Question about initial purchase from Disney?

Grumbo

DIS Veteran
If for example you want to buy 225 or 250 points as your initial purchase can you have two contracts of 150 and and second of 75 or 100?
Does this cost extra?

btw..

I called DVC today and lo and behold they still had my info on their computers when we were there a couple of years ago. Knew my info, DW's name etc. My "guide" is still there but was off today and will be calling me next week. I'm sure that he can answer alot of my smaller questions but a number of things that the initial person I spoke with today started to tell me things I had learned on here. She commented "You must have kept all of your literature as you seem to be up on most of this." (Probably trying to be nice but I think it will take years to be comfortable with all of the DVC nuances) I laughed and told her no actually I don't have a clue where all the papers are I received last time there but I have been reading on the internet and a DVC forum board.
Thanks guys,
Cheers,
Grumbo

Originally posted by Grumbo
I called DVC today and lo and behold they still had my info on their computers when we were there a couple of years ago.

Oh yeah! They track anyone who's had any contact at all....even if a guide just said "Bless You" when you sneezed. ;) ;)

Good luck with your decision. Feel free to keep asking questions here!

I would assume on a resale though you can't split the contract up though? Whatever amount is available for sale is what you have to purchase e.g IF on a resale 225 are offered you couldn't buy it all but one contract of 150 and one of 75? Would this only be available directly through Disney?
If you have two contracts from different resorts eg 150 at BCV and 75 at OKW I read somewhere, but am still vague on it that you couldn't use your 225 points 11 months out at one or the other? Would this not be a drawback for a trip where you want to book earlier? If this isn't the case could someone clarify please?
Cheers,
Grumbo

You can't split up a resale contract, you have to buy it "as is".

If you have 150 BCV & 75 OKW and you wanted to make a BCV reservation at 11 months, you could only use the 150 BCV points. At 7 months you could also use the 75 OKW points. You can bank or borrow to increase the amount available. For example, you could use 150 current BCV points and borrow up to 150 BCV points from the next year to make a reservation for BCV at 11 months.

Sometimes the contracts offered for resale are actually an original contract combined with an "add on" contract. If the seller is willing, those can be sold separately.

For example, we have an initial contract of 200 points and an add on contract of 50. I think of them as just one contract and if we ever sell (hard to even imagine at this point), we'll be listing it as a contract of 250 points.

You won't know the specifics of a resale until/unless you ask.

OK so from what I understand from this it is probably better (well easier to keep straight) to just stay with one "home resort"? Unless you have a ton of dough for a couple of resorts (Which isn't me :) )
When you borrow points from the upcoming year do you have to pay your maintenance fees in advance? We have a couple of weeks in a conventional timeshare at present and know when banking a week from say next year I have to pay maintenance fees in advance prior to them being accepted.
Cheers,
Grumbo

Originally posted by Grumbo
...(snip).....When you borrow points from the upcoming year do you have to pay your maintenance fees in advance? We have a couple of weeks in a conventional timeshare at present and know when banking a week from say next year I have to pay maintenance fees in advance prior to them being accepted.
Cheers,
Grumbo

No, you do not have to pay maintenance fees in advance to borrow points.

Disney has a couple of safeguards built in, though. If you are not current with dues (say someone did borrow points and then didn't pay dues), you will not be able to make a reservation. Also, you cannot sell a contract if the dues are not current - the dues have to be current at closing.

Maintenance fees are not changed if you bank or borrow, they are still due on an annual basis.

If you do buy resale, maintenance fees are an item that you will have to negotiate. Some sellers will want to be reimbursed for current year maintenance dues, especially if there are current year points still available. You also have to negotiate closing costs, they are usually the responsibility of the buyer, but you can negotiate that. If you buy from DVC, they pay closing costs and maintenance fees are charged on a pro-rata basis from the date you put down your deposit.

CarolMN, if you sold your 250 points together but they are actually 2 contracts, will that affect closing costs? Will closing costs be separate for each?

Originally posted by DebbieB
...(snip)....CarolMN, if you sold your 250 points together but they are actually 2 contracts, will that affect closing costs? Will closing costs be separate for each?

My understanding is that closing costs would be the same for a single contract of 250 points as they would be if we sold ours together to the same buyer. However, I am not 100% positive that is the case.

Maybe Dean will see this - he will probably know for sure.

There are no closing costs through DVC. Buying 150 plus 75 or 100 is the best way to go. No downside and plenty of benefits in doing so. For a resale it would increase the closing costs. You could always buy resale then do an add on through DVC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter