Question about rider switch on flight of passage animal kingdom

Riley11

Earning My Ears
Hi, I need some help on this I’m a bit confused on rider switch. So here’s the situation, I have a family of 3 going to animal kingdom in the beginning of Feb. Me, DH, and DD (5). It’s our first time there and DH and I want to ride FoP but couldn’t get a FP for it, so we’re planning on rope dropping. DD passes the height requirement but we think she might not want to ride so we want to do rider switch.

My understanding so far was that everyone has to be present at the beginning of the ride que but if child is too small or doesn’t want to ride, then parent1 goes thru and parent2+child sit out. Later parent2 can come back and go thru Fastpass line for their turn. Hope I got that right. If not, can someone straighten me out?

But on top of that I’ve also read other info that if a child passes the height requirement, they have to go with parents through the entire line and wait with a parent just right outside the boarding area while the first parent rides.

Our aim is to try to have DD wait as little as possible in line.

So 2 questions:
-Can we still get a rider switch pass even if DD passes the height requirement?
-And depending on that, Im confused on where exactly the ride que starts where we have to tell a CM we want a rider switch pass. Is it just at the end of the whole line mass or do we have to reach a certain point first?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out!

@Riley11 - FYI, I moved your post to the Disney for Families board. Folks here will be able to address rider switch.

BTW, :welcome: to the DIS!

Hi, I need some help on this I’m a bit confused on rider switch. So here’s the situation, I have a family of 3 going to animal kingdom in the beginning of Feb. Me, DH, and DD (5). It’s our first time there and DH and I want to ride FoP but couldn’t get a FP for it, so we’re planning on rope dropping. DD passes the height requirement but we think she might not want to ride so we want to do rider switch.

My understanding so far was that everyone has to be present at the beginning of the ride que but if child is too small or doesn’t want to ride, then parent1 goes thru and parent2+child sit out. Later parent2 can come back and go thru Fastpass line for their turn. Hope I got that right. If not, can someone straighten me out?

But on top of that I’ve also read other info that if a child passes the height requirement, they have to go with parents through the entire line and wait with a parent just right outside the boarding area while the first parent rides.

Our aim is to try to have DD wait as little as possible in line.

So 2 questions:
-Can we still get a rider switch pass even if DD passes the height requirement?
-And depending on that, Im confused on where exactly the ride que starts where we have to tell a CM we want a rider switch pass. Is it just at the end of the whole line mass or do we have to reach a certain point first?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out!

They may allow you an actual rider swap pass, but more than likely, they will tell you that you'll have to swap at boarding. Typically, if someone is tall enough to enter the queue, the actual rider swap pass will not be granted, as there's no reason the child can't then wait in the queue. Regardless, explain that your child does not want to ride to the CM at the start of the line (before you enter the line). They will decide whether to grant the swap pass or to tell you to perform a swap at boarding. If told to do it at boarding, then all 3 of you would wait in line and when you get to boarding (where you are about to get on the ride- for FOP there will be a CM when you are about to go into the pre-show room), you tell the CM that you'd like to perform a swap there because she doesn't want to ride. One parent will ride while the other parent and child wait to the side (You will not be in the actual room the ride is in, so you won't be able to watch). When Parent 1 is done riding, parent 2 rides while Parent 1 can leave with the child (or possibly all wait for Parent 1 to get done and you all leave together, depending on what the CM instructs you to do).

If they were to grant the swap pass, then they would scan and add the pass to Parent 2's magic band at the beginning of the line before you enter it. Parent 1 would enter the line and ride while Parent 2 and child wait outside the line and do whatever they want. When Parent 1 is done riding, you meet up, and then Parent 2 would enter the FP line and ride.

To answer your questions, they may give you a RS. It depends on the Cast Member working. Sometimes they will give you one if you child who is tall enough to ride doesn't want to ride and sometimes they will not.

The person you request the RS from is at the entrance of the attraction.

With that being said, your daugther may not want to wait in the line at RD, but it may actually be more efficient for your day overall for you to do it the way the PP suggests. If you get there super early for RD and all get in line, you will probably save time in your day overall.

We had to switch off at the ride once because my then 7 year old freaked out when we got into the ride room and didn't want to ride. The CM took my daughter and me just outside the attraction and we waited for my husband to ride. Then I rode while he waited outside with her. P.S. She did ride FOP later in the trip, and it is now her favorite attraction.

Even using the RS, the FOP experience is a long one (it has two preshows) and is quite the hike and often has a decent line. It usually takes us 30-45 min to do it using FP or RS. We have two other kids and usually use RS. My mom was with us on the trip I was referring to earlier and stayed with the little ones. She may have to wait 30-45 min. for you all to both to do it once, but in the long run that may be more efficient than each of you waiting that long to go through the que separately. I know you can do other things with her during that time like ride Navi or get a snack but most times people don't want to leave the general area so you will likely end up waiting a bit. Who knows she may decide she wants to give it a try while in line? It really is a great attraction and is not scary at all.

Last edited:
Hi all, follow up to the above.

My family of four (me (rider 1), wife (rider 2), 2 yr old and 4 yr old) has one fastpass to FOP tomorrow. Both kids are too short to ride. Because the two kids are too short to ride, my understanding is that they will give my wife the rider switch at the beginning of the line when I swipe the Fastpass and the kids won't need to wait in line at all, correct?

Also, do you know when the window starts and ends for my wife (rider 2) to use rider switch? I've heard that the FOP line can take some time even with a fastpass, so is it only an hour from the time my wife (rider 2) is given the rider swap at the beginning of the line? If so, it seems that her window to use it wouldn't be more than a half hour, possibly less?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Hi all, follow up to the above.

My family of four (me (rider 1), wife (rider 2), 2 yr old and 4 yr old) has one fastpass to FOP tomorrow. Both kids are too short to ride. Because the two kids are too short to ride, my understanding is that they will give my wife the rider switch at the beginning of the line when I swipe the Fastpass and the kids won't need to wait in line at all, correct?

Also, do you know when the window starts and ends for my wife (rider 2) to use rider switch? I've heard that the FOP line can take some time even with a fastpass, so is it only an hour from the time my wife (rider 2) is given the rider swap at the beginning of the line? If so, it seems that her window to use it wouldn't be more than a half hour, possibly less?

Thanks!

They wouldn't give a rider pass until boarding when we went in...

If a child is too short to ride, they are not allowed to enter the line. Rider swap is loaded onto the magic band of Group 2 before anyone enters the line (so if using FP, the whole party would approach the CM at the FP scanner and the CM would load the rider swap onto the magic band). Then Group 1 enters the queue, rides, and comes back and Group 2 can ride. The swap at boarding occurs when someone is tall enough but does not wish to ride.

The rider swap window is supposed to be based on the expected wait of whatever line Group 1 enters. It's supposed to begin around when they expect Group 1 to be done riding and last for an hour. It doesn't begin when she gets the rider swap. FOP can often take 25-45 mins to get through in the FP line because of the pre-show. Your wife should still have roughly an hour after you get back to ride. Some people have said they didn't have an end time for their rider swap- not sure if that's a glitch or what. I would plan on having her ride shortly after you return, but there shouldn't be an issue with the rider swap time ending before you return.

If a child is too short to ride, they are not allowed to enter the line. Rider swap is loaded onto the magic band of Group 2 before anyone enters the line (so if using FP, the whole party would approach the CM at the FP scanner and the CM would load the rider swap onto the magic band). Then Group 1 enters the queue, rides, and comes back and Group 2 can ride. The swap at boarding occurs when someone is tall enough but does not wish to ride.

The rider swap window is supposed to be based on the expected wait of whatever line Group 1 enters. It's supposed to begin around when they expect Group 1 to be done riding and last for an hour. It doesn't begin when she gets the rider swap. FOP can often take 25-45 mins to get through in the FP line because of the pre-show. Your wife should still have roughly an hour after you get back to ride. Some people have said they didn't have an end time for their rider swap- not sure if that's a glitch or what. I would plan on having her ride shortly after you return, but there shouldn't be an issue with the rider swap time ending before you return.

Thank you! We are looking for things for the kids to do while the parents ride. Looks like best bets are the trails around Discovery Island and Oasis, and the drummers and the utility suit guy around Pandora.

Thank you! We are looking for things for the kids to do while the parents ride. Looks like best bets are the trails around Discovery Island and Oasis, and the drummers and the utility suit guy around Pandora.

Not sure if you'll see this or not before tomorrow, but there's so much to look at in Pandora that I bet your kids will be excited just looking at the scenery. My 2 year old was anyway. There are tons of cute spots to get pics of the kids in fun of neat things. Also, the gift shop has some unique things to look at and you can always grab a snack/drink. The non-alcoholic slushy thing in Pandora is sweet, but the kids loved it, especially the boba balls on top. Also, there are a couple Wilderness Explorers stations in Pandora if your kids have any interest in that. The education aspect might be a little advanced for them, but they may still enjoy getting their booklet stamped. Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!