and crown as we had visited there that day told her that i was disapointed with it soggy chips she told me about the outside chippy they were planing on also they where going to build at california first but disney in florida offered them the place at DD so they built it there insted
Paulh

Thanks for the latest info

thanks everyone. So glad we are staying at SSR so we can stagger "home"

Susan

SimonV said:
Hi there folks. We've just paid our first visit(s) to the newRoom (where the live music is), while the prices are more Disney than Dublin ($6.50 a pint and $9 for a Bailey's with ice!!).

Nice review :earsboy:

BTW those prices sound exactly the same as Dublin, it's dead expensive over here for drinks!

Hi all
Myself and the family visited in late october-the irish bar is good but i cant help feeling it would do a roaring trade if they had a promotion for the european guests!
Im a family man -but a family man who likes a few beers-i dont think this is catered for in the kissimmee area?.
All the same i gotta admit it was very impressive.
Dave

sounds like fun...are kids welcome ?? If yes up till what time?

Janie
:)

Must admit that Expedition Everest (Not the Glazing Company I might add...Fit the Best n all that) looked rather impressive, i managed to avoid taking a pic of it as I did with most of the tree of life D'oh!. $10 for a decent meal (in this case Fish n Chips) always sounds reasonable whilst abroad but yesterday I was moaning at paying £2 for my Fave Jumbo Sausage Chips Peas and Gravy. :rolleyes1

Yes, it is a family environment and children are still welcome, as they are in any pub/restaurant, although this is primarily still a drinking establishment, so it is up to parents to work out what is appropriate in each case. There is a full children's menu, too.

Does anyone know when everest "official" opens? implanning on going at some point next year and can be flexible with my dates - id really like it to be open!

Hi there Laura. There is no official date yet for EE; Disney have refused to put an official opening date on their big E-ticket rides for a few years now since they had to postpone Test Track a number of times. They will probably make it official sometime in the New Year, but our best guess is they would like to have the official opening on April 22, which would be the Animal Kingdom's 8th birthday. There is some (well-informed) speculation that the ride itself will be in soft opening as early as February.

Thanks SimonV-- I'm sold, we're going to visit in December. I'll be bringing my Dad, a Brit... will he be pleased?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter