Questions for visually impaired - arriving May 3

madonna31

<font color=9999FF>WDWWDS Entertainment VP<br><fon
Hello all!

I stopped in here about 6 months ago - asking questions about my mother who is newly visually impaired with type 2 diabetes.

We will be arriving at the Polynesian on Saturday for a 2 week stay.

I have a few questions that I would love some help on and/or any additional tips/information that you may be able to provide in order to make this Disney stay a GREAT one.

First of all:

1) Is is true that you can get a wheelchair at the resort upon check to use for your length of stay?
2) Anyone have any suggestions of room requests for the Poly, as we have never stayed there (we have a garden view room)
3) What do I need in order to get a GAC? Do I need one seperate one for each park - or will I be able to use the same for the full 2-week visit?
4) I read somewhere that the first aid at each park allows guests to come in to take their insulin shot - can anyone here confirm or has used this service?

Thanks so much in advance for your time and answers. Once again - any further comments that may help us will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks! :D

Hope you have a great trip. I can answer some of your questions:

1) Is is true that you can get a wheelchair at the resort upon check to use for your length of stay?
It is true, but there is a but involved. The wheelchairs are not guaranteed and are first come, first served, so it's possible that the wheelchair that is available won't meet your needs (like an extra wide, when you need a regular or vise versa). You can call WDW Resort Special Reservations:
(407) 939-7807 for assistance/questions. You might also want to take along contact info for one of the outside rental places (just in case).
2) Anyone have any suggestions of room requests for the Poly, as we have never stayed there (we have a garden view room)
I've never stayed there, so no suggestions. Maybe just think of what would be important/useful to you so you have a clear idea when talking to the check in CM.
3) What do I need in order to get a GAC? Do I need one seperate one for each park - or will I be able to use the same for the full 2-week visit?
Your mom can request a GAC at Guest Services at any of the parks. It will be good at all the parks and they will usually issue it for your whole length of stay. You won't need anything except an idea of what sorts of things might cause your mom problems. If you are going to be using a wheelchair, she may not need a GAC, since she will be using the wheelchair entrances for rides with things like stairs and moving walkways. Except for Peter Pan, they can slow down or even stop the moving walkways. Ask a CM when you are going into a show where the wheelchair seating is. In many shows, the wheelchair seating is in the back row. Some shows also have seating in the front (the live shows), but the number of seats in the front are limited. Think about what other assistance she would need that would not be met by just having a wheelchair and ask about those for a GAC.
4) I read somewhere that the first aid at each park allows guests to come in to take their insulin shot - can anyone here confirm or has used this service?
We don't use this service, but I can confirm that it is true. They will store insulin, dispose of syringes and they have extra syringes, alcohol, etc if you need them.

A couple of additional items

If you are contacting Special Reservations ((407) 939-7807) for assistance, explain to them the medical necessiity for a small refrigerator to store the insulin. Normally if they set it up there is no charge while a direct request to the hotel will get you one but at $10.00 per day.

When I know I will not be around my room when I need insulin, I will pre-load a syringe with the correct dose, wrap the top of the main portion (NOT the plunnger) with an alcohol swab in its packet to keep it from moving, and put it in a toothbrush holder. If I will be in a park al day I will then leave that with First Aid and go there when I need to use it. All of their rooms have Sharps Containers.

I found the idea of the toothbrush holder especially useful when we went with some friends to a show and then dinner afterwards. As the show let out I went to the restroom (handicap stall which has more room) and gave myself the shot so my timing was correct.

You might want to check with one of the outside services about a wheelchair. That way you are sure of having one for the entire stay and it will be the correct size (nd probably better condition than one of the resort chairs. Information on outside sources is:

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee 407-892-4777
http://randysmobility.com/

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html

I have used Walker a few times for ECV rentals. They will ask for a credit card and charge it the day before arrival. They will deliver the chair to your hotel bell services before your arrival and pick it up there after your departure. Their rates, especially for longer than a week, are much better than Disney's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter