Question about internet and phone usage while on an Alaska Wonder cruise

TeenaS

DIS Veteran
I always have my phone on airplane mode on Caribbean cruises since we are out in international waters. However, on the Wonder Alaska cruise, do we need to keep it on airplane mode since we are not very far out in the water? I don't want to get hit with extra charges. Thanks.

I did not really have cell phone reception until I got into ports (or was having so much fun I did not look at my phone) . I have t-mobile and have a plan that does not have roaming charges in Canada. You need to be sure on that it you are trying to use your phone as you will not be sure what towers the phone is picking up if you are not in the US, or even if you are in the US and close to the Canadian towers.

Thanks. I will keep it on airplane mode unless I am in an Alaska port. Better to be safe. I normally don't care but everyone wants daily pictures. Lol

Check your plan for North American coverage. I have T-Mobile which includes Canada and Mexico. We were in Alaska last summer and I had no issues anywhere, the entire duration of the trip. Was really convenient!

Thanks! My daughter's plan is Verizon unfortunately.
Why "unfortunately"? I have Verizon. I could use my phone while in port (it's the US, after all). While onboard the ship, the phone will hit through the onboard services. I've not heard of anyone being able to use shore based towers while onboard. Except, MAYBE, while docked in port, but if it's a US port, no problem.

Also used it in Canada last summer.

Thanks ...only said unfortunately because no one had said what their experience was with verizon. Really good to know.

I have an Unlimited plan with Verizon that includes Canada and Mexico. You should check if you have a similar plan!

Mexico & Canada​

Roaming in Mexico and Canada is included in all Unlimited Plans.”

While my phone has a pretty amazing camera, it stayed in the stateroom safe during sea days. My wife's relatively inexpensive digital camera has a far better zoom lens for getting close ups of the wildlife that line the passages you will be passing through.

Why "unfortunately"? I have Verizon. I could use my phone while in port (it's the US, after all). While onboard the ship, the phone will hit through the onboard services. I've not heard of anyone being able to use shore based towers while onboard. Except, MAYBE, while docked in port, but if it's a US port, no problem.

Actually on our Med cruise we often had cell service with shore based towers when onboard if we were close enough to the coast line. Especially the day we departed Mallorca we went halfway around the island after departure for several hours and had some sort of service. It kind of went in and out. So, the ship itself doesn’t prevent your phone to log into land based cell towers.

To the OP: since we were in port daily on our European cruise and we have European cell plans, we at first rarely put it in airplane mode during our cruise (also European plans will always have you to opt in to anything that costs you money for roaming, so no danger of surprise charges). What we noticed is that not being in airplane mode during the time on board did. drain the battery. So for that reason I recommend airplane mode once you leave the port.

OT question - how much is the internet on the wonder? Is it $36 per day, this is what it seems to indicate online

Yeah, Verizon here too. Worked fine in K, J and S (Vancouver too), but not at sea. It was a few years ago, so not sure if they have 5G by now. Did an internet cafe the pm at Skagway.

We were on the Wonder in Alaska on June 19-26. The largest package was like 100MB and was $80+. The Wonder doesn't have the daily packages or full-trip packages like the other boats. My husband bought the 100MB once, and even then the internet was spotty.

We were on the Wonder in Alaska on June 19-26. The largest package was like 100MB and was $80+. The Wonder doesn't have the daily packages or full-trip packages like the other boats. My husband bought the 100MB once, and even then the internet was spotty.
Was it enough for texts? I just want to keep in touch with my sister who is house sitting my dogs 😂😁

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!