Question about the Disney + streaming

monica9

DIS Veteran
My husband heard he can get a discount for the Disney + streaming through a d23 account. He also said that I can get a d23 account without a membership? Anyone know how to create an account for d23 if we don’t have a membership? Or other ways to get a discount for the Disney + streaming? Thanks

I signed up for a general account last night and the offer was on my account this morning. Less than 12 hours.

Just go to d23 dot com, hit “join,” select “general member” and then it will ask if you have other Disney accounts. If you do you sign in with that, if not just make an account.

My husband heard he can get a discount for the Disney + streaming through a d23 account. He also said that I can get a d23 account without a membership? Anyone know how to create an account for d23 if we don’t have a membership? Or other ways to get a discount for the Disney + streaming? Thanks
You can join as a general member for free. It may take a while (24 hours?) for the offer to be available and you have to order the three years of service by tomorrow.

Any idea what the discounted rate will be? (edited to add, I signed up so I hope to get the offer soon. OP--thanks for posting this question and info!)

@havaneselover , have you seen any Disney Streaming offers via Swagbucks?
I thought I had read somewhere that Disney Streaming was going to be offered with Hulu for one rate, but I could be mistaken.

Last edited:

Any idea what the discounted rate will be?

@havaneselover , have you seen any Disney Streaming offers via Swagbucks?
I thought I had read somewhere that Disney Streaming was going to be offered with Hulu for one rate, but I could be mistaken.
I saw that it was going to be offered with Hulu and ESPN + for $13/month. I haven't seen any SB offers yet.

So current pricing will be $7/month. If you pay for 3 years up front it's $140 + tax. So you're basically getting one year for free.

Anyone even kinda considering this needs to sign up for a D23 account today. It takes until the next day/morning for the offer to show and the offer is slated to end Sept 2. And remember you can sign up for the free D23 account and still get the deal.

Anyone even kinda considering this needs to sign up for a D23 account today. It takes until the next day/morning for the offer to show and the offer is slated to end Sept 2. And remember you can sign up for the free D23 account and still get the deal.
I'm sort of on the fence. I think I'll get it because dd wants it. But annoyed it won't work on my samsung tv.

I'm sort of on the fence. I think I'll get it because dd wants it. But annoyed it won't work on my samsung tv.
I hear you! If you have a chrome cast you can use that to watch it on your Samsung TV since Disney+ will be Chromecast compatible. (I’ve found it to be a handy workaround for the various times I’m sick of fighting with my Samsung Netflix and Hulu apps as well.)

Were you able to go on and receive the offer? I've been trying for the last half-hour and I can't get the page to pop up. I've been a general member for years and I know I saw the offer earlier but now when I go in it tells me to click on my account and then there should be something to sign up for the offer their and there is not.

Were you able to go on and receive the offer? I've been trying for the last half-hour and I can't get the page to pop up. I've been a general member for years and I know I saw the offer earlier but now when I go in it tells me to click on my account and then there should be something to sign up for the offer their and there is not.

I think I saw it in my profile.

What part won't work on Samsung? We have:
a Samsung Smart TV that we mostly control with Apple TV
a traditional Panasonic TV that we use with Roku

We decided today not to do the D23 offer since DH would like the ESPN option, but I had not read anything about Disney + capability.

What part won't work on Samsung? We have:
a Samsung Smart TV that we mostly control with Apple TV
a traditional Panasonic TV that we use with Roku

We decided today not to do the D23 offer since DH would like the ESPN option, but I had not read anything about Disney + capability.
My understanding is there won't be an app available on Samsung Smart TVs. So I'll have to buy a roku stick or something to be able to watch Disney + in my family room.

You will find that more and more streaming services are going to bail on TVs providing the platform. With the Roku, AppleTV, Chomecast they have found platforms that are updated and more flexible and easier to work with. IMHO the "Smart TV" is going to die and become just a monitor. The FireTV is in question if it's going to stream or not.

When/if you reconsider make you you know what is included (or not) with the ESPN+ one you know what is excluded it may not be a deal breaker.

ESPN+ has been conceived as an add-on to ESPN's current cable coverage, it lacks access to any of the content on ESPN's core channels, including ESPN, ESPN 2, and ESPN Classic.

You will find that more and more streaming services are going to bail on TVs providing the platform. With the Roku, AppleTV, Chomecast they have found platforms that are updated and more flexible and easier to work with. IMHO the "Smart TV" is going to die and become just a monitor. The FireTV is in question if it's going to stream or not.

When/if you reconsider make you you know what is included (or not) with the ESPN+ one you know what is excluded it may not be a deal breaker.

ESPN+ has been conceived as an add-on to ESPN's current cable coverage, it lacks access to any of the content on ESPN's core channels, including ESPN, ESPN 2, and ESPN Classic.

Thanks for that info. I did assume it was traditional ESPN and we would like it for NFL. I think we will reconsider the D23 offer, as it seems more flexible to subscribe to each platform separately.

I signed up for a general account last night and the offer was on my account this morning. Less than 12 hours.

Just go to d23 dot com, hit “join,” select “general member” and then it will ask if you have other Disney accounts. If you do you sign in with that, if not just make an account.
Thanks for directing me. I just signed up a minute ago. It says I am a member since 9/02/2019 which means it doesn’t go into effect until tomorrow. I wonder if that will hinder our change of being able to get the Disney + discount

Thanks for directing me. I just signed up a minute ago. It says I am a member since 9/02/2019 which means it doesn’t go into effect until tomorrow. I wonder if that will hinder our change of being able to get the Disney + discount
I did it about 9pm last night and it said Sept. 1, 2019. When I checked the account around 5am the offer was there. The “official” offer email didn’t come until around 9am. I would just check under your account in the morning. I think you’ll be fine.

For those with smart tv's that don't want to deal with buying something else to watch stuff through you should be able to screen share from your smartphone. I do this with youtube and some other apps often with both my samsung and lg tvs. I have an android phone so I don't know that it's something you can do with an iphone but it's super easy. My phone's on wifi anyway. The only downside is any notifications you get will pop up on the tv too but this doesn't bother me since it's easier and cheaper than buying yet another product.

Another thing I will sometimes do if I'm having issues with the youtube app is access it via the web on the tv. It's tedious the first time you type the web address in but if you mark it as a favorite it's a bit quicker. I don't know if disney + will only be app based or if it'll also have access via the website but it's another thing to consider.

For those with smart tv's that don't want to deal with buying something else to watch stuff through you should be able to screen share from your smartphone. I do this with youtube and some other apps often with both my samsung and lg tvs. I have an android phone so I don't know that it's something you can do with an iphone but it's super easy. My phone's on wifi anyway. The only downside is any notifications you get will pop up on the tv too but this doesn't bother me since it's easier and cheaper than buying yet another product.

Another thing I will sometimes do if I'm having issues with the youtube app is access it via the web on the tv. It's tedious the first time you type the web address in but if you mark it as a favorite it's a bit quicker. I don't know if disney + will only be app based or if it'll also have access via the website but it's another thing to consider.
Awesome--dd can figure this out. She's the one who will watch it. I went ahead and subscribed. No tax in VA so it was $140.97.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter